Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doro PHONEEASY 632 SIM free Mobile Phone €97 @ Littlewoods Ireland

Options
  • 27-08-2015 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭

Link

This is a great basic non smart mobile phone for seniors and those with restricted mobility.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Will it get the Lollipop update though? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Techmaster wrote: »
    Will it get the Lollipop update though? :P
    It runs iOS, you plonker :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Julez

Seems expensive to me... for what it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

The likes of Littlewoods take advantage of older people that don't know how to use the internet for proper value.
    Rip off of a site/catalogue/company. I dont know how they are still going

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's waaaaaay expensive tbh.
    You can get a basic phone for €10, battery lasts for weeks. http://www.tescomobile.ie/phones/displayPhone.aspx?p=210

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

bromley52 wrote: »
    Link

This is a great basic non smart mobile phone for seniors and those with restricted mobility.

Is this the same one in Argos for €80.99

FYI - My Dad (he's 76) has a similar doro one - they are great for older people as they have extra volume, and can have extra large text - the other cheaper non-smartphones are still tricky for seniors based on seeing him try to use other phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Doro are like the Apple of non-smartphones. Overpriced for what you get.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Doros are aimed mostly at elderly people (and some disabilities).

They typically have very large, easy to see keys, very loud ringers, hearing aid capability and are usually flip phones (flips phones tend to be easier to use for people with bad hands) and extra large font characters.

If you are just looking for a cheap dumb phone, the €10 Tesco Mobile mentioned above is better.

But that phone wouldn't really be suited for an elderly person, not in the same way that this Doro phone is.

€81 from argos is actually a good price for this phone, compared to what is being charged on ebay, etc.

I've bought similar Doro phones for both of my elderly parents and they love them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Actually just found a good deal on a slightly different model of Doro phone on ebay for less then €50:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/DORO-PHONEEASY-612-MOBILE-PHONE-UNLOCKED-BIG-BUTTON-CAMERA-GRADE-B-/151545449873?hash=item2348d00d91

It is a slightly older model then the OP's, but actually has larger buttons, so maybe more suited to older people.

EDIT: Whoops just noticed this message on the above ebay phones, still could be a good deal:

Manufacturer refurbished
    “Grade B - Will have minor cosmetic marks and show signs of use.”

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭FreshCoffee

For anyone interested the NCBI in Dublin have a shop in Drumcondra and carry DORO mobiles as well as other products suitable for the elderly and poor sighted:

Doro mobiles start at €46.62

www.ncbi.ie/shop/phones-and-mobiles?page=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭bromley52

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Is this the same one in Argos for €80.99

FYI - My Dad (he's 76) has a similar doro one - they are great for older people as they have extra volume, and can have extra large text - the other cheaper non-smartphones are still tricky for seniors based on seeing him try to use other phones.

The Doro Phoneeasy 632 from Argos is not available to purchase. The one from Littlewoods is currently the cheapest you will get it new anywhere in Ireland, SIM free with a warranty. It was only reduced in the last day or so.
    Very.co.uk do have it for £65 but only in the UK.

I've been looking for a phone for an elderly family member who suffered a stroke and is only really able use one hand.
    There are other phones other there but Doro had the best overall reviews. The 632 model stood out has having everything the family member required including a mini USB charging port. Most of the earlier non smart models use proprietary chargers. For anyone in my situation this is a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

All joking aside, I have had more phones than hot dinners and gave loads of my cast offs to the "auld fella" who didn't want a phone, but for health reasons we wanted him to have one for emergencies.

No matter what phone from simple Nokias upwards, no joy ,always some hassle, credit accidentally used, phone permanently engaged because connected to voicemail etc etc. He had no interest in carrying it or using it.

Got him one of those Dora yokes a couple of years ago, and it was the best purchase I ever made.

Clamshell = no accidental calls.
    3 dedicated buttons A, B, C - can instantly call any of 3 family members.
    Loud volume, large keys, great battery life and it's still pretty small to carry in his pocket.
    He immediately "liked it" which is half the battle, and from day one he never leaves home without it, so we are all happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

+1 for the doros mother has had very expensive hearing aids from 3 manufacturers and the doro was the only one that reliably worked even if the phones specifically stated hearing aid compatibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Furzy

€99 standard price from Vodafone so save €2 - hardly a bargain alert. Was selling at €59.99 not long ago. Overated phone - can't be programmed to answer calls on opening clamshell and the emergency alert was difficult to manage. Marginally better than other offerings but still unsuitable for seniors with even mild dementia.

