Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New violin (from Waltons) for a beginner

Options
  • 20-03-2014 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

I've got a 200-odd Euro voucher for Waltons (Dublin), and was thinking I might lash it all on a new violin! I've never even held one before, so it's fair to say that I'm a complete beginner.

I play piano and guitar, though I don't read music very well, so I was going to, initially anyway, try to teach myself. I'm open to getting lessons in the future though, if it proves too difficult.

Anyways, I've read that buying a bad violin is going to make it sound like complete sh*t. I've even read that a good violin can take a few months to mellow out!! So I'm kinda petrified and don't want to end up throwing my money away :)

Can anyone recommend anything around €150-300 from the Waltons range?

http://www.waltons.ie/home/products/?sid=2072

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Nobody? :(

I haven't a clue which one to get - I've googled several of the brands that Waltons sell, and Waltons is the first search result for them all :confused: I guess that's a bad sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rhapsody

I can't give a recommendation on an instrument I'm afraid, I just wanted to mention how important it is to get lessons at the start- particularly because it's violin, which can sound pretty nasty at the start!
    As for instrument, maybe chat to the guys in Waltons about the instruments they have- they're usually pretty honest. Music Maker & Perfect Pitch are close by, maybe call in to get their opinions on certain brands- they might have some of the same stock as Waltons. Try Crehan's in Drumcondra/ Glasnevin too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

There's a dedicated violin shop (charles byrne music shop) a block down..a violinist was singing the praises of some beginner violins he had for about 250!

Maybe you could transfer the vouchers for lessons upstairs in Waltons newschool!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Gerard_Violin

Yes buying a cheap violin is a waste of time and money , I actually bought the valancia violin from waltons for 90 euro, it would be know as A VSO to most in the violin world which stands for a Violin shaped object , thats how poor its quality is.

Advertisement