Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free-To-Air CAM CI Module

Options
  • 03-12-2014 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone got working a Free-To-Air CAM CI Module for basic channels (BBC ect).

I am trying to reduce the clutter around my TV and I was wondering if the 'Neotion CAM CI MODULE DVB-T' would work as advertised.

My current setup is a Samsung UE32EH5000 and crappy free-to-air receiver. With the above module I believe could combine my aerial and satellite feed together and run one cable to the TV.

So if anyone who has a similar setup can please advise me or is it just a bad solution.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Your TV already has a DVB-T tuner, what you're lacking would be the UK DVB-T signal. Satellite is DVB-S/S2.

Do you have a link to the product you refer to, as advertised? 'Free-to-air conditional access module', sounds like a bit of a contradiction in terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jacobi79

Sorry, wanted to post link but I am still under new user so cant post URLs

But if you google - site:ebay.ie Neotion CAM CI MODULE DVB-T

it should be the top link

But looking at the specs it is not for DVB-S/S2 signals so I guess it would not work.

Thanks for the clearing that up, looks like I got to keep my receiver.

This? It's the same or similar to what people were using a few years back to watch the Saorview test transmissions on otherwise incompatible TVs, before the Saorview transmissions took their final form. Later rendered useless even for that purpose. It can transcode MPEG4 SD video to MPEG2.

No use for what you want, even if 'satellite' is mentioned in the description by some sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jacobi79

That was the one I was looking at, thanks for clearing that up for us.

I should have forked out the extra for a TV with satellite tuner installed, next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

'Neotion CAM CI MODULE DVB-T' is very poor.
    You don't need it on any modern Digital TV.
    It's Terrestrial.
    It doesn't work for HD
    It can't do DVB-T2
    It's no use for Saorview.
    It overheats in many setboxes or TVs. It was a stopgap solution when it seemed there might be DVB-T MPEG4 SD only countries. It's obsolete.

You really are better with a Freesat box for Satellite, as the TVs that are Saorview compatible that have Satellite are only Generic FTA, not Freesat and the extra cost is often more than a Freesat HD box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

watty wrote: »
    'Neotion CAM CI MODULE DVB-T' is very poor.
    You don't need it on any modern Digital TV.
    It's Terrestrial.
    It doesn't work for HD
    It can't do DVB-T2
    It's no use for Saorview.
    It overheats in many setboxes or TVs. It was a stopgap solution when it seemed there might be DVB-T MPEG4 SD only countries. It's obsolete.

You really are better with a Freesat box for Satellite, as the TVs that are Saorview compatible that have Satellite are only Generic FTA, not Freesat and the extra cost is often more than a Freesat HD box.
    Some Sony and Samsung TVs have Freesat if UK is selected in initial setup .
    It will then tune the Saorview channels in the 800s as it sees them as 'foreign channels' but they can usually then be renumbered .The best of both worlds .
    For the OP, best bet would be a small freesat box , such as the Manhatten Plaza HD http://www.tvtrade.ie/freesat-hd.html
    which is small enough to sit behind the tv and can be almost invisible .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

On a related question to the above - is there a Saorview compatible CAM around that'll work in a 2013 model LG TV?

Why would you need such a thing for a 2013 model TV? (Notwithstanding the fact it doesn't exist.)

Thurston? wrote: »
    Why would you need such a thing for a 2013 model TV? (Notwithstanding the fact it doesn't exist.)

Cause it doesn't have a compatible tuner, but you've answered the question anyway so thanks for that.

• Advertisement

Is it a European model LG? If so, I don't see why it wouldn't work with Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Less than 2 years old, if sold in Ireland without a disclaimer that it won't work for Irish Digital you are entitled to money back or replacement.

You only need proof of purchase. Not packaging. If receipt is lost Credit card details are proof.

SOGA Sale of Goods Act.

If you bought it online from outside Ireland then you have no comeback, unless it was advertised as suitable for Ireland.

Cheers guys.. it's a LG 47LS5600-ZC which supports Freeview but not Freeview HD which I gather is what it'd need.

I bought it from a guy on Adverts a few months ago though so no receipt unfortunately. Whe I bought it he said that the retailer apparently told him at the time that it was 3D ready and all.

Not to worry.. would have been nice but aside from that it's a great TV

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    .. it's a LG 47LS5600-ZC

It's on the Saorview approved list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Cheers guys.. it's a LG 47LS5600-ZC which supports Freeview but not Freeview HD which I gather is what it'd need.

You gather wrong. Freeview HD support is not a requirement to receive Saorview. MPEG 4 decoder is the requirement.

Advertisement