Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Fitting

Options
  • 22-04-2014 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

I ride with Castlebar myself! Unfortantly I cant help you with the exacts of the bike fit but I will suggest setting up your laptop and recording your self cycling on the turbo and review your position by playing it back and then make changes accordingly. Its what I done myself. The book "Serious Cycling" (the one with Lance on the cover) has a guide that I followed with a few angles and things but i basically went with what looked good, although as I race I basically went for the lowest position I could adopt, that said ive never had any pain other than the burn and it feels efficient :D

I would suggest if this pain is prolonging it might be wise to invest in a proper set up, in connacht i cant think of anyone other than Fitscience in Ballina but I belive the price is pretty steep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

RHJ wrote: »

I often wonder about some of these posts in regard to bikefitting, there is an industry growing up around what is a relatively simple procedure that most people should be able to do quite easily if they just look for the information and make a bit of an effort. There is no doubt that there is a minority of cyclist that will benefit from a bikefit from a very experienced coach or bikefitter, but it is the minority that requires a bikefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

To find the ball of your foot, get some brown paper and a basin of water, dip your feet in the water, stand on the paper, then get busy with a ruler measuring the distance from your heel to the ball of your foot. then check the thickness of your shoes at the back of your heel, then transfer that to the sole to locate your cleat under the ball of your foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

failing all that - aidan ryan at ucd (belfield) bike shop does a bike fitting for 50 squid. i recommend him having gone myself

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭mp31

I seen this guy recommended on previous bike fit posts: http://bikefittingireland.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

If you've been reading Steve Hoggs stuff you may have noticed his page on knee pain

http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/11/knee-pain/

You might have some luck with Speedplay pedals that allow greater float but it may be worth checking the degree of float that your current cleats allow.

He has particularly useful info about setting seat height which will make your geniometer redundant. Its well worth a read and it works very well. There's no guesswork involved.

http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/02/seat-height-how-hard-can-it-be/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

Thank you H.E it appears from reading his blog that he problem i am having with my left knee is may saddle is to high so i will try dropping it by 10mm and see how i get on.

BTW how do you measure seat height?
    If the saddle height is creating a problem, would it not affect both legs?

It may or may not be too high but its a good start. There are instructions in his seat height article (http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/02/seat-height-how-hard-can-it-be/) about cycling up a hill one gear higher than is comfortable. You'll soon see the difference between a fluid pedal stroke and one that hesitates slightly on the bottom of the stroke (like being on a step machine). Its easier felt than described but I've found that article to be very helpful.

If the saddle height is creating a problem, would it not affect both legs?

I would have thought so too but the article describes how people compensate for the overreach, usually favouring one side, most often the right, straining the left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

I gave up my Look's a long time ago for speedplay pedals.

Give them a look and a try if possible. They are the best for allowing movement. Never had a problem with knee pain after I moved to them.
    Also do speedplay pedals allow you to use them just using normal shoes the reason I ask is that I have recently moved in to a much smaller house so I will unfortunately have to get rid of the old hyrbrid bike I have.
    Normal shoes? I do not think so. You will want a pair of bike shoes. I have used Speed plays with Sidi and Look shoes.

Any one will do: X5, Zero, X2.

The road bike pedals offer the most degrees of freedom, but are difficult to walk in. The mountain bike version is easier to walk in, but offer less degrees of freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

it's usually measured from the centre of the bottom bracket to the top of the saddle. The saddle presumed to be horizontal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Also do speedplay pedals allow you to use them just using normal shoes the reason I ask is that I have recently moved in to a much smaller house so I will unfortunately have to get rid of the old hyrbrid bike.

My husband got these for our holiday last year as we had to cycle into town in the evenings.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/speedplay-zero-pedal-covers/rp-prod51480

A general way to measure seat height is by trial and error. With your shoes on and the cranks at the 12:00 and 6:00 position, your heel should just touch the 6:00 crank with leg fully extended.

Now when you click in, you will have that slight bend in the leg which we talk about.

Do you have a trainer? I find them useful for sizing.

Otherwise, bring the allen wrench and cycle a few miles, hopping on and off for fine tuning.

Sorry for the delay, I bought my Speed Play's in the States.

• Advertisement

RHJ,
    Adjusting your saddle is part science part art. There are lot's of wrong ways to do it, but no one right methodolgy.

I am not sure if there are procedures or rules of thumb. With that said, your procedure sounds fine.

We are still talking about a pain in the knee only, correct? No soreness elsewhere.

I bet when you put the speedplays on, all of your pain/troubles go away. That's what happened to me. I had a pair of looks and tweaked the cleats for days, still had knee pain. I rode a friend's speedplays, and never looked back.

After the knee pain is gone you will have to fine tune the saddle for whatever suits you.

In the mean time, make sure the saddle is level and straight. Get the speedplay pedals and cleats, adjust for the slight bend, and hit the road with your allen wrenches.

Personally, my saddle is not perfectly straight. After months of cycling I notice one side of the saddle nose was more polished than the other. A slight turn away from the rubbing sorted it out.

Don't over tighten the speedplay screws. If you have a torque wrech use it as they come with blue thread lok.

Also, you'll get used to the Speedplays fast, however, that first time you try them on, you may be a bit scared that you're going to click out - the feel so free. Give them a chance, I sprint with the big boys and they have never failed me.

Let us know how they work out. Not much point adjusting the saddle now as the cleats and pedals are bound to change the seat height.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

This might be useful if you have an iPad/iPhone (not sure if it's available on Android): www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057106951

Gives lots of info on bike fitting and allows you to record yourself and measure angles/distances etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭G1032

Hello everyone,

I have decided to get back to cycling after a brief break due to personal circumstances I would like to rejoin my local cycling club in Castlebar, but every time I come back from one of their spins my left knee hurts badly the pain appears to originate at the front, just below the Kneecap last time the pain lasted for around two weeks before gradually disappearing.

The issue I have been having is most likely an issue due to either the position of my cleats or my position on the bike, or it could just be a combination of both. Anyway to get to the point I would be grateful if somebody on here could help me out by either pointing me in the direction of some good bike fitting guides online or recommending a bike fitter who will be able to fit me to my bike cheaply.

Equipment I currently have a hand includes
    • Bike trainer
    • plumb bob
    • Goniometer (a device used for measuring angles)
    • Look Keo pedals with the grey cleats
    • Ergon TP1 Pedal Cleat Tool for look Keo pedals
    • And last but not least, the most important item my road bike.

I would appreciate any advice as I would love to get out cycling properly without coming back injured every time.

Padraig Marrey in Ballinrobe will fit you for your bike. He fitted me earlier this year. He'll adjust your cleats first then fit you to the bike. He charged me €60 but it was money well spent imo. Took about an hour and 15 minutes in total and also worked with me on my pedalling technique.

Advertisement