Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Clare Hall Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Actually checked it again.. The whole centre is:

Clare Hall will comprise some 8,955 sq.m of retail space on three levels with the Tesco anchor store located on the first floor. The scheme will also accommodate a food court which will occupy up to 1,208 sq.m . On the ground and first floors there will be 28 unit shops which have been designed to suit a wide range of both multiple and independent retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Originally posted by Dub13
    Also there is a big hotel going up just across the road from this new Tesco,that whole area is going to change for the better.

That's my summer holiday plans sorted then! A romantic weekend in Coolock, just across the road from Tesco is just what the doctor ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Actually checked it again.. The whole centre is:

Clare Hall will comprise some 8,955 sq.m of retail space on three levels with the Tesco anchor store located on the first floor. The scheme will also accommodate a food court which will occupy up to 1,208 sq.m . On the ground and first floors there will be 28 unit shops which have been designed to suit a wide range of both multiple and independent retailers.
    Yeah but that's the centre...i.e. Gamestop etc too, no?

So perhaps the Tesco is 5,500 sq.m, therefore under the limit?

Originally posted by NoelRock
    Yeah but that's the centre...i.e. Gamestop etc too, no?

So perhaps the Tesco is 5,500 sq.m, therefore under the limit?

Depends what they consider to be one warehouse..... Do they consider the Tesco store and one or the whole centre?
    Under existing rules in the Republic, the largest single-use retail warehouse cannot exceed 6,000 square metres

• Registered Users Posts: 78,247 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think B&Q in Liffey Valley may have been allowed to ignore the limit.. That store seems to be massive, not sure though..
    They bypassed it by building 5 stores at the limit and then merging them into one store, which the judge said wasn't a material alteration and wouldn't need planning permisison.
    Depends what they consider to be one warehouse..... Do they consider the Tesco store and one or the whole centre?
    Just the Tesco.

• Advertisement

I was waiting for ya to come along :)

:p

Well I managed to get over there last night at about 10 or so...

I actually live pretty close to it..

It has very nice wide aisles... no stupid music in the background.

And the best offer in shop quite simply has to be Unicron out of transformers for only €19.99, it costs €80 in Smyths.

It's huge, but really hard to transform... I missed a morning of work trying to get him to turn into a planet... no luck yet though...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Also there is a big hotel going up just across the road from this new Tesco,that whole area is going to change for the better.

Right beside the Governments affordable housing?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by Victor
    They bypassed it by building 5 stores at the limit and then merging them into one store, which the judge said wasn't a material alteration and wouldn't need planning permisison. Just the Tesco.
    What's to stop IKEA or whomever doing this too? Looks like a loophole.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Anybody know what Hotel group are building the new Hotel there (Right beside the Governments affordable housing).....?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Talking about this cheap petrol at 81.9... When the hell is this coming to the southside?

Originally posted by fluffer
    Talking about this cheap petrol at 81.9... When the hell is this coming to the southside?

You lot dont need it with all the cash you lot have....all these off shore accounts and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I think you'll find they are all crammed into Howth and Malahide. Blackrock and co. are so passe..

Anybody know what Hotel group are building the new Hotel there (Right beside the Governments affordable housing).....?

I belive it's a Bewleys hotel...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Originally posted by fluffer

Well there is one in Waterford, probably a bit too southside tho'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

The self scan checkouts are brilliant... you walk up to them, press start and then scan your stuff in. Loose items like apples and stuff are easy to do, select loose items and then choose your fruit / bread / etc. They don't check age (or at least not when I've been there - various times between midnight and 4am over the last week).

After you scan an item in you have to put it in the bagging area... until you do so you can't scan the next item. Also, you can't put any old item on because they seem to know somehow. It's not radio frequencies like PC World or whatever uses for their security because all Tesco products use EAN standard 13 digit barcodes so I am assuming that they do it by weight but I would love to know more about it.

It doesn't let you buy booze on the self-scan does it?

