Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish or foreign charities

• 04-04-2007 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

A Poll is on its way

If you were to donate to a foreign or national charity which would it most likely be and why?

I never donate to Irish charities as I believe that if they got no funding the governmen would eventually step in, and that is not the case in some african countries where people are dying needlessly.

I also don't understand why people would donate to Irish cancer research (as if we would be the ones to figure it out)

I donate to... 28 votes

Irish charities only
    0%
    Irish charities more often
    28%
    tony 2 tonebeanseventbikowalrusgumbleadmiralofthefleetCatari Jaguarpatrickc 8 votes
    neutral
    46%
    vorbisThe Real B-manCathyMoranOral Slang445279.iekirvingkizzyrethernettroutdamebaztardMrs_DoyleOman 13 votes
    Foreign charities more
    14%
    Frank GrimeshumbertBlowfishSierra Oscar 4 votes
    foreign charities only
    7%
    Crucifixdory 2 votes
    no-one.
    3%
    Passport 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

Irish because i'd rather help our own first and foremost, also high percentages of what you to donate to some foreign charities goes in admin etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Meh, I'm too mean to give my money away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Irish because i'd rather help our own first and foremost, also high percentages of what you to donate to some foreign charities goes in admin etc...

seconded

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

neutral
    Its hard to decide theres children dying around the world and yet theres alot of poverty & disadvantaged kids in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Both Irish, charity begins at home (still consider it my home even though I'm abroad at the moment) and all that jazz and foreign charities get my support once a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

foreign charities only
    More foreign. However there is a personal avenue open to me which insures none of the money is going on admin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I mainly give to Irish charities like the ISPCC, ISPCA, the Lifeboats and Irish Cancer Society (I used to volunteer in one of their shops).

I'm more of a doer than a giver. I've sold the Holly and the Daffodils and have packed bags/ sang carols etc.

That said, I'm going to teach in the slums in Kenya for 6 weeks this Summer. IMO, as long as you give time and help instead of money (that'll probably be pocketed by corrupt fcukers) it's positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Foreign charities more
    Red Cross, sometimes for the foreign appeals so I picked neutral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

neutral
    I tend to donate to Irish charities more. The main charities that I tend to support are Our Lady's Children's Hospital, Oesphageal Cancer Foundation, The Irish Cancer Society, The Simon Community, Brainwave, SVDP...

I have personally used the Irish Cancer Society support line in the past year and the help that it provides is amazing, you never know the day when you or a relative will experience the horrors of cancer and they are there as a supporting hand. There is a lot of research going on into cancer in Ireland, a lot of pioneering work has been done here - I would not be alive today had it not been due to research done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

neutral
    i have modest direct debits for two Irish charities each month ... both working on behalf of people with mental handicaps. I just think these guys deserve my money more.

My fear for foreign charities is corruption at the end points, based on stories from people I know who have volunteered their time & skills in various African states.

I do like to support childrens charities and local efforts in the kids schools and so on, and I like to support Daffodil day.

I really don't like the bucket janglers who waylay you on the street like modern-day highwaymen. I have crossed the road to avoid them ... I know it's not rational, but I often feel they are on commission, and have no empathy with the charities they are representing. :(

• Advertisement

as someone who works on the streets most of my time in Dublin city centre I cannot stand so called "chuggers", even when you say you already have a donation with them (probably a lie on my behalf but anything for peace) they still want to sign you up for more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

neutral
    I have a huge thing about Focus Ireland, I think its dreadful that in this country in 2007 there are still so many people living on the streets and think it is a very deserving charity. I also support Amnesty International, in particular their bid to stop FGM as I find that a horrifyingly barbaric practice. I donate to the Irish Cancer Society too as many of my family members have been affected with cancer and my older brother died from it.
    I give a significant enough amount of money to each of these charities on a monthly basis and leave it at that. I know many people disagree with me but I firmly believe that 3 charities is enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

neutral
    Mainly irish charities like trocaire and Bóthar

kizzyr wrote:
    I have a huge thing about Focus Ireland, I think its dreadful that in this country in 2007 there are still so many people living on the streets and think it is a very deserving charity. I also support Amnesty International, in particular their bid to stop FGM as I find that a horrifyingly barbaric practice. I donate to the Irish Cancer Society too as many of my family members have been affected with cancer and my older brother died from it.
    I give a significant enough amount of money to each of these charities on a monthly basis and leave it at that. I know many people disagree with me but I firmly believe that 3 charities is enough.

just as a matter of interest why focus over other homeless charities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

neutral
    just as a matter of interest why focus over other homeless charities?
    To be honest I don't really know. When I left college and started working and bought my house it really affected me when I was making my way to work in the morning and was passing so many people sleeping in doorways and Focus was the first one I became aware of and so started donating to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

kizzyr wrote:
    To be honest I don't really know. When I left college and started working and bought my house it really affected me when I was making my way to work in the morning and was passing so many people sleeping in doorways and Focus was the first one I became aware of and so started donating to them.

just wondering, cos i work for another homeless charity... it's all good all goes to the same cause

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

OP, do you mean charities that work in Ireland vs charities that work abroad, rather than Irish vs Foreign charities?

Concern, for example, is an Irish charity that works abroad.

Personally my preference would be for charities that work at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

neutral
    Well I can't speak for all Irish Charities, but I know that there are people working for one particular, reputable, Irish charity, (the one I work for) who are earning six figure salaries.
    (Sadly I'm not one fo them)

I sponsor concern, but aside from that, when I do decide to donate money, or fundraise for a charity(Women's mini marathon, etc), I tend to do it for a smaller charity, like the Jack and Jill foundation, or a community programme, for example.
    The smaller charities have less outgoings and you can actually see how they benefit directly from your contribution (depending on its size, of course).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Irish >> foreign charities

• Advertisement
Advertisement