Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you carry an Organ Donor Card?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Just to ease the fears of those who dont carry them ..... Ghosts don't need their kidneys/liver etc though without their eyes they have been known to go bump in the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sidneykidney

For donor cards freetext the word DONOR to 50050 with name address and number required. Or visit www.ika.ie for more information.

Back on topic i benefitted from an organ transplant. So i would say to everyone to carry the card.:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No.

But they wouldn't be able to use any part of me for organ donations anyway, well apart from donations to medical students to cut up for practice. But as I intend to go out in some spectacular way that leaves my body really well mangled I doubt I'd be much use for that either.

Well maybe I could be a jigsaw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah I got one. You can get them online, in a chemist, in a GP's office.....

Such a waste to just let your body decay when there's people who could have a few years added onto their lives with your help. You don't even have to do anything... except die...

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭denashpot

no and never will. knowing this country it would sell them to the usa or china.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

I do now, thanks Sidneykidney, my old one "expired" yonks ago!

I mean I plan on living forever anyway, but in the unlikely event that I expire ahead of schedule some lucky blighter may as well benefit from my he-man-esque organs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

yup ive had one since i was around 9....dont actually carry it though as i rarely carry a purse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

I was talking to a friend about this topic not so long ago
    He said he'd never get one as his organs could end up saving a scumbags life.

He made a fair point but theres some good pepole who could do with a little lifesaving too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Mweelrea wrote: »

He made a fair point but theres some good pepole who could do with a little lifesaving too

I wouldn't care who's life it saved to be honest, because it's not as if i have a say in the matter.

Opting not to be a doner because it might end up saving the life of someone who you consider a scumbag is just silly, it could equally save the life of someone very deserving.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

BoozyBabe wrote: »
    the point of this thread was to see if in fact there WAS a need to have such an opt-out system,

Compare the number of actual organ donors in Ireland over the past X years with a country which has an opt-out system.

Compare also the waiting lists.

You'll get a much clearer answer that way than asking a statistically unrepresentative cross-section of society on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

I've got one alright. I got mine in a shop just on the counter when you pay. Didn't think of the GP for whatever insane reason :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I'll presume I won't need my organs when I die, someone else can use them and my parking space too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I certainly do. Not sure what I'd have that'd be any use to anyone though :p

Maybe my delicious eyeballs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I have one and a blood donor card.

If I die I expect to be drained and have every useful part of me used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

Blisterman wrote: »
    Is it true, that they give you a certain amount of money up front for that, and later on, you can buy back your body, if you so wish? Or is it just an urban legend?

How does one go about that? :p I've also considered donating eggs. This was after watching a medical drama where a girl haemorrhaged and died because of it but the 100,000 quid she got for it is an attractive proposition if possible. I have money troubles.

More to the point of the thread, I'd donate my lungs to a foundation trying to stop kids from smoking and if the rest of my body is of any use take it please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I'm not allowed to apparently. I received loads of blood transfusions as a kid, during the late 80's early 90's and apparently years later there was some kind of contamination scare with donated blood from around that time so I'm not allowed to donate blood or organs, just in case.

I'll give it to medicine for the students to cut up and poke about in though

• Registered Users Posts: 81,851 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

doesnt matter anyway - from what i hears, England wants to make an initiative: whereby instead of carrying donor cards to donate your organs, you carry a card that forbids the donation of your organs.

Which makes total sense to me: I assume there are considerably fewer people that would rather not donate, than donate.

I'd prefer the opt out system personally as I can see myself very tempted to bop a surgeon/transplant co-ordinator who asked for organs straight after a loved one died unexpectedly. I know why they have to but when grieving one often doesn't think straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I always carry a Doner Card, the 10% discount in Abrakebara is cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I try to give away as much stuff as possible. I now donate platelts instead of blood (you can give one or the other, not both) as these can be donated every 4 weeks instead of every 3 months. The location isn't as handy for me, and it takes about an hour to do, which is the biggest drawback. The upside is that it does more good.
    I'm on the register to donate bone marrow, which is supposed to be horrendously painful, if I ever get called up to donate. Not as bad as leukemia though, I would imagine, and I want to help those guys.
    Organs after I die is fairly academic at this stage, but they can have those too. Hell, they could probably take them before I die. I'm not using for any worthwhile purpose.
    Just in case I'm coming across as some sort of philanthropist here, my reasoning is almost purely so that I can look down on most people and spit at people looking for charity. I don't want to give the wrong impression here!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭thecleverone

Yep. I carry one and a blood doner card as well. Both signed by me but neither signed by my next of kin (as they wouldn't agree). Hoping if i did die, they'd come to their senses and know that to donate my organs is what i would have wanted to do and really they should carry out my wishes whether they agreed or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Mweelrea wrote: »

Your mate sounds like a dick tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Can any more of the 38.3% who voted NO stand up and be counted? We'd love to hear your thoughts on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

I do now, thanks Sidneykidney, my old one "expired" yonks ago!

I mean I plan on living forever anyway, but in the unlikely event that I expire ahead of schedule some lucky blighter may as well benefit from my he-man-esque organs :D

lol, that reminds me of my 'life time membership' with the local gaa...

it was only to last til i was 18 :eek:

ha, but yep, i carry an organ donor card, and have made my family and partner aware of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

orestes wrote: »
    I'm not allowed to apparently. I received loads of blood transfusions as a kid, during the late 80's early 90's and apparently years later there was some kind of contamination scare with donated blood from around that time so I'm not allowed to donate blood or organs, just in case.

:O didnt know that! i'd a few blood transfusions then too, and i knew i couldn't donate blood, but i hadn't realised that that would transfer on to my organs!

though still think it's a bit silly, cos i did react badly to one of the transfusions, and was subsequently tested for all the related/possible disesases i could have caught, and have been shown to free from them.

I'm on the register to donate bone marrow, which is supposed to be horrendously painful, if I ever get called up to donate.

Total myth apparently. You go under general anaesthetic and only feel slight discomfort after. In the UK anyway, perhaps we're still behind the times here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭lezizi

I don't have one, I don't think my organs are in a good enough state to be used by anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Not yet as I'm only 17. Day I turn 18 I will, I will also advise them away from my liver:D. Both my parents have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ciggs

Yep i do. My sister is alive due to someone else carrying a donor card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

I used to have one but it's well lost by now. I am so bad with cards that I consider myself lucky to even make it out of the house with my ATM card, let alone anything else. IMO there should be a way to register oneself without having to carry something around all the time.

Advertisement