Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central Heating Problem

Options
  • 04-01-2014 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hello
    The oil fired central heating has stopped heating the water but continues to heat the rads on both floors.The hot water cylinder is located in the attic. The little red football like tank for the heating is also located in the attic and the pressure clock on this is reading zero.I have tried adjusting this but no good.This problem seems to have happened since I bled two rads.Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Hello
    The oil fired central heating has stopped heating the water but continues to heat the rads on both floors.The hot water cylinder is located in the attic. The little red football like tank for the heating is also located in the attic and the pressure clock on this is reading zero.I have tried adjusting this but no good.This problem seems to have happened since I bled two rads.Any help appreciated.
    Post a picture of the gauge and any valves including the one you were adjusting, did you manage to increase the pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

The automatic filling valve ( a bit of a contradiction) if that's what you have, sometimes get stuck and needs adjustment, preferably by a plumber, and the red tank will also have to be checked and pumped up to 0.75 bar air pressure if it hasn't been done lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭multifunction

Thanks for the replies
    The only thing I touched was the the knob on top of gauge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

Thanks for the replies
    The only thing I touched was the the knob on top of gauge

The black knob opens and closes the valve . The brass square head screw underneath adjusts pressure . You may need to slacken off the lock nut and wind it in clockwise to bring the pressure up .

I'd also be finding out why the pressure reducing valve is fitted, more than likely to cover a leak which is rotting your heating system from the inside out, repressurises your system to 1.5 bar then close the black knob and monitor it to see how long it takes to drop to zero, take readings when system is cold.

• Advertisement

sullzz wrote: »
    I'd also be finding out why the pressure reducing valve is fitted, more than likely to cover a leak which is rotting your heating system from the inside out, repressurises your system to 1.5 bar then close the black knob and monitor it to see how long it takes to drop to zero, take readings when system is cold.

Good point , I don't like those auto fillers at all , defeats the purpose of a sealed system

Egass13 wrote: »
    Good point , I don't like those auto fillers at all , defeats the purpose of a sealed system

Aye, and I was at one the other day an expansion vessell in an attic had corroded and burst, it had an auto filler valve located beside it pissing water into the system as quick as it was leaking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

.75 Bar is what I recommend as gauge is in attic = 1.5 bar (aprox) at ground level in the house.

1.5 Bar in the attic could give 2.25 bar at the boiler before it heats up and could then put the pressure up to 3 bar.

And only .75bar in pressure vessel.
    ( when it's also in attic)

Any opinions?

I tried the brass screw but it had no affect on the pressure gauge. Should the valve be open or shut.Is it ok to run heating as it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭pat35

Did you open the black knob?,its possibly closed

• Advertisement

pat35 wrote: »
    Did you open the black knob?,its possibly closed

twisted it but it made no difference.maybe i should be twisting the screw on top of black kob

twisted it but it made no difference.maybe i should be twisting the screw on top of black kob

The knob might be rung , take the screw out , remove knob and use a grips to turn the spindle

The knob might be rung , take the screw out , remove knob and use a grips to turn the spindle

Egass13
    Indeed the knob was rung.Opened and got the pressure gauge up to 1 which it was at before I think.Is it ok to run the heating now and would bleeding the two rads have caused the problem
    thanks

Egass13
    Indeed the knob was rung.Opened and got the pressure gauge up to 1 which it was at before I think.Is it ok to run the heating now and would bleeding the two rads have caused the problem
    thanks

It would as with the valve off and the system no refilling itself then by bleeding the rads your letting the pressure off . Should be ok now but as was mentioned earlier I'd look into why that valve is fitted and if possible remove it and fit a manual filling loop instead .

I built the house ten years ago and the plumber fitted that valve

Advertisement