Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fromvineyardsdirect.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I've had issues with them as well. I ordered three cases of wine en primeur (before bottling) roughly mid 2012 for delivery late 2013 / early 2014. Buying en primeur can be dodgy (lots of scammers out there) and one of the main pieces of advice from those 'in the know' is to obtain certificates from the broker (FVD in this case) proving that they were allocated wine by the chateau and that 'your' wine is now in your name - thus protecting you if the broker goes under; this should not be a problem with reputable brokers. Despite months of going back and forth with them, and several promises, I never got them. I was especially worried as one of my purchases was at an exceptional price. Having a look around, there seems to be very little activity from them recently - despite previous regular updates, their Facebook page has only been updated once since last summer (and even that was three months ago), and the last user post on their page is an unanswered complaint about missing bottles and no contact. I am still getting occasional emails but not as many as before. They also seem to have lost one of their staff (Gareth's name has not been on emails since summer). I have serious misgivings about their current status.

But, there is some encouraging signs. They contacted me last Autumn to let me know one of my purchases was ready for delivery (not the great value one). I wanted to avail of their storage service (no point getting this wine before 2015, and I don't have a cellar) but got no reply to my emails requesting same. In the end, I sent them the cheque for VAT and duty about 5 weeks ago - and received my wine a couple of days later (albeit with no notice of any kind). So there does seem to be some movement - but I'd be hesitant to give them money (too late for me)......

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

Thanks for that Padraig. I actually ordered from them before about a year ago. Ordered 3 different wines, 2 were discontinued and the other was out of stock. Had to wait a couple of weeks for delivery but it did arrive eventually.

I put in this order suspecting they may be slow but in no hurry anyway, but now they're not even answering the phone or replying to emails. I've already put in a claim to Paypal.

You might keep me posted? I'd be interested in how you get on. They have a couple of hundred quid of my money and I hope I get something for it!

You might keep me posted? I'd be interested in how you get on. They have a couple of hundred quid of my money and I hope I get something for it!

I'm getting correspondence from the UK office. Not directly, but rather they are emailing the Irish office telling them to sort it out and cc'ing me. But the Irish office seem to be ignoring those emails too! Absolutely shocking way to run a business. Looks like they're going to make me wait the full 30 days to get my money back from Paypal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 davidcody

Hey guys bought and paid for a case of wine off fromvineyardsdirect last year and yes you guessed it…….no sign!! Any ideas? Anybody out there with similar problems? Sent emails and rang many times but to no avail!
    How do we know wine dealers will deliver our wine? Paid fromvineyardsdirect by cheque….i know school boy error I’m told as I have no comeback.
    Any bolt of lightning ideas out there how I can get case or money back?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Calm3IE

:(

There is another thread about FVD but it had some posts removed recently. I'm in a similar situation but had contact today with them. I hope to have news in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 davidcody

I hope your wine arrives Padraig, I have had no contact from them for 6 months!
    How did you get contact with them? Thought they had gone under to be honest.
    Thanks
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Threads merged.

tHB

To be honest, you would be better off raising this in the Consumer Issues forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

davidcody wrote: »
    Hey guys bought and paid for a case of wine off fromvineyardsdirect last year and yes you guessed it…….no sign!! Any ideas? Anybody out there with similar problems? Sent emails and rang many times but to no avail!
    How do we know wine dealers will deliver our wine? Paid fromvineyardsdirect by cheque….i know school boy error I’m told as I have no comeback.
    Any bolt of lightning ideas out there how I can get case or money back?

Depending on the amount of money involved, you could try taking them to the small claims court to try recover the money. Minimal cost/risk involved.

• Advertisement

So, I promised an update. Not looking good unfortunately! I mentioned above that I had been in contact with FVD on 30th July - Stuart promised me my wine within two weeks then. Well, three weeks later and nowt! No response to email either. That I even got that communication is thanks to the (much appreciated) help of wine critic Tom Doorley and UK wine fraud journalist Jim Budd.

