Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Temp of return pipe on unica sensor boilers

• 06-01-2014 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

What is the reason for a thermostat on the return pipe in a Moderator Unica Sensor boiler? Will it matter if it is reduced from the recommended 55c to 40c as long as the central heating temp is no more than 10c higher?

Marycelineok

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

What is the reason for a thermostat on the return pipe in a Moderator Unica Sensor boiler? Will it matter if it is reduced from the recommended 55c to 40c as long as the central heating temp is no more than 10c higher?

Marycelineok
    I think the stat is set to control a mixing valve that won't let water to the house until the return is 55 to the boiler. It prevents condensation inside the boiler

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Marycelineok

Thanks for that. House is warmer at lower temp because of constant heat. How will I know if there is condensation within boiler and what problems will it cause?

Would running it at a lower temp for say 5 days and then at higher temp over weekend stop condensation?

Thanks for that. House is warmer at lower temp because of constant heat. How will I know if there is condensation within boiler and what problems will it cause?

Would running it at a lower temp for say 5 days and then at higher temp over weekend stop condensation?

I doubt it to be honest. Condensation will rot your boiler. It is possible your pipe stat isn't accurate. Perhaps change it for a new one just to be sure first. Only around a tenner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

As dtp rightly pointed out the return senson is controlling a balanced return mixing valve, which works to maintain the boilers cast iron heat exchanger at a set temp in order to minimize boiler condensation and thermal shock.

Imo the return set temp should only be adjusted by a qualified install or service eng.

Have you tried adjusting the boilers main thermostatic controls to adjust the level of heat generated or are you just connected to a buffer storage?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Marycelineok

There is a computerised control on top of boiler which allows us to set the ch temp. We were advised that the return pipe should be set 10c below ch temp.
    Operating instruction manual state the minimum return temp should be 55c which means ch minimum is 65c. However this is very difficult to maintain. Once temp falls below about 67c the flow to house is reduced and stops at 60c. This means we have to feed boiler every 2 to 3 hours and is very costly. With temp set at 50 and 40 resp we have constant heat to house rather than intermittent. This is more comfortable and the boiler only needs feeding every 8 to 10 hours and cost considerable less to run. However I do not wish to damage the boiler and would welcome any suggestions.

We do not have buffer storage

• Advertisement

Maybe its a buffer you need to control the flow temp to the house, if the boilers mi states min return temp 55*c as we discribed for condensation and thermal shock I don't see any alternative to the stated min return temp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

A lot cheaper & easier to install but with similar results would be a low loss header, which in affect is a mini-buffer tank.
    I installed one in my own house to ensure I keep the boiler in condensing mode for as long as possible & reduce boiler short cycling as I have UFH with an oil boiler.

Works a treat & very little space required.

shane0007 wrote: »
    A lot cheaper & easier to install but with similar results would be a low loss header, which in affect is a mini-buffer tank.
    I installed one in my own house to ensure I keep the boiler in condensing mode for as long as possible & reduce boiler short cycling as I have UFH with an oil boiler.

Works a treat & very little space required.

Do they work with solid fuel Shane?

The boiler in question would have a 110ltr boiler content llh wouldn't do much min of 800ltr buffer needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Do they work with solid fuel Shane?

Sorry, dismiss what I posted. Wasn't thinking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement