Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Bus route 90 - how often does the bus from Heuston run?

• 03-07-2013 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭

Just recently, have started to attempt to get the bus from Heuston to the IFSC. However, in the past few weeks, I have managed to get the 90 once. It doesn't seem to matter what time I am there. It can vary from 8.00 to 8.30 -no sign of the 90. There is no real time information at the stop either. Can anyone help, please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I cycle the quays each day and I've never seen the 90.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I thought it was gotten rid of and now the 145 does that route instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Every half hour roughly. The Dublin city bus website give you the timetable.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/90/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I thought it was gotten rid of and now the 145 does that route instead.

The 145 goes out near st Stephens green, leeson st, think it goes out to donnybrook but it does cater for Heuston alright by going to the south of the city. The 90 bus covers Heuston, maybe connolly, Westmoreland st etc mainly the north side of city but the timetable tell you where else it goes I've a feeling it go to rathmines maybe that a different bus 128?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Here is the timetable - it should run at morning peak hours only every 15 minutes from 06:45 to 10:00.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/90/

It does not appear on the RTPI as it is operated by "extra work" buses which are operate random services each day.

If you have a bus pass I would advise (if the 90 is not at the stop) taking a 145 to Ormond Quay (stop 1479) just before Capel Street and switching there to either a 90 or 151.

Alternatively, take the LUAS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Thanks everyone. Yes, I should have added, there is a timetable at the stop, and I have also looked on the Dublin Bus website, but I wondered if there had been some change that I hadn't heard about because I have waited a couple of times, in vain, and have had to resort to the Luas which costs me more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

lxflyer wrote: »
    It does not appear on the RTPI as it is operated by "extra work" buses which are operate random services each day.

that's a joke. how do the NTA let DB away with that?

You are misinterpreting what I'm saying.

What I mean is that a bus could do a 90 and then something completely different - there are no marked in buses on the 90. However as the 90 ex-Heuston is a rail feeder service buses can be held back to meet trains.

That's the reason there is no RTPI info as they are not working to a set "board".

The timetable should still operate as advertised with a little wriggle room if a train is late.

They have a set timetable (as above) so there is no reason not to use RTPI except to cover the fact that the buses clearly don't run as advertised. And what difference does it make if the bus does another route before or after, between the GPS and ticket machine they should be able to transmit the fact its running as a 90 at the time.

Because the RTPI computer reads from a set timetable that the scheduler drew up (as per the pdf documents on the NTA website) that is programmed in when a driver keys in the departure and then projects times from wherever the bus is using those running times.

The 90 does not have a set timetable as such due to its departures ex-Heuston being dictated by train arrivals.

• Advertisement

The 90 does not have a set timetable as such due to its departures ex-Heuston being dictated by train arrivals.

Except it does, 6.45, 7 and every 15mins till ten. That sounds like a set timetable to me. Whats the point of it otherwise?

Still no joy, regardless of what time I arrive at Heuston, and despite the timetable stating that this bus runs every 15 minutes, I have not managed to see it, much less catch it. Have given up waiting in vain, and now take the Luas, though that costs extra, since I have an annual bus ticket, which I could use on the elusive 90...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

LynnGrace wrote: »
    Have given up waiting in vain, and now take the Luas, though that costs extra, since I have an annual bus ticket, which I could use on the elusive 90...

That's a shame.

You should take Lxflyer's advice above

If you have a bus pass I would advise (if the 90 is not at the stop) taking a 145 to Ormond Quay (stop 1479) just before Capel Street and switching there to either a 90 or 151.

KD345 wrote: »
    That's a shame.

You should take Lxflyer's advice above

Thanks for this. I notice now they have the display at the stop, stating that the bus runs every 15 minutes etc. I still rarely see it, but don't rely on it anymore anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

LynnGrace wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. Yes, I should have added, there is a timetable at the stop, and I have also looked on the Dublin Bus website, but I wondered if there had been some change that I hadn't heard about because I have waited a couple of times, in vain, and have had to resort to the Luas which costs me more.
    The Luas costs at peak €1.70 (off peak 10c less) and Bus 90 €1.80.

You might have a bus day ticket or something that means it works out cheaper for you personally, but on the face of it the Luas does the same job for less for a normal cash paying customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

The Luas costs at peak €1.70 (off peak 10c less) and Bus 90 €1.80.

The Luas fare is €2.10 peak and €2.00 off peak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

KD345 wrote: »
    The Luas fare is €2.10 peak and €2.00 off peak.

Not to mention that the OP stated they have an annual bus ticket so if they could get the 90 it would be costing them nothing extra. The LUAS killed the 90 I suspect that DB are using the buses where they feel they may be more productive for them. Basically route stripping, a bus breaks down, or is stuck in traffic they are using the extra works allocated to the 90 to cover them. That would be my guess.
    However if that is the case, the OP should perhaps contact DB and ask them if they can use their annual bus ticket on the LUAS when the 90 is a no show as that is the arrangement when the LUAS is out of service that LUAS tickets are honoured by DB.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

...That's the reason there is no RTPI info as they are not working to a set "board".

The timetable should still operate as advertised with a little wriggle room if a train is late.

Isn't there a dedicated RTPI pole for the 90 at Heuston? In front of the 145 and 747 stops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

dfx- wrote: »
    Isn't there a dedicated RTPI pole for the 90 at Heuston? In front of the 145 and 747 stops.

There is, but it just notes that there is no real time info.
    This is very much an adhoc service that leaves Heuston as the trains arrive, I have often gotten on the bus as it arrived and sat there for 10-15 minutes waiting for the next train to come in so we can leave, it is quite frustrating.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

There is, but it just notes that there is no real time info.

I know from being around Heuston very late (11pm+) that it gives the timetable information, something like:"Route 90 operates every 15 minutes Mon-Fri until 1000h"

So the pole must give more information when the service is not supposed to run than when it is.:pac:

• Advertisement

dfx- wrote: »
    I know from being around Heuston very late (11pm+) that it gives the timetable information, something like:"Route 90 operates every 15 minutes Mon-Fri until 1000h"

So the pole must give more information when the service is not supposed to run than when it is.:pac:

Yes, it shows a message stating that the bus runs every 15 minutes, from, I think, 6.45 a.m. It seems to be hit and miss, as to whether the bus runs or not, and waiting for the trains to come in does mean that if I am lucky enough to get a 90, as another poster has stated, we usually have to sit there for 10 or 15 minutes. Could be worse, I know, but it is not good service from Dublin Bus, in my opinion.

Why didn't you try my suggestion - 145 and then 151?

Why didn't you try my suggestion - 145 and then 151?

Thanks, I did, and appreciate the help. I have used the 151.

That's the best way to do it as then you have a choice from Ormond Quay.

Advertisement