Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magic Eye Problem

Options
  • 13-12-2014 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭

Hi there.
    Just wondering if anyone could help me out with an issue I'm having with a magic eye?
    The Sky box is in the sitting room and the magic eye is attached to a tv in the bedroom directly overhead.
    I've be having an issue recently where totally out of the blue I can't operate the tv in the bedroom....the sky box can't be turned on....nothing!
    It could've like that for an hour or even a few days and then all of a sudden it will start work again.
    I've changed the magic eye but the same problem still happen intermittently.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Is there an indication of power to the 'eye' when it's unresponsive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭johnire

Yes. I checked the eye itself and righ enough the red light on it is really faint.
    I've che it when it's wo ok and it's definitely brighter then.

Power is supplied through the cable, directly from the Sky box if there's only 1 eye. Check any accessible cable & connections between the eye & the Sky box: a bad connection or break in the cable might still work alright where the picture & sound from the Sky box are concerned but will struggle to maintain the DC power circuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

You might need a booster. I had similar issues in my house. I got one in Maplins. Works a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭johnire

Thanks to everyone who replied. I'll start investigating!

• Advertisement

bbability wrote: »
    You might need a booster. I had similar issues in my house...

The only way a 'booster' would solve a power problem, is if it is one of the mains powered types that puts 9 volts on its outputs for the purpose of powering 'magic eyes'.

It would also require that the problem is either on a cable or connection between the 'booster' & the Sky box, or that the Sky box RF2 power had failed for some reason. In the former case it would make more sense to sort the cable or connector, if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

Thurston? wrote: »
    The only way a 'booster' would solve a power problem, is if it is one of the mains powered types that puts 9 volts on its outputs for the purpose of powering 'magic eyes'.

It would also require that the problem is either on a cable or connection between the 'booster' & the Sky box, or that the Sky box RF2 power had failed for some reason. In the former case it would make more sense to sort the cable or connector, if possible.

Would test RF2 output for 9 volts and if Link cable has any plastic type cable joiners which can be problematic when used with sky eyes, IR in sky eye could also be faulty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Thurston? wrote: »

Poor quality co-ax whic was rolled out in many houses during the boom can also be the issue. I bought a booster on advice from a Sky installer with 15 years experience at it solved the problem overnight.

bbability wrote: »
    ... I bought a booster on advice from a Sky installer with 15 years experience at it solved the problem overnight.

So you had a problem with the DC power supply to the 'eye'?

Advertisement