Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rehanging a door solo

Options
  • 12-02-2013 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

I have to rehang a heavish door single handed.

Any tips? I have shims.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Are you moving it or putting it back exactly where it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I replaced a rotted out jamb on the hinge side. I have routed new hinges in.

I could "prehang" the door on the new jamb or fix the jamb and then offer up the door.

Any ideas which would be easier.

Door is heavy but could be steadied with one hand. It opens inwards.

Am I right in thinking they're not concealed hinges? Is it an internal door or a shed?
    Normally you'd have to fix the door when it's open, same for the jamb which is also usually mitred into the lintel. I can't quite see how you could prehang the door and then attach the jamb. But that sounds easier if you can do it.

Cedrus wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking they're not concealed hinges? Is it an internal door or a shed?
    Normally you'd have to fix the door when it's open, same for the jamb which is also usually mitred into the lintel. I can't quite see how you could prehang the door and then attach the jamb. But that sounds easier if you can do it.

No the hinges are not concealed - three hinges protruding about 1/2 inch.

The jamb is rabetted not mitred, so it should slide in. (Im in the US by the ways so they do it different)

I think I will try prehanging so as not to stress the hinges.

Yeah that sounds easier also if your jamb goes all the way down you'll set the height and have a support on that side as you slide it in. Only thing thing to worry about is whether the frame is square and vertical. Good Luck.

• Advertisement

Cedrus wrote: »
    Yeah that sounds easier also if your jamb goes all the way down you'll set the height and have a support on that side as you slide it in. Only thing thing to worry about is whether the frame is square and vertical. Good Luck.

Good news is that there is a window frame to the right of the jamb so it is already squared (phew) so should just have to shim for height.

Thanks for the Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Make a whole new frame with the door prehung in it. If you just changing one upright of the frame ( why ) but replace it and then hang the door in the ope either way its handy enough in theory I suppose.

Make a whole new frame with the door prehung in it. If you just changing one upright of the frame ( why ) but replace it and then hang the door in the ope either way its handy enough in theory I suppose.

Thanks - but only the hinge jamb foot was rotted out and I was able to remove it leaving the rest of the frame in place.

I got the door up and true - Luckily the door gap at the bottom matched a piece of 1x3 I had and it sat up nicely to get the screws in.

Thanks for all the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Lovely job so just another idea for heavy doors move the door in to we're it has to be and tip it up slightly on one corner obviously the lock side raising hinged side and a bit of positioning you will b able to stick one screw in the top hinge to get it started.

Hope that makes sense to you. Well done all the same

Advertisement