Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Monetary Theory and the economic crisis

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

True indeed - though to be honest, I think that fear is more of a 'taboo' than most else; the fear of that, seems to be so great, that it actually precludes any discussion, of comparing the damage (and potential damage) of private money creation, versus public/government money creation - and of the mechanics of money creation and inflation itself.

That's a discussion that's necessary, in order to actually ground that fear in anything other than emotional argument - yet the emotional arguments surrounding that, preclude the actual discussion.

Yes though, it will be quite interesting to see what Martin Wolf has to say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

That is huge, the financial Times is a widely read and respected newspaper. It's a nice theory but the problem I just can't get my head around is how we can trust the government to take enough money out of the economy to prevent inflation when it is in their interest not to. Especially in the final year of an election term.

It would require a responsible government, for sure - the thing is, it is already possible for private sector influence on banks and regulatory capture of the central bank, to create exactly that problem - and that's arguably what happened with the property bubble.

Once governments have power over money creation, they would no longer be able to abdicate responsibility for inflation anymore though, they would be directly responsible - which is a bonus:
    The population would know that government does have the power to control inflation within the economy, through taxes, and so would be able to hold government responsible at election time, for excessive inflation.

I think that the policies that government use of money creation would allow (it would allow permanent full employment, with government as employer of last resort - using a Job Guarantee); I think that would make the population less susceptible to influence by government at election time, by flooding the economy with money, because things would already be kept fairly prosperous, with greatly lessened economic cycles (and with much less social impact, due to the Job Guarantee).

That said, this (populist abuse of fiscal-policy/money-creation) isn't an area I've put a lot of thought into yet :) (discussion hasn't usually gotten this far, in the past)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

Once governments have power over money creation, they would no longer be able to abdicate responsibility for inflation anymore though, they would be directly responsible - which is a bonus:
    The population would know that government does have the power to control inflation within the economy, through taxes, and so would be able to hold government responsible at election time, for excessive inflation.

Unfortunately, I don't think the average voter has a good grasp of monetary policy, and would likely only throw a government out of power after it messes up the economy (having favoured the party who fostered short term growth over long term stability). Look at FF, re-elected into power just a few months before the s*** hit the fan. Maybe I'm wrong since inflation is an easier macroeconomic topic to understand but asking the govt. so self regulate inflation reminds me of the whole "financial sectors will self regulate because its in their best interest" spiel we heard a few years back...

Also it would be interesting to see how this would work within the EU seeing as we don't have a real central bank in this country at present. Probably more integration needed with europe.

^^ That's true, but it's a similar problem to what we have now: The average voter doesn't know anything about banking regulations, so we are going to head into a new period of inflationary bubbles, because nothing has been reformed - same problem, manifested in a different way (and controlled in significant ways, by the private sector in banking/finance).

The public are going to have to get wise, and hold governments to account - whether that be in the current system, or a post-monetary-reform system; and I think it will be far easier to hold people accountable in a post-monetary-reform system, because government would be responsible and easily held accountable, instead of private actors (banks), who can easily abdicate all responsibility.

So educating the public will likely be an important aspect of any changes like this - and it shouldn't be too hard really: Understanding that taxes can be used to fight inflation, isn't all that difficult to grasp, once you get rid of the current incorrect myths/'common-knowledge'/false-knowledge about how economies work - and once a prominent government is successfully making use of money creation, all of those myths are going to be destroyed overnight without needing any real effort.

So you are right about inflation: It is definitely a risk, and it's the biggest threat to ideas like government use of money creation and MMT (though people who just assert 'hyperinflation' - which, to be clear, you are definitely not doing :) - are usually just trying to block all discussion of it) - a government misusing that power and creating significant inflation, carries a great risk of discrediting the whole idea, even though it shouldn't as it would be the fault of the government abusing that power.

Given the amount of power that money creation grants private entities at the moment, it's highly likely there will be deliberate attempts to cause inflation, to discredit the idea and keep that power in private hands - either by lobby influence on government fiscal policy, or by making the mistake of allowing lightly-regulated banks to keep money-creation powers (which they could use to create massive inflationary bubbles again, and blame it on government).

