Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuborg cheap pints

Options
  • 30-07-2014 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭

Why is Tuborg sold cheaply in pubs? My Local is €3.10 & was in Kilkenny yesterday & found a pub doing a pint for €4 which is great value.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

Because it is piss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Because it is piss

Have you actually tried it? If you like lager its actually quite nice

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Why is Tuborg sold cheaply in pubs?
    Presumably Diageo decided they needed a budget brand to compete with the likes of Fosters. They picked Tuborg.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

It's no worse than other similar lagers like Carlsberg/Heineken. Better than Budweiser for sure imo, but a lot of people are snobs so will write it off straight away.

its such great value tho....compared to paying €5+ a pint

• Advertisement

Help!!!! wrote: »
    its such great value tho....compared to paying €5+ a pint

It's not €5 a pint for a pint of lager in Kilkenny is it? Around €4.20 in most places I think though I could be wrong, not much of a lager drinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

JoseJones wrote: »
    It's not €5 a pint for a pint of lager in Kilkenny is it? Around €4.20 in most places I think though I could be wrong, not much of a lager drinker.

Depends where you go but most are closer to €5 & some even over.
    Was surprised to find a pub doing Tuborg for €4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

It's no worse than other similar lagers like Carlsberg/Heineken. Better than Budweiser for sure imo, but a lot of people are snobs so will write it off straight away.

Talk about damning with faint praise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

€3.65 in my local. Drinkable

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

It falls loosely into the economic strategy of Price Discrimination.

Basically, beer companies know that some lager drinkers can't afford to go out and have a heap of "premium beers" so they bring out a "cheap" lager. They market the premium beers well enough so that those who can afford to will still tend to drink them and not switch to the cheaper beers, whilst still ensuring that those drinking the cheaper beers still go out and spend their money. In reality, the beers are of similar quality in terms of ingredients and production.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

wheres it brewed?

aside from Harp which is very drinkable (and 99.9% of those who says otherwise havent ever tasted a sip of the stuff in their lives), theres not one palatable irish brewed lager and I cant imagine an irish brewed tuborg being any better.

but in Copenhagen (where its brewed I believe) it was drinkable.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

irish_goat wrote: »
    In reality, the beers are of similar quality in terms of ingredients and production.
    Yep. Having come from Ireland where Carlsberg is the premium one and Tuborg the budget option, I was surprised to find that their parent company in Denmark treats both brands as equal status.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Yep. Having come from Ireland where Carlsberg is the premium one and Tuborg the budget option, I was surprised to find that their parent company in Denmark treats both brands as equal status.

Long may it continue....I love going down my local & having 3 pints & some change from a tenner

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭Glebee

Nothing wrong with Tuborg. Because its cheap the first thing you think is that its rank I guess. Ive had plenty of expensive pint that were only fit for the sink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

wheres it brewed?

aside from Harp which is very drinkable (and 99.9% of those who says otherwise havent ever tasted a sip of the stuff in their lives), theres not one palatable irish brewed lager and I cant imagine an irish brewed tuborg being any better.
    Try

5 Lamps Summer Steam
    Eight Degrees Bohemian Pilsner
    Trouble Brewing Kill Lager
    Metalman Sahara
    O'Hara's Irish Lager

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

+1, beamish suffers the same thing, I still maintain beamish would be more profitable if they price matched guinness, or were a little closer.

Some people think of tuborg "jaysus its €1 less than the other beers, it must be really bad", as if they are using really substandard ingredients even though the cost is minimal.

when really the comment should be "jaysus, it tastes similar to all the other ones, why are people paying €1 extra to those rip off merchants".

rubadub wrote: »
    +1, beamish suffers the same thing, I still maintain beamish would be more profitable if they price matched guinness, or were a little closer.

Some people think of tuborg "jaysus its €1 less than the other beers, it must be really bad", as if they are using really substandard ingredients even though the cost is minimal.

when really the comment should be "jaysus, it tastes similar to all the other ones, why are people paying €1 extra to those rip off merchants".

Well said....why pay more for a name

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Since no one has mentioned it:

Tuborg, the beer of Danish kings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Tastes like any other lager in the whole world, ie bloody awful, watery piss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I drink Tuborg all the time, it is a lot nicer than budweiser for sure. Now fosters is damn bad, it's up there with dutch gold, can't drink that stuff at all.

Yep, Tuborg is a nice drink, but like it says on all beers... serve chilled, because all beers taste bad when warm. As for Heiniken/budweiser and fosters, Tuborg beats them hands down.

IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

A lot of people on here don't like lager end off.....if you like lager, branch out to pale ales

A lot of people on here don't like lager end off.....if you like lager, branch out to pale ales

I'm not a lager fan myself, I would drink it if there's nothing else on offer but from drinking the various lagers Tuborg is certainly not the worst of them and I wouldn't dismiss it as piss just because it's cheap.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Yep, Tuborg is a nice drink, but like it says on all beers... serve chilled, because all beers taste bad when warm. As for Heiniken/budweiser and fosters, Tuborg beats them hands down.

All pub beers, maybe. Plenty of stuff is nicer when it's closer to room temperature. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

BAVARIA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

An File wrote: »
    All pub beers, maybe. Plenty of stuff is nicer when it's closer to room temperature. ;)

Room temp is +18c, there is no beer I want to drink at that temp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Tastes like any other lager in the whole world, ie bloody awful, watery piss.

There is alot of Euro lager crap, but there the are still a few that are a thing of beauty such as Augustiner

Andecchs_Doppelbock.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 Hidden Cyclone

I see very little if any difference between Tuborg vs the likes of Carlsberg etc

If I'm somewhere with nothing decent (IPA etc) and I'm not in a stout mood I'll often drink Tuborg or Fosters

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

generally its €4.80 for a pint of bud in kilkenny

i've had €2.50 fosters in carlow and my god that stuff was hard to get down. would rather spend the extra €2 and get a decent pint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Heroditas

miece16 wrote: »
    generally its €4.80 for a pint of bud in kilkenny

i've had €2.50 fosters in carlow and my god that stuff was hard to get down. would rather spend the extra €2 and get a decent pint

Funny, I used to drink Fosters by the hectolitre when I was in college. God be with the days when we had the Fosters dollars! :D
    Wouldn't be too keen on it now.

Tuborg though - always thought it was much nicer than even the likes of Carlsberg, its sister beer.
    I wouldn't be mad on any lager nowadays but if I had a gun put to my head if I was in a local Central or Spar, I'd pick it.

Advertisement