Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Damp Proof Membrane

• 20-04-2014 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to lay some laminate flooring on a concrete subfloor. The house is only 6 years old, so I am assuming the floor already has a dpm. Led to believe it is standard practice on new houses? However, haven't a clue to be honest.

Also, bought the cheap underlay, 2mil, as the laminate has 'built in' underlay. Am I an idiot?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

myshirt wrote: »
    I'm looking to lay some laminate flooring on a concrete subfloor. The house is only 6 years old, so I am assuming the floor already has a dpm. Led to believe it is standard practice on new houses? However, haven't a clue to be honest.

Also, bought the cheap underlay, 2mil, as the laminate has 'built in' underlay. Am I an idiot?

I never heard of laminate having a built in underlay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I never heard of laminate having a built in underlay

Well, a thin bit of padding glued to the board.

I got it at €16 a sq mtr, so it's mid range tack. Nothing special

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Well, a thin bit of padding glued to the board.

I got it at €16 a sq mtr, so it's mid range tack. Nothing special

myshirt

Adverts | Friends

A beast of a post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

A six year old floor should be well dried out by now.
    IMO you don't need a dpc as there should be one in the floor already. The laminate underlay will separate the laminate from the concrete surface anyway. You say there is rubber bonded to the underside of your laminate boards, so this will also prevent contact between the wood and conc.

Some people do recomment a dpc under laminate. It depends on your wood type, your floor dryness and age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Personally I'd feel safer with a dpm if there are any water pipes running underneath. Buried pipes have been known to leak.
    Also, the padding might already serve as a dpm so check the instructions that come with the laminate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Thanks guys, I've just put it down with the cheap underlay. I am going to trust the water pipes are dropped enough.

So the room is 13.5 foot wide, and the length of two boards nearly gave me that, but didn't. About 8mil out on each side. What do I do about that? As to do it the easy way there would be a load of wastage.

Being the genius I am, I only copped this after pulling off the skirting boards. Should have left them on or put them back on and went with the beading. I just proceeded and put the floor down, but now I'm slightly out.

I was thinking of putting some 2x1 at the back of the skirting board to bring it out so the room looks tidier.

I just really don't want to buy beading or new skirting boards. I've also a few marks on the wall from pulling the skirting boards off with the nail bar which the wife is giving out about that I f#cked it all up and should just have got the beading as she only cleaned that wall. So, I've to recover face!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

Thanks guys, I've just put it down with the cheap underlay. I am going to trust the water pipes are dropped enough.

So the room is 13.5 foot wide, and the length of two boards nearly gave me that, but didn't. About 8mil out on each side. What do I do about that? As to do it the easy way there would be a load of wastage.

Being the genius I am, I only copped this after pulling off the skirting boards. Should have left them on or put them back on and went with the beading. I just proceeded and put the floor down, but now I'm slightly out.

I was thinking of putting some 2x1 at the back of the skirting board to bring it out so the room looks tidier.

I just really don't want to buy beading or new skirting boards. I've also a few marks on the wall from pulling the skirting boards off with the nail bar which the wife is giving out about that I f#cked it all up and should just have got the beading as she only cleaned that wall. So, I've to recover face!

Just use the off cut from one row to start off the next one mate

You should have very little waste at all

Just leave a couple mm gap all round the edges allow for expansion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

nerrad1983 wrote: »
    Just use the off cut from one row to start off the next one mate

You should have very little waste at all

Just leave a couple mm gap all round the edges allow for expansion
    OP, Follow the laying instructions included with the laminate, A "couple of mm" is not literally 2mm, it's likely to be closer to 10mm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭whizbang

Make sure you start the first with a cut piece.
    Cut the first about 1/3rd length, then you need a 2/3rd length for the start of the second row.

Advertisement