There is past precedent of this - this is how public use of money creation has been discredited in the past.

In Europe, we would definitely need more integration - but there are stop-gap measures, like Tax Anticipation Notes, that allow something analogous to (but not the same as) money creation powers, but which are much more limited and are no panacea.

In the medium/long-run, Europe is either going to need to integrate fiscally, or split back up into using national currencies.

• Advertisement

There is a very good introductory explanation of MMT, which also touches on some less explored parts of the topic (combined Job and Income Guarantee), here:
    http://thenewinquiry.com/essays/the-world-according-to-modern-monetary-theory/

Definitely one of the better all-encompassing overviews I've read; what I'd like the OP to have resembled.

As said in the endogenous money thread - Martin Wolf, comes out in support of public use of money creation:
    Well, this couldn't be more explicit - Martin Wolf:

"Strip private banks of their power to create money"
    http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/7f000b18-ca44-11e3-bb92-00144feabdc0.html

Some more relevant parts:
    ...the central bank would create new money as needed to promote non-inflationary growth. Decisions on money creation would, as now, be taken by a committee independent of government.

Finally, the new money would be injected into the economy in four possible ways: to finance government spending, in place of taxes or borrowing; to make direct payments to citizens; to redeem outstanding debts, public or private; or to make new loans through banks or other intermediaries. All such mechanisms could (and should) be made as transparent as one might wish.

The transition to a system in which money creation is separated from financial intermediation would be feasible, albeit complex. But it would bring huge advantages. It would be possible to increase the money supply without encouraging people to borrow to the hilt. It would end “too big to fail” in banking. It would also transfer seignorage – the benefits from creating money – to the public. In 2013, for example, sterling M1 (transactions money) was 80 per cent of gross domestic product. If the central bank decided this could grow at 5 per cent a year, the government could run a fiscal deficit of 4 per cent of GDP without borrowing or taxing. The right might decide to cut taxes, the left to raise spending. The choice would be political, as it should be.
    This will not happen now. But remember the possibility. When the next crisis comes – and it surely will – we need to be ready.

As described above, part of this can mean, government use of money creation, for fiscal funding - that pretty much vindicates MMT, and from an economist as influential as Martin Wolf no less (again: leading editor of the Financial Times).

This is a pretty big deal, in my view - hopefully should see support for this kick up a lot of steam now, since this is going to help it gain a lot more credibility.

Replying to this here from another thread:
    It's more or less, the work of Milton Friedman. MMT is managing an economy through managing the money supply. It's headache inducing the wrong headed ideas people have about it, but essentially it comes down to managing inflation. Reducing the money supply through CB interest rates to curb inflation, and then in a depression printing money via QE to stop deflation.

When fully applied, it means poor people (that's most of us) pay for a depression through austerity, strangely this also means a massive transfer of wealth from the poor to the rich in bad times, because money is being printed. And when the good times come, the poor receive few to none of the benefits, because the interest rates are kranked up to keep them precariously on the edge of falling onto the dole queue.

Most people who have an opinion of Milton Friedmann, believe he was evil, this includes the rich people who love him. I believe he was just an idiot.
    No, lots of the new stuff being bandied about is in fact the old stuff; Friedman. Friedman could be quite contradictory. So, he could be for a basic income, in the form of a negative tax, but against a welfare payment from social security. His right-wing supporters tended to hear what they wanted to hear and tune out the rest.

He was hypersensitive to criticism and would never admit to flaws or possible mistakes in his theory. After the 1973 coup in Chile, Pinochet asked for his assistance in putting together an economic program. Friedman helped, but later when it proved to have been an unmitigated disaster, Friedman distanced himself from it. The guy had issues.

The fundamental problem with Friedman's ideas, is the can, and have, been used to make the rich richer, and everyone else poorer. But I have a strong feeling they could be rewired for both a reverse of inequality, austerity, and propel real economic growth.
    Thing is, what you're describing there, directly contradicts MMT - MMT doesn't really use monetary policy, it uses fiscal policy to manage the economy.

