Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ras an Laois

• 09-04-2014 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Is anyone going to Ras an laois in Rathdowney on Easter Sunday

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 paris1216

It is an A3/A4 men and womens road race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

paris1216 wrote: »
    It is an A3/A4 men and womens road race

Not sure, its a long way from Dublin and it's Easter weekend, but it is the nearest A4 race in the country that weekend.

Its just off the N7 I was looking at the map on their website seems a good route.

Ras an Laois on Easter Sunday
    A3 and A4 men and womens road race starting in Rathdowney at 1pm
    visit www.ossorycc.com :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

Quite possibly doing this.
    Did the A4 last year. Grand flattish circuit with one small drag in the middle.
    For me it was the week after lennymc pulled me down in Lucan so I just sat at the back all the way round and finished with a much depleted lead bunch.
    As karma would have it....I think lenny punctured out that day.
    I'm just saying.

Recommend the race though, good and fast.

• Advertisement

Done it myself was a good experience going through the town very fast!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Slo_Rida wrote: »
    Quite possibly doing this.
    Did the A4 last year. Grand flattish circuit with one small drag in the middle.
    For me it was the week after lennymc pulled me down in Lucan so I just sat at the back all the way round and finished with a much depleted lead bunch.
    As karma would have it....I think lenny punctured out that day.
    I'm just saying.

Recommend the race though, good and fast.

One small drag? It's a mountain!

Last year group split on the hill and about a 1/3rd went up the road. If you weren't in the front half you weren't in with a chance of catching. Completed the laps and saw Lennymc with a puncture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭bren_mc

One small drag? It's a mountain!

yes, that my recollection too. Hung on for the first lap last year only to get dropped second time around:(

I think I'll give it another go this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Just like to say thanks to Ossory CC for a well organised event. Great sandwiches and biscuits after too and one of the ladies looking after the tea couldn't have been more generous with the amount of refills being offered.

Tough race for me and after getting dropped the second time up the hill I chased hard with a Waterford rider for 8-9km and we eventually got back on. That was me done though and I sat up and rolled in coming into town as I was never going to be able to sprint.

Hopefully I'll get chance to race it again next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

Nice little circuit this one.

Well run by Ossory CC. Hairy enough finish!!

I attacked a4 race a fair few times and got away for a while but got caught at top of climb 2nd time up. Pretty boring race (standard non aggressive racing in a4 especially out of the town!!) that's why I spent most of the day jumping when I could. Knew it would end in a bunch kick which I had zero interest in partaking in.

Got a good hit out & did some good hard efforts so happy enough.

Great circuit & well organised by OssoryCC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭macbane66

cipo wrote: »
    Nice little circuit this one.

Well run by Ossory CC. Hairy enough finish!!

I attacked a4 race a fair few times and got away for a while but got caught at top of climb 2nd time up. Pretty boring race (standard non aggressive racing in a4 especially out of the town!!) that's why I spent most of the day jumping when I could. Knew it would end in a bunch kick which I had zero interest in partaking in.

Got a good hit out & did some good hard efforts so happy enough.

Great circuit & well organised by OssoryCC.

good man cipo, were you wearing a red jeresy? Had a couple of go's also myself. Myself and one of the nenagh lads I think caught you on the hill 2nd time up, I thought we would do more damage on the climb 2nd time around the reduce the pack down a little. Had another pop couple of 4km out but was cooked. Saw one faller in the sprint think he was ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

Yeah that was me in orange & black Fixx Rouleurs gear.

All it needed was a few turns over the top of the climb & a group could've moved away again!!!

I wasn't really looking to solo off just wanted to try break up the race a bit & a get a smaller more willing-to-race group away.

Good circuit & fair play to Ossory - they did a great job.

*Lad who crashed on sprint looked like he did a collarbone... Was lying down at finish & ambulance took him away. Hope it's not too bad.
    Exactly why I won't be getting stuck into a4 sprint finishes. Some lads are nuts and/ or cant handle effort / speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭joey100

Seen you go off the front a few times too Cipo, i went once or twice too, probably too early in the race though (black jersey, yellow arm warmers). Got a bit tight coming into the last few kilometres with riders on both sides of the road and no way of getting around them. Was going to try make a jump around 4km out but no way through the group at all. Just settled in for a group finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭macbane66

Yeah I was same thinking cipo , sprint finish last year there also, didn't end well for a few lads and there bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Homer1798

It was a good attack Cipo, 2 or 3 more with you and you would of stayed away. I think the problem is the race was too short, first time up the hill the bunch strung out a little but remained together, second time around it started to split but the pressure wasn't sustained after the descent. I think another lap would have been enough to make the race more selective, in saying this I get the impression that most A4's are happy enough to be finishing in the bunch and therefore the races are less aggressive than A3's.

Advertisement