Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL 1st years 2015/2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Js1997

Does anyone know if you arrive early tomorrow will you get a better house (closer to the exit) or is the time you arrive irrelevant, like if I arrive next week would I get the same house I would have got tomorrow? Are houses allocated as you arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Js1997 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you arrive early tomorrow will you get a better house (closer to the exit) or is the time you arrive irrelevant, like if I arrive next week would I get the same house I would have got tomorrow? Are houses allocated as you arrive

No, the houses would have already been allocated.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Js1997 wrote: »

It's all predetermined. (Though if you arrive early, you can chance your arm and ask for a different room and they might sort you...)

Oh, and "closer to the exit" is not a better place to live. The further in you are, the less you'll have to listen to drunken twats coming in at 3am. This is doubly the case in Dromroe as people get taxis from the main gate on nights out, so good luck studying through that. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭tr0llface

im so scared now i'll be on my own tomorrow night oh my god

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

tr0llface wrote: »
    im so scared now i'll be on my own tomorrow night oh my god

I half hope I'm on my own so I can claim cupboard and fridge space :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Js1997

Anyone else in plassey, what house number are ye? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

11987004_946989888694491_5928714065277499184_n.jpg?oh=655209ae7c65e785dfa5914b268b9644&oe=566A14AA

Can also be subbed for Redbull/Relentless... welcome to college!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

So lectures and all that start Monday, but what's the story with labs and tutorials? The head of our department gave us a timetable with just lectures, do I go to then only for the first 3 or so weeks or is there somewhere where I can find out about labs?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Troxck wrote: »
    So lectures and all that start Monday, but what's the story with labs and tutorials? The head of our department gave us a timetable with just lectures, do I go to then only for the first 3 or so weeks or is there somewhere where I can find out about labs?

In general, labs and tutorials start in Week 3. They can start before that if the lecturer chooses, you'll be told in your first lecture in a module when the labs and tutes start.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,832 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

A chap I know is starting in UL. He's staying on Campus and doing Engineering.

I'll let him know about this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

You'll also get your final timetable in about week 2 once all the first years have registered for their modules

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    In general, labs and tutorials start in Week 3. They can start before that if the lecturer chooses, you'll be told in your first lecture in a module when the labs and tutes start.

Thanks, and I saw your reply too iLaura, I appreciate it!

I just wanted to confirm it. I didn't want to start college off on the wrong foot

What's everyone thinking in terms of clubs/societies?

What's everyone thinking in terms of clubs/societies?

I've signed up for Outdoor Pursuits, Kayaking and Badminton. I have only ever played badminton a few times and not competitively so I'm not sure how that will play out.

Did you get one of those bands for Freshers Week?

I've signed up for Outdoor Pursuits, Kayaking and Badminton. I have only ever played badminton a few times and not competitively so I'm not sure how that will play out.

Did you get one of those bands for Freshers Week?

Omg I'm signing up for badminton too:eek: I figured it was the one sport that I might find fun but not too competitive.

I'm not going to get one, I don't really fancy the line up and probably won't go to everything:o

Omg I'm signing up for badminton too:eek: I figured it was the one sport that I might find fun but not too competitive.

I'm not going to get one, I don't really fancy the line up and probably won't go to everything:o

Badminton is fun and pretty easy to pick up! My friend is really good though and can do all the trickshots etc. At least together we can be in the beginner group!

I bought the band, but I'm not sure if I'll head to every night out in the city. I have 9am starts on a Wednesday and Friday, the two days after the student nights, typical!

Badminton is fun and pretty easy to pick up! My friend is really good though and can do all the trickshots etc. At least together we can be in the beginner group!

I bought the band, but I'm not sure if I'll head to every night out in the city. I have 9am starts on a Wednesday and Friday, the two days after the student nights, typical!

That's reassuring!

My earliest start is 11am and I have nothing on Wednesday :) Looking forward to getting back into a routine more than anything

That's reassuring!

My earliest start is 11am and I have nothing on Wednesday :) Looking forward to getting back into a routine more than anything

What are you studying? I'm essentially in 9-6 when labs and tutorials kick in. It'll all be worth it in the end, I hope...

What are you studying? I'm essentially in 9-6 when labs and tutorials kick in. It'll all be worth it in the end, I hope...

Journalism so I only have about 15 hours a week but expect to be busy by joining the radio, paper etc and I'll be doing German so that'll keep me occupied as well!

Journalism so I only have about 15 hours a week but expect to be busy by joining the radio, paper etc and I'll be doing German so that'll keep me occupied as well!

One of us.... one of us... one of us....

:P

• Advertisement

I hope I have spare time for the clubs and socs. The head of our department said we'd be doing around 50 hours a week between labs, lectures, tutorials and study!

Can't wait for it actually all to begin, I hate being idle!

I hope I have spare time for the clubs and socs. The head of our department said we'd be doing around 50 hours a week between labs, lectures, tutorials and study!

Can't wait for it actually all to begin, I hate being idle!

Jesus, that'd put study time in at around 20 hours a week, and I'm sorry but hardly any student does that early in the semester

iLaura wrote: »
    Jesus, that'd put study time in at around 20 hours a week, and I'm sorry but hardly any student does that early in the semester

Yeah, I'm not really sure if anyone would actually do that. He said our 12 hours of lectures equals 24 hours of study...

Yeah, I'm not really sure if anyone would actually do that. He said our 12 hours of lectures equals 24 hours of study...

TBH, that's just what lecturers say. It's like in LC when you were told you should be doing like 4-5 hours a night (at least that's what we were told). Sure, there's times when it'll be necessary to do 50+ hours a week when assignments and midterms and exams roll around, but you'll get by just fine without going to the lengths they say you're supposed to.

IMO, getting involved with a Club or Soc or going out is just as important.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    TBH, that's just what lecturers say. It's like in LC when you were told you should be doing like 4-5 hours a night (at least that's what we were told). Sure, there's times when it'll be necessary to do 50+ hours a week when assignments and midterms and exams roll around, but you'll get by just fine without going to the lengths they say you're supposed to.

IMO, getting involved with a Club or Soc or going out is just as important.

Thanks!

I know I'm asking such stupid questions but I'm just not sure about some things...

Thanks!

I know I'm asking such stupid questions but I'm just not sure about some things...

Hey, that's what the internet is for, asking questions you deem stupid anonymously :P

Thanks!

It makes me feel better about still being in UL to know that at least I can answer questions for ickle firsties...

If only I could've answered questions on my exam papers as I do on Boards... *sigh*

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Thanks!

Are you doing Applied Physics by any chance?

Chavways wrote: »
    Are you doing Applied Physics by any chance?

I am, yes! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 PotmBottom

Financial Maths lad here, so just to clarify, labs and tutorials don't start until week 3? That clears up a whole bunch of confusion. I had no idea what time I was supposed to go in tomorrow. What about modules I know I'm not taking, even though I haven't registered yet, do I have to go to that first lecture?

Advertisement