Many (most) MMTers explicitly state that the interest rate is not really a useful way to manage the economy at all, and that it should be left at zero, but with proper regulation guarding against overlending (since high interest rates are no substitute, for proper regulation).

Again, I largely agree with your nuanced views on Friedman - but MMT is something different altogether to what he advocated :) (even if there are some interesting parallels with Friedman - who was quite an oddity/outlier)

I see today that Ireland's GDP growth is predicted to be .8% above the EU average this year. Also with strong growth in the US and maybe the UK, it's seems very possible we could beat the .3% predicted difference next year. If we are growing faster than our currency partners what problems could this cause?

With the OECD calling for a rates cut to 0% could this fuel another boom in this country and eventual bust when rates rise? Fair enough, as a whole, the Eurozone could probably do with an interest rate cut, but is it what's best for Ireland given our economy seems to be somewhat out of sync with the rest of Europe? This is similar to the conditions which lead to the Celtic Tiger boom and bust fuelled by unnaturally low interest rates thanks to the ECB.

OttoPilot wrote: »
    I see today that Ireland's GDP growth is predicted to be .8% above the EU average this year. Also with strong growth in the US and maybe the UK, it's seems very possible we could beat the .3% predicted difference next year. If we are growing faster than our currency partners what problems could this cause?

With the OECD calling for a rates cut to 0% could this fuel another boom in this country and eventual bust when rates rise? Fair enough, as a whole, the Eurozone could probably do with an interest rate cut, but is it what's best for Ireland given our economy seems to be somewhat out of sync with the rest of Europe? This is similar to the conditions which lead to the Celtic Tiger boom and bust fuelled by unnaturally low interest rates thanks to the ECB.
    GDP growth in Ireland ties into multinationals a lot, so a lot of the GDP growth may not actually benefit us as much as those figures imply - GNP is a better figure to look at.

Interest rates at 0% won't really prime another bubble - not until the existing mountain of debt from the last bubble, deleverages enough.

We do have almost no reform of regulations though, throughout Europe, so once economies start recovering proper and lending increases by a large amount again, we are likely to see more bubbles regardless of what the interest rate is.

A lot of economists, are of the opinion that another financial/economic crisis is almost a certainty, due to the lack of reform - just a matter of when.

• Advertisement

Ok, maybe not us, but for example Latvia, the fastest growing economy in the EU, only joined the Euro this year. With rates at 0 surely they will experience a bubble and crash?

I just googled some of their statistics, private debt is below Germany, France, UK, Italy and I'm sure a lot of others. Govt debt as a percent of GDP is around 40%. GNP is at an all time high. Unemployment is up around 11% but down from a high of 20% three years ago, that's a lot of jobs in such a short space of time! And their credit rating is slightly better than Ireland's. So it seems like they're asking for trouble tying their monetary policy to the Eurozone's.

It's possible I guess, but you need both banks willing to lend recklessly/fraudulently, and people willing to take out the loans.

If Latvia has good banking regulations (I have no idea what their regulations are like), or a government which is smart enough to actively target emerging bubbles with taxes and/or other measures to deflate them, then they can avoid a bubble.

In my own opinion, if a low interest rate has the potential to cause trouble in a country, then their government are already Doing It Wrong™, by not properly regulating the banking sector and monitoring for bubbles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Labarbapostiza

Thing is, what you're describing there, directly contradicts MMT - MMT doesn't really use monetary policy, it uses fiscal policy to manage the economy.

No. There's a very important fiscal component to Friedman (I'll call it Friedman, because the labels confuse - Friedman would complain of people taking his theory and doing their own thing, then calling it monetarism - Thatcher did something interesting in first championing him, then renouncing him.) The fiscal component is in deficits. Deficits are inflationary. People don't realise how radically different political economy was before Friedman. Too many variables were used; coal, steel production, etc. The more variables, the more chaotic the system you're trying to influence. Trying to minimise the possible levers isn't perfect, but it's more predictable (if you've pushed the lever the wrong way, you know what you've done - not like having thousands of dials and buttons, and not knowing which one you shouldn't have pressed or dialled.)

