Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stones falling down chimney

Options
  • 06-01-2014 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

We had our fire lighting the other night when some soot started falling down (windy/rainy night), this was then followed by two smallish stones falling down (maybe around 4"/5" across). We let the chimney go out and I had a look inside the following morning and could see a small part just inside the chimney (say 3 feet from the ground) where the stones seemed to have crumbled from.
    We told the landlord but he said not to worry about it and to light the fire. Is this safe? Would a chimney sweep be able to inspect it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Froststop

robocode wrote: »
    We had our fire lighting the other night when some soot started falling down (windy/rainy night), this was then followed by two smallish stones falling down (maybe around 4"/5" across). We let the chimney go out and I had a look inside the following morning and could see a small part just inside the chimney (say 3 feet from the ground) where the stones seemed to have crumbled from.
    We told the landlord but he said not to worry about it and to light the fire. Is this safe? Would a chimney sweep be able to inspect it?

I assume the house is old and built from stone. I would think it would need to be looked at. It may need to be lined. If you know a chimney sweep or a builder, I would ask them to have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

Yeah it's a pretty old house. Would a chimney sweep be able to give much feedback? The landlord isn't worried but we want to err on the side of caution

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Froststop

Yeah it's a pretty old house. Would a chimney sweep be able to give much feedback? The landlord isn't worried but we want to err on the side of caution

I would think so if he's any way handy. The landlord is afraid it will cost him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Santa could be stuck up there :D

Advertisement