Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious mouse infestation

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

togster wrote: »
    i guess it's the bird feed
    lol

Yes its parrot feed that attracts them Also Parrots can scatter the food.
    I am not saying get a ferret to hunt mice. But it seems since i got the ferret which is a house hold pet. The mice have not moved in this year. I was told that the smell a ferret gives off causes mice and other rodents to stay away. Can any other ferret owners confirm this ?
    With regards getting a ferret. Dont get a ferret for this reason, only get one if you really want one.

Its not misinformed advice ? ? Any ferret owner knows ferrets are mainly used as hunters in Ireland. And who is releasing ferrets into the wild ?? I never said that . :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

We have a lot of mice right now, house is so old there is just no way of keeping them out. We have a cat, he's a good hunter, still doesn't get rid of them all though.
    We have a sonic thing, which is also electromagnetic and supposedly works through the wiring through the whole house, still doen't get rid of them.
    We have conventional traps, gets about 1-2 a week.
    We have live traps, gets about 1 every 2 weeks.
    My nan used to use poison, but the dead mice were stinking up the place.

I've resigned myself to the fact that until we move we're stuck with them. They're field mice so they go back outside in summer and milder weather, so I'm just praying for a long warm summer !!

As for a ferret, I'd love one, but can't have any more critters right now.
    Do you think a ferrett being in the house for a day or two would be enough for the smell to get rid of some? I dont think i'd would be safe to let a ferret roam around my house, way too many nooks and crannies for it to get lost in. But say we got a friend to bring a ferret in it's cage for a few days??

As everyone trying to get solutions to get rid of mice is not really gettig any where,everyone has opinions of how to get rid of mice which all true answers as i hope the solution is found.Il just have one more crack at this if it works:
    http://www.victorpest.com/all_about_mice.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouse
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mus_musculus:cool::D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Yes its parrot feed that attracts them Also Parrots can scatter the food.
    I am not saying get a ferret to hunt mice. But it seems since i got the ferret which is a house hold pet. The mice have not moved in this year. I was told that the smell a ferret gives off causes mice and other rodents to stay away. Can any other ferret owners confirm this ?
    With regards getting a ferret. Dont get a ferret for this reason, only get one if you really want one.

Its not misinformed advice ? ? Any ferret owner knows ferrets are mainly used as hunters in Ireland. And who is releasing ferrets into the wild ?? I never said that . :confused:

please read my above quote and the reference quote is used from another user. I keep many ferrets as pets and also as hunters and i also have done a lot of research on ferrets physcology. a ferret is no good for mice, they need to get into small burrows to be effective. a ferret cant move as fast as a mouse nor can it get into the same small places as mice go so really they are no good for mice control. plenty of ferrets have been found in the wild either released by bad owners and left by unpatient hunters. the cottage rescue in co. tipp is the only rescue in ireland that caters for these cases. as i said many opinions on ferrets are completly misinformed as they seem to have a bad rep and are misunderstood. the OP was the one who asked could he release it into the wild after he was done with it.

as regards the smell of a ferret keeping mice abay i have never heard of this. if that was the case rabbits and rats would move quite quickly at the smell of a ferret in burrows. it is in fact the chase that nets the rabbits and makes them run. rabbits have one of the most sensitive noses in the irish countyside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

togster wrote: »
    oh ffs. Those sonic things don't work. Depositing a mouse a mile from your house?

they've always worked for everyone I know, even with rats. and there's no problem with taking the mouse/mice for a drive if you're not too lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

Get a bosc monitor, they don't just kill the little blighters, they eat them as well, meaning no little bodies around stinking up the place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

If you decide to use a cat, get a female cat. They tend to hunt more efficiently than toms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Well we have caught three more since Sunday with snap traps, a baby live one and there is still one cheeky one at large that suticks his head out regularly, we have to rebait 4 traps on average a day (Using Nutella).

Well we have caught three more since Sunday with snap traps, a baby live one and there is still one cheeky one at large that suticks his head out regularly, we have to rebait 4 traps on average a day (Using Nutella).
    are ye living in the fields as you seem to catch alot:D:D

• Advertisement

davey180 wrote: »
    are ye living in the fields as you seem to catch alot:D:D
    Nope, but were living not too far from the Dart, they must be commuting :D:D:D

Nope, but were living not too far from the Dart, they must be commuting :D:D:D
    ah rail mice must be a new breed now!lol

davey180 wrote: »
    ah rail mice must be a new breed now!lol
    No they are not, ever see them in the London Underground :eek:

No they are not, ever see them in the London Underground :eek:
    loads of rats in the london under ground as the commuters leave rubbish any where.thats why you hear a lot of squeaks from the train stopping lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭AlanSparrowhawk

I've living in North county dublin and have caught 6/7 mice over the last few weeks in the conventional traps. NOt exactly sure where the point of entry is but it's probably got something to do with me leaving the back door open on occasion :o.

mice can get through any gap even the size of a pencil tip!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

Just saw the first mouse in our kitchen last night.
    The cat spent the whole night stalking it but hadn't caought it when I got up this morning. Hopefully be history by the time I get home.
    I would still like to get the plug-in things if anybody can tell me where to get them ? Thanks

will1977 wrote: »
    The cat spent the whole night stalking it but hadn't caought it when I got up this morning. Hopefully be history by the time I get home.
    I would still like to get the plug-in things if anybody can tell me where to get them ? Thanks
    We have used these plug in things, apparently they give off a very high pitched screech that irritates the mice, many will pack their bags and leave but those that decide to hang about will eventually go deaf from it and start breeding, their babies are then immuned to the sound. I and many have found them a waste of money. Just get another cat and a load of snap traps :)

will1977 wrote: »
    http://www.search.ie/ukshop/great-10709021-B000FII3Y2-Pest_Stop_Professional_ultrasonicelectromagnetic_repeller.html
    A lot of pet shops have them and the co-op stores sell a range of them.

Advertisement