Many (most) MMTers explicitly state that the interest rate is not really a useful way to manage the economy at all, and that it should be left at zero, but with proper regulation guarding against overlending (since high interest rates are no substitute, for proper regulation).

Proper regulation is virtually impossible. Look what happened with the Anglo pair. That they got the probation act is only going to make matters far worse.
    Again, I largely agree with your nuanced views on Friedman - but MMT is something different altogether to what he advocated :) (even if there are some interesting parallels with Friedman - who was quite an oddity/outlier)

He had a lot of theory; he was a theory machine. But, he could be very contradictory. And, most importantly, for economists working in America, if they say what a specific group of wealthy, powerful, selfish and stupid, audience want to hear, they get paid phenomenal sums for speaking engagements, etc.........And if they don't, they end up driving a beat up second hand car and hanging on to what little work they can get by their fingernails.

What I'm particularly interested in at the moment is Thomas Pikkety.

The basic thesis of his book is, that when returns on capital exceed economic growth, then it's just a transfer from labour to capital; inequality grows. It's also unsustainable; capital may be able to appropriate the higher return in the short term, but it leads to the kind of financial crisis that takes us to where we are now. And the fix that has been applied, has in fact increased capitals share of wealth by a stunning portion given how awful it's been for most people.

The Goldilocks solution for everyone would be, capital getting an average return that matches growth (no unearned transfer). Capital being sweated to produce real growth and innovation; and not profiting from the rigged inflation of assets.

The austerity is not that simple. A person may have only 100 euros, but they want to buy goods in a shop costing 200 euros. Many proposed solutions are not solutions, because they boil down to giving people that extra 100 euros they need. They will be exuberant for a moment, but if they don't hurry to the shop, by the time they get there, the goods that were worth 200, now cost 400.

...Deficits are inflationary.
    See, this is an important part where MMT'ers and Post-Keynesians disagree with others: Whether or not fiscal deficits are inflationary, depends upon the level of economic activity - when you have high unemployment, fiscal spending doesn't have to be inflationary, because you can use it to mobilize the idle labour and increase economic output (this works against inflation).
    Proper regulation is virtually impossible. Look what happened with the Anglo pair. That they got the probation act is only going to make matters far worse.
    Well, that's just an example of very lax regulation; proper regulation had been practiced well in the US, for up to three decades prior to the mid/late 70's (and the ensuing Savings & Loans crisis in the next decade).
    He had a lot of theory; he was a theory machine. But, he could be very contradictory. And, most importantly, for economists working in America, if they say what a specific group of wealthy, powerful, selfish and stupid, audience want to hear, they get paid phenomenal sums for speaking engagements, etc.........And if they don't, they end up driving a beat up second hand car and hanging on to what little work they can get by their fingernails.
    I agree with you completely here, on the 'economists saying what the sponsers/patrons want to hear', and that having a career as an economist is literally dependent on touting a very narrow (and incorrect) view of economics.
    The austerity is not that simple. A person may have only 100 euros, but they want to buy goods in a shop costing 200 euros. Many proposed solutions are not solutions, because they boil down to giving people that extra 100 euros they need. They will be exuberant for a moment, but if they don't hurry to the shop, by the time they get there, the goods that were worth 200, now cost 400.
    You mention an argument about the cost of goods inflating: Personally, I think inflation is one of the least-well understood parts of economics, by the general public - people seem to get the wrong idea, that "Money Supply Increase = Inflation" (ironically, a misquote of Friedman is often used to perpetuate this ;)), but that's not true, because you can use a money supply increase to increase economic output, and that counteracts inflation (as I mentioned at the top).

This is one of the things MMT focuses on a lot, but it's very hard to dispel the common myths about how inflation works.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Labarbapostiza

See, this is an important part where MMT'ers and Post-Keynesians disagree with others: Whether or not fiscal deficits are inflationary, depends upon the level of economic activity - when you have high unemployment, fiscal spending doesn't have to be inflationary, because you can use it to mobilize the idle labour and increase economic output (this works against inflation).

Well, this is a thing with some of Friedman's arguments. If deficits increase the money supply, just a QE does, or playing with the lending rate. Why not just use deficit spending, as it's as good as any other option.

