Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Itialian Rest

Options
  • 05-04-2007 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone suggest a good Italian restaurant in Galway city?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Da Roberta's in Salthill. You might be more successful if you post in the Galway forum though...;-)

Seriously, this is why theres a galway section.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

For the christing love of jesus, i'm sick of you Galway shít bags treating after hours like the Galway forum. There are other towns in Ireland you know. Christ. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Trattoria(sp?) across from the quays, the wine is lovely there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Trattoria definitely - I love it

There is also a nice one downstairs in Bridge Mills, huge pizzas.

barrett1965, I see you're new here. Come visit Galway forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=475

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Moved from AH. This is the place for Galway threads tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

biko wrote:
    There is also a nice one downstairs in Bridge Mills, huge pizzas.
    Yea, Holywell I think it's called. They used to be in a rural area and just moved in to the Bridge Mills. Very nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭barrett1965

Thanks for the replies, and apologies for not posting in the correct forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

don't worry about it - some gimps have little else to complain about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭barrett1965

Indeed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

al muretto just off foster st

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

I think Al Muretto is the best italian in Galway, it has an excellent menu.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

al muretto underwhelms me but I like da robertas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

So definitely Holywell, under the bridge mills. They used be in Holywell, down ny the Ailwee Cave, but got shut due to lack of planning permission, and now they've three. I think Lahinch/Liscannor, Galway and somewhere else I can't remember. Delish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

biko wrote:
    Trattoria definitely - I love it

Seconded. Smashing place, the Pizzas are mighty. Popular spot though, be sure and book ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

I've heard a lot of good reports about the Holywell place recently, must go soon!

If you just fancy a bit of Italian grub without the whole formal restaurant deal, Buon Appetito on Abbeygate St (between CPs and Lynchs Castle) is a great wee café. Serve beer n wine too, and with a couple of tables to sit outside if you like...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I was just in HW for a Calzone yesterday. Lovely!
    Although they left that white crust on the Brie that was inside it. I love Brie but the crust is bleeh :(

Speaking of pizza; Sweden has not, until recently, been well known for its spectacular food. One thing that Sweden has always excelled at, however, is pizza. If you are ever in Sweden–try some Swedish pizza. Now, I am not alone in feeling this way. I have had guests from around the world taste Swedish pizza and they too find it irresistible. Why, exactly, is that? Go to any pizza shop, any, and you will find a menu of pizza names that count at least 30-40, but sometimes upward a 100 different types of pizza.

You do have your standard calzone and you have your ham and mushrooms – type of pizzas. But they are soon dwarfed by pizza combinations that are generally not seen at an everyday pizza place in most places around the world. Check out Africana… curry, banana, pineapple. On pizza? Yes – and it’s insanely good. How about Venus? Tabasco, ground beef, chili, garlic and onion. Or how about Cozze? Mozzarella, mussels, giant shrimp, garlic and parsley. It struck me that Swedish pizzas employ a fascinating range of food combinations and that, usually, these food combinations are surprising to people outside of Sweden. At some point, clearly, Swedish pizza makers stepped into some Intersection and created a Medici effect - one that made the pizzas taste very, very good.

Swedish pizza salad
    A delicious tangy salad that goes perfect with pizza!
    Ingredients
    * half head of white cabbage, ca 500 g
    * 100 mL rape oil
    * 2 tbs white vinegar
    * salt
    * coarsely-ground pepper
    Preparation
    Slice the cabbage finely, around 1.5 mm. You can also crush the sliced cabbage to get a juicier salad.
    Make a dressing of oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper, and mix it with the cabbage. Put the salad in the fridge at least over night. Serve together with pizza. Serves 8 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭paconnors

Da Roberta's in Salthill Gets my Vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭the-furbo

Milanos or Da Robertas both are really good!

Advertisement