Furzy wrote: »
    €99 standard price from Vodafone so save €2 - hardly a bargain alert. Was selling at €59.99 not long ago. Overated phone - can't be programmed to answer calls on opening clamshell and the emergency alert was difficult to manage. Marginally better than other offerings but still unsuitable for seniors with even mild dementia.

1) Vodafone @ €99 is locked to Vodafone.
    2) The 632 was never €59.99
    3) To answer calls using clamshell
    Press
    Menu - Settings - Calls Answer mode - Open to answer On to answer incoming calls by opening the flip.
    4) I dont tkink you are talking about the 632.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I got a 631 for like 40 quid on ebay, paying a hundred quid for a feature phone is too much for me to stomach when you can get very good budget smart phones for that money now.

The mother was insistant it had to be a doro and she does seem happy with it, but one thing about it drives her mental, it only saves some of the texts in sent and message reciept only works some of the time, so I got a about a million texts at the start until she wad comfortable with the fact it was actually sending them.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

If anyone is looking for other alternatives - I got this on amazon before for a family member.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008DV5NKK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

works out about 40 euro

the keypad lock button is a bit fiddly - but other than that I think its of the same standard as the doro phones - the emergency sos button is quite good

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008DV5NKK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

works out about 40 euro

the keypad lock button is a bit fiddly - but other than that I think its of the same standard as the doro phones - the emergency sos button is quite good

I looked into this one, but to be honest I think flip phones really are the best phones for the elderly.

It is so much easier for them to just flick the phone open to "unlock" and hit one of the three speed dial buttons.

I hope one of these companies makes an android flip phone with something like the Big Button launcher.

Having said that I think the iPhone 6+ is probably the best smartphone out their for seniors, but it is so damn expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭PaulT21

For anyone interested the NCBI in Dublin have a shop in Drumcondra and carry DORO mobiles as well as other products suitable for the elderly and poor sighted:

Doro mobiles start at €46.62

www.ncbi.ie/shop/phones-and-mobiles?page=1

Thanks FreshCoffee,

This a great website with quality product from people in the know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Furzy

bromley52 wrote: »
    1) Vodafone @ €99 is locked to Vodafone.
    2) The 632 was never €59.99
    3) To answer calls using clamshell
    Press
    Menu - Settings - Calls Answer mode - Open to answer On to answer incoming calls by opening the flip.
    4) I dont tkink you are talking about the 632.

I stand corrected - maybe it wasn't the 632 & I mistook the PAYG for sim-free. Can you confirm that the flip to answer/end calls actually works in practice with this one? Took a week of to-ing and fro-ing before they actually confirmed that the flip to answer didn't work with the one I purchased.

• Advertisement

Furzy wrote: »
    I stand corrected - maybe it wasn't the 632 & I mistook the PAYG for sim-free. Can you confirm that the flip to answer/end calls actually works in practice with this one? Took a week of to-ing and fro-ing before they actually confirmed that the flip to answer didn't work with the one I purchased.

I had to get the phone in my own hands to make sure but yes the flip to answer does work once activated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Mother in law is now on Doro number 4. The previous 3 have all had issues with charging. The USB connection seems to be a weak point of the Doro. We have had to send them all back to Meteor/e-Mobile and they ended up replacing with a new one each time
    However this one says it comes with a charging cradle.
    My mother has a Sony android and uses Fontrillo launcher and finds it great.

Edit: The Soy is a bucket of junk so I would maybe recommend maybe a Moto E and install a custom launcher like Fontrillo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I liked the physics aspect of the doro the clamshell, big buttons, nice screen, good volume. I never liked the GUI though. It's a bit awkward. Old nokias have a less complicated GUI. That said the parent finally got used to most of it. But I think something like Windows Phone is simplier. The one we have doesn't have great battery life. Barely lasts two days, whereas other non smart phones were have last two weeks. I assume the hearing aids link is invaluable to those who need it.

Doro also do a full touch screen phone. 820.

Advertisement