I don't believe there is a substantial difference between any of the options. But, if there is some underlying structural problem; like Pikkety's capital getting a higher return than growth. Increasing the money supply is a short term fix that may only make matters worse.

Well, that's just an example of very lax regulation; proper regulation had been practiced well in the US, for up to three decades prior to the mid/late 70's (and the ensuing Savings & Loans crisis in the next decade).

Yeah. The Anglo boys did things that would have easily seen them getting 20 years in jail in New York, even under current rules. They even put Martha Stewart in jail there.

The problem for Ireland is there was a kind of lawlessness before; in other things as well as banking. And much more of the same has now been green lighted.

I agree with you completely here, on the 'economists saying what the sponsers/patrons want to hear', and that having a career as an economist is literally dependent on touting a very narrow (and incorrect) view of economics.

I heard an economist make a joke with other economists as part of a talk recently. He said sometimes it's hard to remember what you actually believe and what your employers are paying you to believe. As part of political lobbying, economists are often sponsored to write nonsense papers to further the interests of who's paying them.
    You mention an argument about the cost of goods inflating: Personally, I think inflation is one of the least-well understood parts of economics, by the general public - people seem to get the wrong idea, that "Money Supply Increase = Inflation" (ironically, a misquote of Friedman is often used to perpetuate this ;)), but that's not true, because you can use a money supply increase to increase economic output, and that counteracts inflation (as I mentioned at the top).

Yes, inflation is complicated - there has been long enough real world experience to know that certain theoretical solutions to problems; like price controls, do not work. And they can have perverse and paradoxical results.

Now, Friedman did believe you should increase the money supply, when needed, to increase economic output. But the distinction is, if you are getting an increase in output and consumption, that is growth - if you push too much money into that system too fast, you don't get structural growth, you get inflation - but at first it may feel like a party.

This is one of the things MMT focuses on a lot, but it's very hard to dispel the common myths about how inflation works.

There's a little bit of truth in all the myths.

Well, this is a thing with some of Friedman's arguments. If deficits increase the money supply, just a QE does, or playing with the lending rate. Why not just use deficit spending, as it's as good as any other option.

I don't believe there is a substantial difference between any of the options. But, if there is some underlying structural problem; like Pikkety's capital getting a higher return than growth. Increasing the money supply is a short term fix that may only make matters worse.
    Yes, that basically what MMT advocates (government spending from money creation, using taxes to remove from circulation) - you have no more public debt then, and it's actually less inflationary than using public debt too (though that takes longer to explain).

I disagree with you a bit here, on there being no substantial difference: Granting governments this ability, would give them the power to tackle many of the worlds most important problems (when they can't now).
    I think that the debate over whether this power should be in private or public hands, is the most important political/economic topic of the last 200+ years - it's more important than everything else, because the consequences are so great.
    I heard an economist make a joke with other economists as part of a talk recently. He said sometimes it's hard to remember what you actually believe and what your employers are paying you to believe. As part of political lobbying, economists are often sponsored to write nonsense papers to further the interests of who's paying them.
    Haha, yea reminds me of that Upton Sinclair quote:
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it."

There was a very interesting launch of the new Post-Crash Economics Society recently, and they did a very good report on this:
    www.post-crasheconomics.com/
    Yes, inflation is complicated - there has been long enough real world experience to know that certain theoretical solutions to problems; like price controls, do not work. And they can have perverse and paradoxical results.

Now, Friedman did believe you should increase the money supply, when needed, to increase economic output. But the distinction is, if you are getting an increase in output and consumption, that is growth - if you push too much money into that system too fast, you don't get structural growth, you get inflation - but at first it may feel like a party.
    Yes I agree with you there - the way I like to look at inflation, is in terms of resources and 'resource constraints' i.e. the supply getting squeezed: You can keep on spending money, so long as you are not pushing against these 'supply constraints' (wherever they happen in the economy), and the economy is good at automatically reacting-to/correcting most of those constraints (given time).

Though yes, it's a really complicated topic that one - too much to get into.

Advertisement