Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Breast 12 Year

Options
  • 17-07-2014 6:44pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to pick up a bottle of Red Breast 12 Year as a present for a friend. I'm not too familiar with it, so have no idea what kind of price I should be looking to pay - and a quick look around suggests a fair variance depending on the shop.

So can anyone tell me what kind of money a bottle of this should cost?

Is around €60 right/fair?

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It has gone up in price a fair bit in recent years so that is about what you will need to spend on it now I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Red Breast 12 is €59 in Tesco. That's the average price for a Whiskey of that quality I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Azza89

Last time I checked, Mitchells in CHQ was the cheapest. Cant remember how much though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

€56.99 there apparently.

Good price but 12-18 months ago these could be got for €45 and cheaper on occasion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Thanks for that - shame about the price jump, but I think I'll just have to suck it up and pay the ~€60.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

60 quid. I bought a bottle on Saturday. Well worth it. Its a great whiskey with loads of character

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The OP is based in Dublin, so this is probably of no use.

But Redbreast 12 is 36stg in Asda in NI., that's 45 euro.

It's 39/40 in Tesco in NI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

How would the Redbreast compare to Yellow Spot?
    Only a €10 difference in price.

I went into an office licence (Ice Box in Finglas, for those curious) and a bottle was €75.

Now this is more of a beer-focused kind of place, but I thought they were taking the piss all the same.

I went into the Dunnes in the same shopping centre (about a minute's walk away) and got it for €60!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

flogen wrote: »
    I went into an office licence (Ice Box in Finglas, for those curious) and a bottle was €75.

Now this is more of a beer-focused kind of place, but I thought they were taking the piss all the same.

I went into the Dunnes in the same shopping centre (about a minute's walk away) and got it for €60!

Jaysus that is a rip off price. A few quid more and you could have gotten the cask strength. Did you highlight the fact with them that they were ripping people off?

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote: »
    Jaysus that is a rip off price. A few quid more and you could have gotten the cask strength. Did you highlight the fact with them that they were ripping people off?

No - I went there first, then went to Dunnes to see if they had it at all. Once I got it there I wasn't bothered going back in to point it out.

If I'm in there again I might pretend I'm interested in a bottle just to raise a stink about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

54kroc wrote: »
    How would the Redbreast compare to Yellow Spot?
    Only a €10 difference in price.

Yellow spot is only out a few years, it's finished in malaga wine casks which gives it a real sweetness. an absolutely fabulous whiskey. Red breast is around forever, very difficult to fault it. Given the choice I would take the yellow spot though.

Advertisement