Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus route 11 to Sandyford Industrial Estate

Options
  • 17-08-2013 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am looking for a job at the moment and I kind of have to asses what my options are commute time wise.

If I were to commute using bus 11 from Drumcondra Skylon Hotel to Sandyford Industrial Estate, does anyone know how long the journey would take at peak hours?

Thanks very much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

Depends a bit on the exact time you set out (there can be a big difference in time taken between setting out at, say 7.15 or 8.00) but on average, assuming morning rush-hour, I would estimate an hour to an hour and ten minutes.

C635

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Touchee

I would probably be looking at 8 o'clock, it does seem to take quite a long time, considering i have to leave home at least 10 minutes to get to the bus stop, it would probably be somewhere around 1 hour and 20 minutes

Thanks a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,562 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Best option at peak would be probably bus and LUAS combination, which would either be 11 to Kildare Street and Luas from St Stephen's Green, or 16 to the top of Camden Street and LUAS from Harcourt stop.

You can get Bus/LUAS combination prepaid period tickets if you're going to do the commute regularly - see here:
    http://dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/2-Journey-Daily-Weekly/Bus--Luas-Tickets/

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Put your exact locations and relevant dates and times into www.a-b.ie and tweak the settings. That and real time information from the operators websites are your friends.

Another option would be the 44 from Drumcondra to Adelaide Road and change to Luas at Harcourt. Or any bus to O'Connell Street, any bus to Adelaide Road and change to Luas at Harcourt.

Luas will do the southside bit much faster than the bus.

An oddity would be to get the DART from Tara Street to Sydney Parade and then the 47, but it sounds messy.

It should take 60-70 minutes, assuming every thing goes to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Victor wrote: »
    An oddity would be to get the DART from Tara Street to Sydney Parade and then the 47, but it sounds messy.

'Messy' wouldn't begin to describe it - there's a bottleneck getting onto the Merrion Road in the morning thanks to the volume of traffic and the Dart crossing. For the southbound 47, there's also a bottleneck getting out of Park Ave. onto Sydney Parade, not helped when Sydney Parade is usually choked up with a line of cars waiting for the level crossing barriers to open.

At the junction of Ailesbury Road and the Merrion Road there's always one idiot coming from Sandymount who intends turning right to go into town but who insists on sitting in the middle of the lane, thereby blocking people who want to turn left to go towards St. Vincent's, that lane is barely two car widths so it requires that people keep well to the right if they're going into town or straight ahead for Donnybrook. That carry on and the Dart level crossing means big backlogs every morning which affects the 47 bus service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

coylemj wrote: »
    'Messy' wouldn't begin to describe it - there's a bottleneck getting onto the Merrion Road in the morning thanks to the volume of traffic and the Dart crossing. For the southbound 47, there's also a bottleneck getting out of Park Ave. onto Sydney Parade, not helped when Sydney Parade is usually choked up with a line of cars waiting for the level crossing barriers to open.

At the junction of Ailesbury Road and the Merrion Road there's always one idiot coming from Sandymount who intends turning right to go into town but who insists on sitting in the middle of the lane, thereby blocking people who want to turn left to go towards St. Vincent's, that lane is barely two car widths so it requires that people keep well to the right if they're going into town or straight ahead for Donnybrook. That carry on and the Dart level crossing means big backlogs every morning which affects the 47 bus service.

Well put coylemj.

All very pertinent points and relevant when asking why,when all of this was well documented and known of,was the original Network Direct 47 routing along the Merrion Road dispensed with in order to foist this camel of a route alignment upon customers and staff alike ?

It's as if the "Direct" bit was deemed superfluous :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Merrion Road has plenty of buses when one takes the DART into account.

Without wanting to get off topic, the 2 and 3 are gone and the 1 stops at Sandymount, so the 47 provide a link from Ringsend, Sandymount and the DART to UCD and Sandyford.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,562 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Well put coylemj.

All very pertinent points and relevant when asking why,when all of this was well documented and known of,was the original Network Direct 47 routing along the Merrion Road dispensed with in order to foist this camel of a route alignment upon customers and staff alike ?

It's as if the "Direct" bit was deemed superfluous :(

Again I think that there is a misconception here.

Not every route has to be direct - there will always have to be local bus routes supporting the direct ones.

Each QBC has a direct service, but there have also to be local services that back them up.

The 47 actually links up quite a few areas and when I've taken it I've been surprised by the numbers boarding in Ringsend, Irishtown and Sandymount who have been travelling to beyond UCD.

It fulfills both radial and orbital criteria and actually provides useful connections between different areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

I agree with Victor and Lxflyer, I use the 47 occasionally and every time there are passengers traveling between the unique sections of the route, especially between Ringsend and Stillorgan.

I don't think the intention was for the 47 to be a direct QBC style route.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I also use the 47 but only for social purposes and never at peak times, my point is that I wouldn't rely on it from Sandymount to Sandyford for commuting and since the OP has already been given options involving a bus to the city centre and then the Luas to Sandyford, I wouldn't touch the 47 as an option to get to Sandyford in the morning when the Luas will get him there much faster.

I'm sure the 47 is a great service for those with no other options but those bottlenecks restrict it's appeal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP I would be more concerned with the bus being full and you unable to get it. I know from getting it, once the schools start back ( a lot of children from Glasnevin and Drumcondra go to schools in the CC) that the buses can be full and have to wait for the next empty once which can be a while.

hfallada wrote: »
    OP I would be more concerned with the bus being full and you unable to get it. I know from getting it, once the schools start back ( a lot of children from Glasnevin and Drumcondra go to schools in the CC) that the buses can be full and have to wait for the next empty once which can be a while.

Hence the suggestion to get any bus to O'Connell Street. No particular need to get the 11 in Drumcondra.

Victor wrote: »
    Hence the suggestion to get any bus to O'Connell Street. No particular need to get the 11 in Drumcondra.

I took the 11 back from Sandyford and it was one hour and half later when I got off, pretty long journey tbh, not one that I would be looking forward everyday.

The luas wasn't an option as the company was based on the other side of sandyford and it would have meant another 15 min walk

Thanks anyway for all your replies

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭markpb

Touchee wrote: »
    The luas wasn't an option as the company was based on the other side of sandyford and it would have meant another 15 min walk

Which part of Snadyford is 15 mins from the Luas? I didn't think any part was more than 8-9 mins away (which mine is).

Either way, I'd pick a Luas (with its speed, predictability and reliability) and a few mins walk over a much slower and much less predictable bus journey.

markpb wrote: »
    Which part of Snadyford is 15 mins from the Luas? I didn't think any part was more than 8-9 mins away (which mine is).

Either way, I'd pick a Luas (with its speed, predictability and reliability) and a few mins walk over a much slower and much less predictable bus journey.

Got off the luas at stillorgan, walked to beacon clinic, about 13 minutes on the clock. The downside of the luas is that I'd have to take a bus into town, than luas, than walk. Plus I also consider an evening course and the commute would not make it easy, but thanks anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Can you not get to work an hour earlier and leave your house at 7am say? I have to commute across the city going through the city center and have made my standard workday ~8am - 4pm to make the commute more palatable. Irrespective of what public transport route you choose in this case, going to and from at the absolute peak demand times means you are going to have a bad time.

Advertisement