Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

darkening of solid wood

• 13-02-2013 2:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi all,

i've bought a 2nd hand coffee table and wanted to freshen it up. i've sanded it (manually, which was a bit of a nightmare and took me ages) and painted the legs and frame white. i wanted the table top to stay in dark, natural colour to match other furniture. i bought a dye and applied on clean, sanded surface, but it turned out way too yellow comparing to the description and picture on the tin. i suppose that it is due to the type of wood, but anyway, my question is how can i make it darker without sanding the table top again? it says on the tin that it should be applied on sanded wood only, so i suppose that i won't get a result if i just want to rub different dye on...

and yes, i do now know that i should have tried just small amount of dye to see what the result would be:o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

You may have to build up the layers of dye to get the desired colour ie. apply 2 or 3 coats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Have u tried just the one coat or has it had a few applications, Im thinking the best fix is to give it a good sand and get a darker dye and apply in very thin coats.(i know this is stating the obvious).Something like rustins dye and apply it sparingly with a rag rather than a brush, letting it dry thoroughly and then staining again until u have the desired finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭tsuzmir

Have u tried just the one coat or has it had a few applications, Im thinking the best fix is to give it a good sand and get a darker dye and apply in very thin coats.(i know this is stating the obvious).Something like rustins dye and apply it sparingly with a rag rather than a brush, letting it dry thoroughly and then staining again until u have the desired finish.
    just one coat. i thought few applications would make it darker, but it says on the tin to apply only once.

Is it a stain or a dye u have,some stains are a one application depending on product where as dyes can be applied numerous times

Is it a stain or a dye u have,
    it's a wood dye

• Advertisement

Cool,Id try another coat and see what the finish is like ,either way u will have to sand it so u have nothing to loose

Cool,Id try another coat and see what the finish is like ,either way u will have to sand it so u have nothing to loose
    i'll give it a go. thanks!
    i just hope i dont need to sand it again...

Advertisement