Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rte1 hd

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Saorview charge through the nose for carriage - RTE can't select a free ride from Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

JDxtra wrote: »
    Saorview charge through the nose for carriage - RTE can't select a free ride from Sky.

You reckon RTE are paying Sky presently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭lertsnim

RTE can't select a free ride from Sky.

But they already do.

You reckon RTE are paying Sky presently?
    No. I think they pay nothing or a nominal fee.

lertsnim wrote: »
    But they already do.

That's the legacy agreement. We're taking about capacity for new services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Apogee

Why not?

Given that they are considering charging Pay-TV providers for carrying their content, it seems unlikely that they anticipate paying Sky into the future.

Apogee wrote: »
    Why not?

Given that they are considering charging Pay-TV providers for carrying their content, it seems unlikely that they anticipate paying Sky into the future.

Yes it appears that both in UK and here a decision might be made to charge the likes of Sky for carrying FTA channels .....
    Page 14:
    While the report isn’t complete yet, much like in Britain, the analysis is telling us that the financial benefits of the relationship are currently completely imbalanced in favour of the Pay-TV operators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

So how come UTV Ireland are on Sky in HD and RTE 1 is still SD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

bbability wrote: »

Exactly. Such a farce.

And don't no one come here, and say it's because they're paying for it.

They're paying for it! :)

Seriously though, it's true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

bbability wrote: »

It's been explained here plenty of times, RTE have a deal for carriage and encryption on a transponder, that transponder is now full. RTE One HD will need to go on another transponder, which means they'll have to work out a new deal. It's up to Sky, they'll have to pay or offer space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭lertsnim

mad muffin wrote: »
    Exactly. Such a farce.

And don't no one come here, and say it's because they're paying for it.

But they are payimg for it. There is no other reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I realise this. It's still a farce that a year later and no rte 1hd on sky.

mad muffin wrote: »
    I realise this. It's still a farce that a year later and no rte 1hd on sky.

If Sky wants it, it is available - obviously.

What do Sky have to say about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

rte1 happened to be on when we powered up the box one night this week...talk about tv3 being bad picture wise...ur wun doing the announcement for something or other, standing to one side of other graphics and mid stage, her face had no detail in it at all..just a blob of pixels on the screen...:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,305 ✭✭✭✭muffler

pegasus1 wrote: »
    ur wun doing the announcement for something or other, standing to one side of other graphics and mid stage, her face had no detail in it at all..just a blob of pixels on the screen...:eek:
    That was just Evelyn Cusack so dont worry about the picture quality :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Is it possible to manually tune in RTE1 HD on a Sky box?

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 eugenecanna

Dinarius wrote: »
    Is it possible to manually tune in RTE1 HD on a Sky box?

Thanks.

D.
    Not possible sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Not possible sorry

I've had been at Sky Ireland for over a year about RTE1 HD, and never got a satisfactory response. So I went to saorview and free sat service. I watch mostly Irish channels anyway, so no big deal.

What really struck me though, was the quality of the HD on the freesat. Far far superior to the sky HD. Probably down to the quality of the box sky provide, but genuinely, the HD is far better.

So now I have free to air TV, and the HD quality is far better.

Maybe if Sky had fixed the RTE1 HD problem earlier, I would have stuck around… No way I'm going back now!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

emmetlego wrote:
    What really struck me though, was the quality of the HD on the freesat. Far far superior to the sky HD. Probably down to the quality of the box sky provide, but genuinely, the HD is far better.

What box have you for freesat and saorview ? I'm thinking of ditching sky for the same the HD quality isn't good on my sky box. I will miss the record function tho !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭irishgeo

hatchman wrote: »
    What box have you for freesat and saorview ? I'm thinking of ditching sky for the same the HD quality isn't good on my sky box. I will miss the record function tho !

if you buy the a high quality freesat box you still can record.

hatchman wrote: »

To be honest, I can't think of the full name of it!!! But I bought if from a satellite tv shop in Fairview, Dublin. He gave me great advice on what my needs were, and he gave me a demo of a few boxes. All of which, had much better HD than my sky box had. He said the quality of Sky HD was less than 720p (I think) and that all the boxes he sold were 1080p (again, I think!!)

I think my box is an Amiko and it has a record facility built in. It was less than 250 euro if I recall.

I've been under the weather lately, so have been bed ridden a fair bit, hence the lack of clarity.

emmetlego wrote: »
    He said the quality of Sky HD was less than 720p (I think) and that all the boxes he sold were 1080p (again, I think!

There are no transmissions in 1080P..less than 720P so 480P which is SD..

Think he was having you on there...

pegasus1 wrote: »
    There are no transmissions in 1080P..less than 720P so 480P which is SD..

Think he was having you on there...

Whatever it was... Can't remember clearly (which is why I said "I think")

All I can say, is that the HD quality is far superior than the sky box.

Whatever it was... Can't remember clearly (which is why I said "I think")

All I can say, is that the HD quality is far superior than the sky box.

Were all the boxes on the same tv, in the same hdmi port with the tv on the same screen settings??

• Advertisement

The very same. Simply unplugged the sky box, threw it in the bin, and added new box, to same port. Instantly a better picture... And it wasn't the Sky box being faulty, as I had changed sky box about 3/4 years ago for a HDD fault, and there was no change to quality on that change over. This was instantly obviously a huge picture upgrade on the HD channels.

The very same. Simply unplugged the sky box, threw it in the bin, and added new box, to same port. Instantly a better picture... And it wasn't the Sky box being faulty, as I had changed sky box about 3/4 years ago for a HDD fault, and there was no change to quality on that change over. This was instantly obviously a huge picture upgrade on the HD channels.

Scart methinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭satelliteman20

the alien 2 with its sh4 chip is known to have one of the best hd and sd pics of any box including most broadcom e2 boxes which cost much more such as the tm 3t or vu + and comparing it to a sky hd box it has a sharper more vibrant hd picture with more detail

Scart methinks

Do you really think I'm that simple?

the alien 2 with its sh4 chip is known to have one of the best hd and sd pics of any box including most broadcom e2 boxes which cost much more such as the tm 3t or vu + and comparing it to a sky hd box it has a sharper more vibrant hd picture with more detail

Layman's terms please? :-)

• Advertisement

Do you really think I'm that simple?

Had to ask. I've had phone calls about tv's not working, when I asked was it on I was told "of course it's on, I can see the red light"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Is there anyway to tune rte 1 hd through the sky hd other channels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,305 ✭✭✭✭muffler

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    Nope, not that Im aware of anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

ussjtrunks wrote: »

No.

Advertisement