Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why Laoise not Laoighis

• 11-04-2014 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Was just wondering why Laois is known as Laoise in Irish and not Laoighis as it was originally. I am aware that the Free State Gov chose it in the twenties but why the variation. Has it anything to do with the fact that the legal name for Laois is still Queens County. Was it simply overlooked or was the Irish version simply Anglicanised.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Was just wondering why Laois is known as Laoise in Irish and not Laoighis as it was originally. I am aware that the Free State Gov chose it in the twenties but why the variation. Has it anything to do with the fact that the legal name for Laois is still Queens County. Was it simply overlooked or was the Irish version simply Anglicanised.

Unnecessary letters like 'gh', 'bh', 'dh' or 'mh' etc. were got rid of with standardization in the 1950's, although some who had these letters in their names and were attached to them kept them in use, for example Ó Domhnaill is how many of that clan still spell their name. When the Irish-English Dictionary was written it's main author decided to give good example of the new standard and spelt his surname Ó Dónaill.
    Laois is simply the modern spelling of what was Laoighis.
    Laoise comes into play when the genitive case is used....Port Laoise.
    Laois is usually said in the English language too although in the past Leix could have been heard but didn't catch on.
    Ireland may be now on great terms with the English monarch but I doubt if her writ still applies to her former midland Irish county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

A good example of a place name that wasn't updated that should have been is:
    Dún Laoghaire

The surname Ó Laoghaire -> Ó Laoire

In which case the town/county should really be "Dún Laoire", of course the fact that the name had been changed in legislation from Kingston it would probably require an act of the Dáil. Of course before the 1820's the english name was Dunleary.

As for Laois, you'll sometimes seen the old anglisced spelling of Leix in books/maps form the 1930's.

As for Domhnall -> Dónal (Ó Domhnaill -> Ó Dónaill), well omh could be said to be pronounced "ow", this is basically the same prononunciation for ó, so I think it's more a case of shortening the name (with same pronunciation) then removing silent internal sounds. (I could be wrong on this)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

In old Irish the name is Lóigis (Lóiġis) which is a "tribal name", it's probable that the Lóiġis were "mercanary types" living on the province boundaries. In this case the boundaries of Munster, Meath and Leinster (which was lot smaller then it is now)

Lóiġis -> Laoighis -> Laois

Advertisement