Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goodbye to Gambling

Options
  • 22-01-2014 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭

Hi guys in the Gambling Forum. Carraig2 here doing something I need to do for my own peace of mind and that of my partner. I had a bit of a wake-up call yesterday when my gf sent me a message saying we had to talk. I initially thought it was something of nothing and I opened an AH thread having a laugh about the whole thing.

In fact it was something very serious, my gambling. You who have been here a lot have seen that I am on every day, gambling every day and for the most part losing every day. I have had some wins and have got smarter but realistically I am losing more than I win. I never put large amounts in my account but that is not to say I have not lost big. I might only lodge €20 but eg one day I made €200 and lost the whole lot on two bets. I spent more than I should and I even ended up borrowing from a moneylender to make up the losses.

So I made a promise to a girl, a real lady that I am lucky to have. I told her I would stop. But I kept one account and lodged in the shop so it wouldn't show on the bank statement. I got caught. And now I not alone broke a promise but I hurt this girl by lying, sneaking around and putting everything else first instead of her. I really didn't think i had a problem but if I was willing to hurt the best thing that ever happened to me for the sake of predicting a few goals in a match then yeah I have a problem.

So bottom line is i gotta do what I can to keep this girl and protect myself. I closed down my accounts and I am having myself banned from this forum. I just wanted to come on and say to you that I have enjoyed the camaraderie here and the banter but at a cost maybe too high and not just financial.

I know most of you are betting small amounts for the fun and can do that but I just want to warn any of you who feel it is beginning to consume more of your cash and your time than it should that maybe it is becoming a problem for you too.

So it's goodbye to the gambling forum for me. Inforfun , Magherakid, Docta Dee and especially Dio, it's been great knowing you. Keep up the good work lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭Dio On The Doubles

Sorry to hear that it turned out to be a problem like that Carraig but fair play to you for taking the step to realise that it's not working out and placing your relationship above it.

Gambling is a vicious yolk when it goes sour and causes financial and relationship strain.

I think most gamblers have probably had a few times when they wondered if it was worth it. I know I definitely have. I had to pull myself back and manage my researching time and also take a step back at weekends as it was taking too much time up. It's a very easy thing to get caught in. Fair play to you for recognising the step needed if it wasn't working and sorting your priorities in life.

We'll miss the banter on here with ya but good luck to you and your partner with your futures.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Well done pal.

And if you ever need a chat or something, dont be a stranger to my PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Yeah Carraig, just to echo what the other lads have said ... it just wasn't to be .. brave decision and also the right decision .. all the best wishes to you in the future. Kind regards

• Registered Users Posts: 9,351 ✭✭✭magherakid

Once you start borrowing from a moneylender your in the wrong game. You've took the first step in the right direction by admitting your problem, good luck with the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Fair play to ya caraig. Best of luck:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,720 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

...know when to walk away..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Well done carraig. I'm sure plenty of people would support you here if you didn't want to talk face to face to someone. My suggestion would be to get rid of your broadband if you have it at home. My gambling sky rocketed when I got my internet sorted and it was becoming too much. I cancelled my broadband 1 month ago and have already seen the benefits, both socially and at home.

Best of luck to you, always hard to make the first step.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

dobman88 wrote: »
    Well done carraig. I'm sure plenty of people would support you here if you didn't want to talk face to face to someone. My suggestion would be to get rid of your broadband if you have it at home. My gambling sky rocketed when I got my internet sorted and it was becoming too much. I cancelled my broadband 1 month ago and have already seen the benefits, both socially and at home.

Best of luck to you, always hard to make the first step.

Now i will be the last person who will deny that the internet can consume a lot of your time but to get rid of broadband because of gambling goes a bit far.
    I know there are about a million gambling websites but there are otherways to get rid of those. Closing accounts that you already have is 1 step but it is easy enough to just open another account at another bookie
    If I look at my work pc, there is no way that i can access any website related to gambling, even normal blogs that only discuss gambling.

Then there is always the bookie in the street, how do you get rid of them? Burn down the building?

The internet has become a too important tool for every day life. I will not say you can not do without it but i think getting rid of your broadband will have more cons than pro's.

Someone in the know would know exactly what to do with a router so gambling websites cant be accessed anymore.
    And the avarage home user will not be able to work around that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭carraig2

inforfun wrote: »
    Now i will be the last person who will deny that the internet can consume a lot of your time but to get rid of broadband because of gambling goes a bit far.
    I know there are about a million gambling websites but there are otherways to get rid of those. Closing accounts that you already have is 1 step but it is easy enough to just open another account at another bookie
    If I look at my work pc, there is no way that i can access any website related to gambling, even normal blogs that only discuss gambling.

Then there is always the bookie in the street, how do you get rid of them? Burn down the building?

The internet has become a too important tool for every day life. I will not say you can not do without it but i think getting rid of your broadband will have more cons than pro's.

Someone in the know would know exactly what to do with a router so gambling websites cant be accessed anymore.
    And the avarage home user will not be able to work around that.

I won't be getting rid of broadband. I need it for work, my girlfriend needs it for work. My girlfriend also needs it to google ****e when we argue to prove which of is right (90% her:() My kids need it for schoolwork the weekends they are with me. Infor that's a good idea about getting someone to have a look at it to ban access to gambling websites. I will have a look at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,276 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Fair play OP.

Once it crosses the line to affecting loved ones it's problem gambling.

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

i followed your thread i am glad u2 worked it out best of luck

Gambling isn't something you just quit, self exclude yourself mate it'll make it a lot easier for yourself, will also mean you'll stop wasting time watching games in Romania :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 OzilsForeskin

Fair play. Easy for it to ruin your life, luckily you didn't get that far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭carraig2

Fair play. Easy for it to ruin your life, luckily you didn't get that far!

Great username:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Fair play man. Just on the banning sites there is definitely software for doing it as a friend of mine had to go for it. It requires a password to bypass which of course his partner set.

If you want me to find it out just drop me a pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Good read. Think it should be posted in the football tips thread so more will see it. Only a minor gambler myself. Only used my online account yesterday for the first time in a year. Had just been going to my local Powers on a sat and doing a ten quid accum every week which herself knows about so I was hiding nothing. Threw 20 quid in my powers account yesterday but already regret it and wont be doing it again for a long time. Will stick to my once a week visit to powers. Online is just too easy to get greedy and always looking to find something to bet on. Was never an addict or lost any big money but I can easily see how people end up in trouble. Well done OP

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭kev250

Nooo do not close the accounts, can i have them?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

well done op
    I admire your honesty
    best of luck in the future

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement