Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Highe Diploma in Science in Computing(Software Development)

Options
  • 11-09-2013 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi I'm just after reading a thread in horror under Griffith College about the same Higher Diploma in Computing. A lot of negative comments given and a lot of disappointed students did the course.
    Did anyone do the Higher Diploma in Computing in Software Development in NCI last year? How did you find it? Was it a well structured course? Was there good support? Was the lectures good and supportive? Was the lab work good? Would you recommend the course?
    I have accepted and registered for the course in NCI through Spring board for 3 evenings and a Saturday. However yesterday evening I got word from Griffith College finally, and they offered me a place. They were very slow to get back to me. Whereas I applied to 3 other colleges and they all got back to me in a reasonable length of time. The Griffith Course is over 2 full days. Up until an hour ago I was going to change over to the Course in Griffith purely for personal reasons I have a lengthy commute and the 2 days would suit me better and I was going to work from home the other days. Thankfully I looked at the Thread on Griffith College and I did not like what I read. As I don't have a lot of experience in IT I will go with the course which is structured best and organised better regardless of my circumstances. I need to be in a good college offering a good course..
    My background is Construction where I have a degree and over 20 years experience. I returned to college in 2012 where I completed first year in Software Development of a 4 year course. My plan was to transfer onto this higher diploma and then pursue a Masters. As I found the first year at a very slow pace.
    If anyone could advise me on their experience with NCI what kind of college it is, are you left off to your own devises or is there good support. The thing that appeals to me with NCI is the continual assessment.
    Please help and advise me in my decision!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭gerarda

I am about to graduate from a similar course also in NCI (Web Technologies) and I knew some of the guys on this course. It was tough going and there was a high drop out rate but stick with it and work hard, you will be fine. NCI is a good college and I am glad I went there - best of luck!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I wouldn't base anything on opinions on an internet thread. Some quite disturbed people out there who can get a bee in their bonnet about something and launch what is effectively a hate campaign against a course or college or business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

gerarda wrote: »
    I am about to graduate from a similar course also in NCI (Web Technologies) and I knew some of the guys on this course. It was tough going and there was a high drop out rate but stick with it and work hard, you will be fine. NCI is a good college and I am glad I went there - best of luck!
    did the web tech course fist time out. went on to further study. if you do the work then your fine. slack off and you might ad well give up now.:)

Advertisement