Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Beer/Beer Hall/Beer garden/Bar in Munich

Options
  • 28-07-2014 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Heading over to Munich and looking for some tips. Been there plenty of times so looking for somewhere that is not the Hofbrauhaus.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I had dinner in Der Pschorr by the Viktualienmarkt a few months back. Amazing food and very nice beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The Augustiner Biergarten on Arnulfstrasse (5/10 mins walk from the train station) is very good.

A short train ride also gets you to Michaeligarten which has a super Biergarten by a small lake. A lovely spot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

BeerNut wrote: »
    Weissen Bräuhaus is unmissable.

Agreed. And if you go here, be sure to try the homemade Eisbocklikör to finish off your evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

Grand so Weissen Brauhaus, Augustiner Beer garten. Anybody know a nice place out by the lakes on the West side? Am stopping near the Nympenburg palace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭CR 7

Grand so Weissen Brauhaus, Augustiner Beer garten. Anybody know a nice place out by the lakes on the West side? Am stopping near the Nympenburg palace.

Do you mean the lakes outside the city, Amersee etc.? Get to Andechs monastery if you can. If you happen to be there on a Friday you can join a tour of the distillery. I think the brewery tour is for group bookings only. There's 3 beer gardens beside each other, and it's on a hill so there's great views of the scenery around.

If you're going to be near Nymphenburg, Hirschgarten is definitely worth a visit.

I preferred Augustiner Braustuben to the Augustiner Keller. You get off at the same tram stop (Hackerbrucke, Line 17), but cross over the bridge and it's less than 5 minutes walk. It's a beer hall, with more of a traditional design, and has better value beer and food.

The Augustiner Biergarten on Arnulfstrasse (5/10 mins walk from the train station) is very good.

I'd also recommend this place, we spent more time here than at the Oktoberfest. Very nice beer garden and the bierhalle is very good too. Also you just cannot beat Augustiner imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Yeah, the Augustiner place... Or, for something different, you can get the S Bahn to Andechs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Its a long time since I was there, but the hofbrauhaus is worth a visit. There are probably better, but its massive and has a great history behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,859 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If you've got the weather the beer garden by the lake near the Chinese tower in the Englischer Garten is gorgeous.

One of my favourite spots was the Augustiner Bierhalle (I think that's what it was called, it was a long time ago) on Kaufingerstrasse - I was in the other one out past Hauptbahnof recently and it was grand, but the other one was much better IMO.

Andechs is a great day out. They were reputed to brew the strongest beer in Europe (no idea if that was true at the time, or any more). When I was there (not today nor yesterday!) they'd only serve the really strong (stark) beer during the week, because people used to go bananas on it and fall down that hill that someone mentioned earlier. I can confirm that it was Strong Stuff!

• Advertisement

Andechs added to the list

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

If you can't make it all the way out, Andechs also has a pub in the centre of Munich.

But if you've loads of time to get out and about, the Forschungsbrauerei is nice. Great food too. S-Bahn 7 to Perlach.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Hofbrau has to be seen, it's a nice building and has plenty of history to it. There's a nice Augustiner bar across the street from it as well that I quite liked.

Weissen Bräuhaus is also a great place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

ok, heres the first version of what I'd do on a "try as many different breweries as possible" trip around Munich city centre.
    (because you do realise that most places are tied to a particular brewery)

down near the hofbrauhaus is one of the most touristy places on the planet, and about as near as Munich gets to temple bar, but nevertheless you can kill a few birds with the one stone by getting Hofbrau / Ayinger / Augustiner all at once in the same area.

As said above theres the Schneider Weissebrauhaus just below marienplatz for their brew.
    Whats new, is that across the road theres a Tegernseer beerhall/ restaurant opened. If its full you can still get Tegernseer in the Weisse place.
    For Paulaner you have the Paulaner am Tal (opposite Weisse/ beside the new Tegernseer).
    You then have Andechser above at the Cathedral, and to be honest if you havent had Augustiner yet theres 3 good Augustiner places beside the Andechser, with the touristy place being the Bratwurst restaurant which I'd avoid in favour of the Augustiner an Dom or Klosterwirt.
    Its been mentioned above that Der Pschorr is good, and it really is as the lager there is the Hacker Pschorr edel brau (a tiny bit stronger and more smooth) straight out of the wooden barrel - so carbonated naturally and no added gassyness. Also worth trying there is the Sterne Weisse which is a more dark weissbier- but its not dark weissbier at the same time.
    If you want to get some rare weissbier from down the sticks then check out Kilians (or Kennedys) as they stock the Kuchbauer brewerys products.

All thats left now is Löwenbrau/ Spaten/ Franziskaner, but if looking to get that I'd head to the student area there around Turkenstrasse (U Bahn Universität) and try some traditional bars like Alter Simpl which has Löwenbrau & Franziskaner.
    Alternatively, nearby is the Max Emanuel Brewery, which no longer brews but has a nice beergarden serving the 2 brands.
    Round the corner then is the Schelling salon which is an institution in Munich which stocks Spaten (and is rare in that they also have a selection from other breweries) and over the years has seen famous people from Lenin (the politican not musican) to Hitler visit the place - and it hasnt changed an awful lot since those times!

For craft beer theres not a fierce amount seeing as the main breweries have such a hold on the place, but a regional brewery called Camba has taken over a place beside Ostbahnhof called "Tap House" which has over a dozen of their own brews on tap (IIRC) and something like 100 beers in bottles.

Well thanks for all the advice and had a good time.

Andechs monastery was a great day out. Augustiner Beer garden, Chinese tower and Hofbrauhaus were well worth the visit and the Augustiner Braustubl had great food offers before 4pm \Schnitztag Handltag etc. All in all every drop of beer I had I enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Tegernseer have opened up a brewery tap in Munich, they are supposed to be very good

http://www.tandlemanbeerblog.blogspot.ie/2014/08/note-for-tegernsee-lovers.html

http://www.tegernseer-tal8.com/

Advertisement