Does it let you buy condoms? that would be really great.. as I still get embarrassed trying to buy the things from a human... ha

Every barcode number is associated with a product, this product has a standard weight. Your shopping is weighed and then compared to the weight of the items you scanned into the machine. If it all matches, dandy..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

It's fairly slick that self scan system. It even goes so far as to block you from scanning anything in if you remove anything from the pile of stuff you've already scanned through.

I know this, because one of the checkout girls was watching me scan stuff through and came over to take a 4 pack of yoghurt from my pile, which leads me onto my next point....

She thought that I had to scan the yoghurt through 4 times, but we checked on screen and it did charge me for a multipack. But there are no doubt some multipack items in the store that only scan through as one unit. Although, I suppose the weight thingy would pick it up straight away. Feckers are too clever...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by robbie1876
    But there are no doubt some multipack items in the store that only scan through as one unit. Although, I suppose the weight thingy would pick it up straight away. Feckers are too clever...
    :dunno: based on how well they can work out the €/kg .....

You could screw it but it would need a bit of prep work.. Just replace something you scanned with something more expensive but the same weight...

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

I belive it's a Bewleys hotel...

It's actually a Hilton hotel believe it or not :eek: . There is also a load of appartments going up behind it, plus Marks and Spensers and Superquinn are in a bidding war for the shopspace under the afore mentioned appartments. ( I have a friend in the know ).

With the sale of Belcamp college complete the plans for the N32 and City Junction ( thats what their calling the area now, well at least the builders are ) are quite ambitious.

The people in the know are referring to the whole project as an urban city centre......... go figure

A Hilton hotel well I have heard it all now, :eek: .That whole are is going to change for the better I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

The Hilton Darndale Hotel. Catchy, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

isnt dundrum going to be the biggest shopping centre in the country when it opens?

robbie1876 wrote:
    I've yet to try Clare Hall at 3am, but I've a very late gig this Friday so I'll let you know!!
    Tesco moved into their new Arklow store in april, it is humungously huge too, maybe 3 or 4 times the size of their old one and open 24hrs
    I've been in at 3am, it's gas to see people shopping at that hour.

They applied for planning permission there for a petrol station and guess what...
    At the last minute the local petrol retailers put in an objection to the planning :mad:

Stimpyone wrote:
    With the sale of Belcamp college complete the plans for the N32 and City Junction ( thats what their calling the area now, well at least the builders are ) are quite ambitious. The people in the know are referring to the whole project as an urban city centre......... go figure
    The area between Malahide Road, Clare Hall Road, the railway line and the city boundary (the stream) is being built on and will have a town centre.

Victor wrote:
    The area between Malahide Road, Clare Hall Road, the railway line and the city boundary (the stream) is being built on and will have a town centre.

Anybody have any links for this new area...?as I am from close to it.

• Advertisement

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=%22North+fringe%22&btnG=Google+Search&meta=cr%3DcountryIE

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=%22hole+in+the+wall+road%22+%22grange+road%22&meta=cr%3DcountryIE

In particular http://www.pleanala.ie/s37eis140704.doc
    Location: Site at Balgriffen Park, bounded by Malahide Road to the West, Mayne River to the North, Grange Road Extension to the South and Hole In The Wall Road to the East, Dublin 17.

Development: 10 year planning permission for a development on a 36.6 ha site, comprising residential and mixed uses and providing 2,180 no. dwelling units and 10, 052 sq.m of retail, commercial and community uses.

Planning Authority: Dublin City Council, Planning Department, Civic Offices, Wood Quay, Dublin 8.
    Planning Authority Register Reference No.: 4315/03

Planning Authority Decision: To grant permission with conditions.
    Applicant: Shannon Homes (Dublin) Ltd.

Appellants: Tommy Broughan TD; Clare Hall Residents Association; and Shannon Homes (Dublin) Ltd.
    Appeal Reference Number: PL 29N.207192

Advertisement