Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PVC Door - no key

Options
  • 22-04-2014 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

So new house but no key for the patio door. I have been told I can drill the barrell. HAs anyone done this before? Is it hard to do.

Also is there any alternatives?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Can you open the door

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

muddle84 wrote: »
    Hello all,

So new house but no key for the patio door. I have been told I can drill the barrell. HAs anyone done this before? Is it hard to do.

Yes i've done it, it can take quite a while and I'd consider myself a good diy'er. You could also try remove the handles from each side and see if you can snap the barrel.

Once you get the old barrel out you'll need to shape a piece of metal or coat hanger to engage with the lock and rotate it the correct direction...

Drill from the outside, make sure to wear glasses as stuff will be flying every where. If i was doing it again I would not drill the part of the barrel where the key goes in i'd drill the bottom bit and then snap the barrel in two.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Hello all,

So new house but no key for the patio door. I have been told I can drill the barrell. Has anyone done this before? Is it hard to do.

Is the door open ? Easier to replace if so.

Eitherway, you need to remove the screws from the inside handle, 2, may be 3. These hold the two handles together. Once removed, you will have exposed the cylinder. It is possible that one side will protrude more, could be on either in or outside. If this is the case, get a vice grips onto the cylinder and snap it ( Left to fight movement ). It wont put up much of a fight. Once snapped, you will then need to disengage the door locking mechanism ( you will see from your new cylinder how this works - a small screwdriver should suffice).

Once open, you will see a long screw which will have to be removed as this was holding the old cylinder centered and securely in place. The new cylinder will have a replacement one. The refitting of new cylinder is a piece of p1ss ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭muddle84

Carpenter wrote: »
    Can you open the door

Nope afraid not. The door is locked.
    Yes i've done it, it can take quite a while and I'd consider myself a good diy'er. You could also try remove the handles from each side and see if you can snap the barrel.

Once you get the old barrel out you'll need to shape a piece of metal or coat hanger to engage with the lock and rotate it the correct direction...

Drill from the outside, make sure to wear glasses as stuff will be flying every where. If i was doing it again I would not drill the part of the barrel where the key goes in i'd drill the bottom bit and then snap the barrel in two.

Do you mean you would "aim" for the bolt that holds the barrell in place? Did the barrell make **** of your drill bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Forget the drill, just get a vice grips. The cylinder will snap at the weakest point, which happens to be right in the centre where the retaining bolt sits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I have often drilled out barrells when keys are lost, i question a barrell snapping in two so easily inside a door, where do you get the leverage to physically force the barrell to snap it while in the door?

I have often drilled out barrells when keys are lost, i question a barrell snapping in two so easily inside a door, where do you get the leverage to physically force the barrell to snap it while in the door?

What drill bit do you use?

What drill bit do you use?

I start with a 3-4mm, put in 8-10mm bit and the lock unlocks if you are drilling on the same side of the door as the key would turn to unlock it, the material is easy drilling with good bits, last one i drilled out i won a €20 bet, i bet him i would have the door opened quicker than he would have a fag smoked.

Thats great. Do you aim for the centre of the roumd part with the drill??

Thanks everybody for all the advise. Very helpful indeed!!

I drill where the key goes.

• Advertisement

Finally got around to tackling this last night. Very easy to do! I can now open and lock my door from the inside with a flathead screwdriver!!!

Thanks everyone!

Advertisement