Some facts about FVD Ireland:
    1. They have not filed returns for last year, despite being obliged to do so.
    2. As of their last accounts, they have liabilities of over €500,000 and a negative net worth of -€422k.
    3. All of the directors (including Stuart, who still seems to be representing them) resigned in February of this year.
    4. They no longer have any connection with the UK company, and simply licence the name.

FVD UK:
    In the hole to UK Revenue for approx £1 million stg due to "accounting errors". Currently trying to restructure the company with creditors being asked to take a major haircut. Even this is conditional on Revenue approving the scheme which, at last reporting, they hadn't.

So, think carefully before you give them money. And if you already have (like me) - good luck getting what you're owed!

I got my money back from PayPal AND the company sent me a cheque for the refund which I didn't lodge. They didn't even appear to know how to do a paypal refund.

Just avoid this website.

Zac and David - would you mind PMing me your email addresses and details of your dealings with FVD? Jim Budd is going after them in his wine fraud blog so other unsatisfied customers' stories may help. There was also another person whose posts were removed from here - get in touch as well if you're still watching!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kearneyr79

Same happened to me, bought 2 bottles of wine a month ago and haven't heard a word since. The uk number they gave with the email order confirmation is disconnected. I've left numerous voicemail messages with the Dublin number and emailed a few times. No reply. That's €27.50 of my money I'll never get back again. Lucky I only bought 2. Small money but annoying how they can get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 seanod111

they were great a few years back. I ordered 2 cases en primeur and should have delivery some months back - there is no answer to my calls and emails from Ire or UK. Just sensed something was up and found this post. I did use PayPal but as it was 2 years ago I do not think I have comeback.
    Interested to know what I can do - probably try the small claims court and see if they have anything left - just not right that they are still trading if they are not delivering. Could you still order on their website?

This forum is for discussing alcoholic drinks - not debt recovery advice.

Honestly folks, please raise further matters on this business in the Consumer Issues forum.

Closed.

tHB

Thread re-opened as a regular poster has pertinent info that may be of use to other forum regulars.

Please note that the thread will be closed again if this descends into a 'how do I get my money back?' or 'these are a bunch of [add expletive]' fest..

tHB

So, I promised an update. Not looking good unfortunately! I mentioned above that I had been in contact with FVD on 30th July - Stuart promised me my wine within two weeks then. Well, three weeks later and nowt! No response to email either. That I even got that communication is thanks to the (much appreciated) help of wine critic Tom Doorley and UK wine fraud journalist Jim Budd.

Some facts about FVD Ireland:
    1. They have not filed returns for last year, despite being obliged to do so.
    2. As of their last accounts, they have liabilities of over €500,000 and a negative net worth of -€422k.
    3. All of the directors (including Stuart, who still seems to be representing them) resigned in February of this year.
    4. They no longer have any connection with the UK company, and simply licence the name.

FVD UK:
    In the hole to UK Revenue for approx £1 million stg due to "accounting errors". Currently trying to restructure the company with creditors being asked to take a major haircut. Even this is conditional on Revenue approving the scheme which, at last reporting, they hadn't.

So, think carefully before you give them money. And if you already have (like me) - good luck getting what you're owed!

Further to the above and despite the apparent financial difficulties of FVDIE, they have sent out new email marketing in the last few days - anyone considering buying from them should bear the above in mind very carefully! It goes without saying that I haven't got my wine (or refund) - no communication from FVDIE, despite the case being publicised on a well known wine blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Shuntleg

Hi Padraig,

I know I'm late to this discussion, but i am fairly stressed about this.

I bought 5 cases of wine from these guys a couple of years ago and i had left it with them in storage since (pretty niaive, in hindsight). I tried to get them to deliver them recently and no answer. I googled them and discovered this thread.

Did you find out anything more? Are they still trading? Is there any way to get the wine / refund?

Cheers.

Unfortunately I've rather let it slide - just sick of the ****ing thing TBH! You're not alone though - between here and other fora, I've heard from 6 or 7 people who've paid FVD but got nothing in return. Hopefully over Christmas I'll get around to getting my ass in gear and will update when I can!

• Advertisement
Advertisement