Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you carry an Organ Donor Card?

Options
  • 28-01-2008 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

If not, why not?

Do you carry an Organ Donor Card? 53 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 53 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I applied for the card but forgot to get it signed by my Next of Kin... Now I've lost the bloody card when I moved out so I have to start the whole process again I guess... :(

Where can I apply for an Organ Donor card again? Is there a website?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Its on my driving licence, So its not technically a card...

But yes defo, take the lot of me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

You can get them in any doctors clinic.
    I think there are lots of places you can pick them up, not sure where though, cos I got mine at the docs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Yep, I do in my wallet since I was about 14 and the school gave them to us.

I think the government should reform the system and reverse it. For example, everybody would be eligible to donate in the right circumstances, and those that didn't want to donate (due to religious reasons or whatever) had to carry a "non-donor card", saying that they didn't give the right for their organs to be used. It would be better that way, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I applied for the card but forgot to get it signed by my Next of Kin... Now I've lost the bloody card when I moved out so I have to start the whole process again I guess... :(

Where can I apply for an Organ Donor card again? Is there a website?

you can pick one up at most GP's offices.

I've got one and I've filled all the papers out to donate my body to science when I'm dead

• Advertisement

Yep, I do in my wallet since I was about 14 and the school gave them to us.

I think the government should reform the system and reverse it. For example, everybody would be eligible to donate in the right circumstances, and those that didn't want to donate (due to religious reasons or whatever) had to carry a "non-donor card", saying that they didn't give the right for their organs to be used. It would be better that way, maybe?

There IS a debate ongoing at the mo about that. Having an Opt Out system as opposed to an opt-in

I'd rather keep that debate for another thread, as the point of this thread was to see if in fact there WAS a need to have such an opt-out system, or were the majority of people voluntary getting cards anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

In England, when you apply for a driver's licence, there's a box you tick, to become an organ doner. It just means, that they put a letter on the back, indicating you're an organ doner.

Much better than keeping a seperate card in your wallet, reminding you of your eventual death, every time you see it.

Do they do that in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

When I got a State ID when moving to the US, they asked if I wanted to become an organ donor and I had no problem with it.

not really if someone was missing their "non-donor card" and their parts were used against their wishes, their family might have a fit and most likely sue the doctors were as someone who would donate but forgot/never got a card and their organs weren't used its a shame they've been wasted but its not going to come back and bite the doctors in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Blisterman wrote: »
    In England, when you apply for a driver's licence, there's a box you tick, to become an organ doner. It just means, that they put a letter on the back, indicating you're an organ doner.

Much better than keeping a seperate card in your wallet, reminding you of your eventual death, every time you see it.

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

I don't.

Because I've ticked the boxes on my driver's license for kidney and multi-organs too.

Just thought I'd make people aware that that's an option too. Told a coworker who had never even seen them before, or noticed them is probably more accurate ;)

Yes, there is a section on the back of your drivers license in Ireland also.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I don't have one as I keep forgetting to get one, but I have a home made one that says, " Take what you want, but don't bother with the credit card, it's maxed." Oh, how I laughed when I thought that up, and now it just seems stupid and unfunny, but it's already laminated, so I'm not making another!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

I do indeedy!

I think its very important to carry one as so many people can benefit from organ donation. It makes me more at ease knowing that if i died, some family has a chance at starting their lives again because of donation as opposed to my organs rotting in the ground while there were people dying on a hospital bed that really needed them. It is something that is close to me as my uncle lived because someone else carried a donar card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

ztoical wrote: »
    you can pick one up at most GP's offices.

I've got one and I've filled all the papers out to donate my body to science when I'm dead

Is it true, that they give you a certain amount of money up front for that, and later on, you can buy back your body, if you so wish? Or is it just an urban legend?

ztoical wrote: »
    not really if someone was missing their "non-donor card" and their parts were used against their wishes, their family might have a fit and most likely sue the doctors

They could get "Selfish Git" tattoed on their forehead. It'll solve any problems.

your family/next of kin should be made aware of your wishes so they know what to do if asked but they are only allowed to donate so much if you haven't got it in writing somewhere official [card/drivers license]

If you want to donate your body to a medical school for students to learn on you have to fill a forum out, even if you tell everybody thats what you want your next of kin can't donate your body on your behalf, it has to be in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

I carry one, and have my driving license ticked too.

Sure I wont need them when I am gone :D

Is it true, that they give you a certain amount of money up front for that, and later on, you can buy back your body, if you so wish? Or is it just an urban legend?

urban legend

humanji wrote: »
    They could get "Selfish Git" tattoed on their forehead. It'll solve any problems.

most of the religions that don't allow organ donation don't allow tattoos either

• Advertisement

So if science makes reanimates you into some sort of superzombie, you technically belong to them? That sounds a little unfair :(
    ztoical wrote:
    most of the religions that don't allow organ donation don't allow tattoos either

Could you write it every morning in biro? It might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I agree with the above. They do this in the Netherlands I believe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

BoozyBabe wrote: »
    If not, why not?

No because they have no legal standing. I have, however, told my family members that if they are asked for any of my organs then I would like them to agree to donating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

They can chop me up into little pieces when I die, it hardly matters to me. I don't get why some people have a problem with it.

kizzyr wrote: »
    No because they have no legal standing. I have, however, told my family members that if they are asked for any of my organs then I would like them to agree to donating them.

as mentioned above your next of kin can only donate certain organs even if you've told them its your wish if you don't have it in writing theres nothing anyone can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Agree with Lux 23, they can do whatever they want with me once I'm gone. They can picked up in any pharmacy - no need to apply. Does the fact I have one make it up to the imbecile who called me a selfish bastard on here a few months ago for not being a blood donor?

So if science makes reanimates you into some sort of superzombie, you technically belong to them? That sounds a little unfair :(

I guess that would be the case :)

while it sounds really cool to say I'm donating my body to science the reality is your dead corpse is just going to get poked by a bunch of 1st and 2nd year med students who will try and steal various body parts to bring home and scare their house mates who are studying accountancy.

Could you write it every morning in biro? It might work.

could I do it? I don't know I like to lie in in the mornings. Plus its prob a bunch of people so I'd need a bunch of pens, will I have to pay for these pens myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I've had loads of them cards but I keep losing them. I usually never carry a wallet either. I have no problems donating organs, the good thing about it is if they take all me organs there's no chance of them burying me alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

Im more then happy to donate an organ to any of the wominnnzzz :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Sounds like a great ice breaker in the clubs tbh...

Advertisement