Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pressure treated deal

Options
  • 21-04-2014 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

Trying to figure out what the life expectancy of pre treated deal fence posts. I think they claim 20 years? I assume driving them straight into the ground will reduce that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

I think you'd be doing very well to get 20 years out of any timber posts unless they are treated like ESB poles...
    I had pressure treated posts (probably just tanalith e treated) put in about 8 years ago and some of them are starting to go rotten, strangely enough at the top of the post rather than under the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I think you'd be doing very well to get 20 years out of any timber posts unless they are treated like ESB poles...
    I had pressure treated posts (probably just tanalith e treated) put in about 8 years ago and some of them are starting to go rotten, strangely enough at the top of the post rather than under the ground.

With any luck I won't still be living here in 8 years so that should do fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

8 Years.... pretty poor quality. I have post and rail that I put in in 1992 and it's still in good condition.
    I reckon, nowadays, most of what is sold as pressure treated is only dipped, so about 10 years is probably about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

i have timber posts in my back garden, in there 18 yrs, only ever get fencelife on them every few yrs and i expect them to be still there in another 18

Advertisement