Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus refunds

Options
  • 19-04-2014 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

is there a time limit on getting a refund on dublin bus tickets .ive just found a bunch dating back nearly eight years .must be over thirty euros worth .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

is there a time limit on getting a refund on dublin bus tickets .ive just found a bunch dating back nearly eight years .must be over thirty euros worth .

Nope,no time limit.they are valid in perpetuity....Maybe consider that most registered charities will be glad to accept bundled Change Tickets (My own favorite would be ALONE) ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I always keep mine till I have about €5 worth and send them to dogs trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Nope,no time limit.they are valid in perpetuity....Maybe consider that most registered charities will be glad to accept bundled Change Tickets (My own favorite would be ALONE) ;)

They mightn't have a time limit, but they sure do fade...well they did pre leap

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've claimed one in pence relatively recently - found a bundle of them when moving house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

They dont expire. But try to have them in order of value. There is nothing worse than emptying a plastic bag full of them and expecting them in Dublin bus to sort through them and add them up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

hfallada wrote: »
    They dont expire. But try to have them in order of value. There is nothing worse than emptying a plastic bag full of them and expecting them in Dublin bus to sort through them and add them up
    If they don't like it, then maybe they could put a better system in place.

No Pants wrote: »

Oddly enuff,"They" are not required to have ANY system in place.

The giving of change in these commercial transactions is purely a concession on the part of the trader concerned.

Once a price,(fare) is advertised publicly,then it is up to the purchaser to proffer the correct amount..I think it used to be covered under what was called the Truck Acts,however I could'nt be bothered to research it any more as the Leap Card will eventually consign it to the skip of "stuff we used to give out over"....but don't fret,a suitable replacement will be found :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Oddly enuff,"They" are not required to have ANY system in place.

The giving of change in these commercial transactions is purely a concession on the part of the trader concerned.
    I'm aware of that, but shops that exercise their right to not give change tend to not have any customers. I avoid using Dublin Bus anymore, not because of this, but because they couldn't handle a €5 note being used to pay a fare greater than €5. I have a Leap card, but I find that my local private bus company, although slightly more expensive, provides a faster, more reliable and more comfortable service and would drive through a wall if there was a fare on the other side.

OP, just give your receipts to charity and save yourself the hassle.

I'm aware of that, but shops that exercise their right to not give change tend to not have any customers. I avoid using Dublin Bus anymore, not because of this, but because they couldn't handle a €5 note being used to pay a fare greater than €5. I have a Leap card, but I find that my local private bus company, although slightly more expensive, provides a faster, more reliable and more comfortable service and would drive through a wall if there was a fare on the other side.

OP, just give your receipts to charity and save yourself the hassle.

+1 to the charity angle.

Maybe not so much to the spirited bus driving bit though ;)

Once you are happy then everyone's a winner surely ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-GkwIRbLw8

Music to drive through walls by.....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Yes, they have three a) season ticket b) having the correct change or c) use a Leap card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

Five Lamps wrote: »
    Yes, they have three a) season ticket b) having the correct change or c) use a Leap card.

Or D) elect a government that takes law & order seriously.

Remember that this system is not in place because either DB or their staff saw it as their preferred option. After dozens of violent attacks/robberies of bus drivers in the 1990s for their change, it became the ONLY option.

C635

Five Lamps wrote: »
    season ticket
    How long is that good for and how much does it cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Conway635 wrote: »
    Or D) elect a government that takes law & order seriously.

Remember that this system is not in place because either DB or their staff saw it as their preferred option. After dozens of violent attacks/robberies of bus drivers in the 1990s for their change, it became the ONLY option.

C635

That is a good justification to stop giving change, but doe snot justify not accepting their change vouchers as part payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

How long is that good for and how much does it cost?

I run through the figures and I found that it is a better deal for CIE/DB than for the commuters. If they are serious about getting people on public transport, they need to look at successful models in other countries (Spain, Sweden, etc)

Zynks wrote: »
    That is a good justification to stop giving change, but doe snot justify not accepting their change vouchers as part payment.

Good enough justification in my mind,with thankfully almost two decades of operation allowing most folks to acclimatise themselves to it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZyzWF4OZiA&feature=share

Well,maybe SOME folks ....... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLIMqYox06g :D

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

Good enough justification in my mind,with thankfully almost two decades of operation allowing most folks to acclimatise themselves to it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZyzWF4OZiA&feature=share

Well,maybe SOME folks ....... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLIMqYox06g :D

Ha, the end of the news report in the second clip refers to the autofare/no change system as another step on the road to completely cashless buses. Nearly 20 years on it's turning out to be a a very long road

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I run through the figures and I found that it is a better deal for CIE/DB than for the commuters. If they are serious about getting people on public transport, they need to look at successful models in other countries (Spain, Sweden, etc)

And how do you arrive at that conclusion?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 fop991

where get season ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 lajtel

How is Swedens model more successful than Irelands?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

fop991 wrote: »
    where get season ticket.

What sort of ticket do you want?

The full list of Dublin Bus tickets are here:
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Not another 'successful model'. I'm struggling to keep up. bk was only mentioning somewhere in Poland along with others a few months ago, now it's Sweden and Spain and the lingering affair with London and sometimes Edinburgh.

What city will the next successful model be attached to...

Advertisement