Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing gas oven with electric?

• 05-01-2014 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi

Our old gas oven and hob (seperate units) are giving up the ghost after 15-20 yrs and need to be replaced

After a look around Harveys today it became apparent that there are very few options to replace like for like - nearly all the stock are electric rather than gas.

Also the only gas option they have has grill option in the top oven only (whereas I'd like to have the option of a lower and upper oven).

So a change to electric would open up a lot more options. But I've no idea how simple or otherwise this is. i.e. replace the hob and the oven with electric alternatives. Is this trivial or a more significant undertaking (I would be getting a professional, won't be doing it myself). The house is about 15yrs old so relatively modern fyi.

Not sure whether the running costs on electric would be similar to gas or not so welcome any thoughts on that also?

TIA

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

You may end up needing 2 professionals as a result of the crazy regulatory system now in force, one for gas, another for electric, as the old route of getting a kitchen fitter to do the job may be a problem, as they may not be able to certify the work.

The one thought, which will be relevant, if at all possible, make very sure you are not locked into a single fuel for cooking, so a gas hob and electric oven should mean that in the event of an industrial dispute, or a fault on a network, you can at least cook something.

Depending on how the house was built, if the existing oven is gas, you may not have a suitable capacity electric supply to the area where the oven is, so that could mean running a new supply from the fuse board to the oven area in order to change from gas to electric. That's not a simple job, due to the size of cable needed for an oven, and the complex rules relating to the position of isolator switches, especially if the kitchen is tiled.

Cheers

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Advertisement