Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

G.K. wrote: »
    I can't understand how you lot can have a result like that with the injury list you have. Just goes to show how effective SAF is, I suppose. Credit to him.

Like everything, I'm just gonna use Sorcery as an explanation. Makes more sense then any other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Time for me to plead my customary case for Berbatov to start every game, four goals in two games, two of which were real quailty.

He should start against Blackbur Rovers. Quality.

I disagree. While I want him to play more, rotation is key in this Christmas period. United play again in 4 days, then again in 4 days, then again in 4 days.

Rooney should be playing against Blackburn, Berbs vs. Newcastle and then Rooney vs. City. With Chico/Welbeck alternating with him.

With so little strength in depth in midfield and at the back, the only area where we can really freshen up properly is up front. They can't be tired at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

I wouldn't mind seeing Berba and Rooney starting against Blackburn.

I kinda miss that partnership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

G.K. wrote: »
    I can't understand how you lot can have a result like that with the injury list you have. Just goes to show how effective SAF is, I suppose. Credit to him.

our strength in depth has won us 4 titles in the past 5 years, people under estimate our squad, its the best in the league IMO, but we get little credit for that.

the only problem we have is in CM, we are one or even 2 world class cms away from being able to give barcelona and real a right good shot for their money.

essenctially, at this time of year, squads win games. our first 11 is not perfect, but our squad almost is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

fergie is hoping smalling and jones will be, the are only sick, not injured.

rio has had a set back, a back injury :eek::eek::eek: that could be 6 months, going on previous :(

would expect maybe rafael to get a game against blackburn,

rafael jones smalling evra wouldnt be bad and hopefully then we have evans and rio back fresh for city.

6 months? You sure? Haven't heard anything about it. Thought he would be back for Blackburn game.

• Advertisement

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    6 months? You sure? Haven't heard anything about it. Thought he would be back for Blackburn game.

no no, relax, thats only me thinking out loud.

im only saying that has happened before, his back injurys are known for causing him long long periods out. hopefully this is just a precaution.

fergie said last week he should be back for blackburn, but lsat night said "hes had a set back".

no no, relax, thats only me thinking out loud.

im only saying that has happened before, his back injurys are known for causing him long long periods out. hopefully this is just a precaution.

fergie said last week he should be back for blackburn, but lsat night said "hes had a set back".

Read somewhere that Rio was ready to play but SAF pulled him back. Maybe just a precaution. We can't afford to lose anymore defenders.

If Rafael is fit then it is about time he gets his place back. He should get extended run of games as RB as when he plays our attack is so fluent from right side. His overlapping runs and timing are damn good. I miss him a lot. Miss the little fecker who squared up to Tevez :D

I miss him :(

C_71_article_1370935_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg?10%2F11%2F2010%2021%3A59%3A28%3A984

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Stancollymore: Madrid willing to sell Kaka for £22m.Man United fans,is that the attacking midfielder you're after???

I would jizz myself.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Stancollymore: Madrid willing to sell Kaka for £22m.Man United fans,is that the attacking midfielder you're after???

I would jizz myself.

is he not really really s*it nowadays?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

No, he's still a great player.

Weren't there rumours that Ozil might be available?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

I would jizz myself.

£22M for a player who turns 30 in April?

I don't think so. Berbatov was an exception to Utd's transfer policy and he was 27 so signing a player turning 30 for that kind of money is not going to happen IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

He has played much better for Real recently when he has had a run of games.

But he's 29, can't see it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,343 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

definitely can't play in a 2 man midfield anyway.

Liam O wrote: »

definitely can't play in a 2 man midfield anyway.
    Kaka and carrick with two good wide men would beast tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭slingerz

isnt Kaka on massive wages as well? think its most likely Milan for him or else perhaps Anzhi/PSG

I would jizz myself.

No. He is at his best when played behind striker, which is Rooney's position in our team. He is no Giggs to play as CM. He can play as LW but we have Nani playing there.

He will be 30 this season, massive wages, dodgy fitness. No thanks.

If we sign anyone it should be a proper CM, not a part time CM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,506 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

About to take the dog on a big long walk, can any of you recommend a decent United podcast to listen to whilst the dig chases rabbits.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Well well well, the old codger has done it again - dragged a poor looking (on paper) Utd team level on points with early run away big spenders Chelsea Man City.
    Hats off to Fergie, you better hope that medical advances can keep him going for another 20 years or so!
    Its unbeliveable how he does it and with the injurys you have as well.
    Fair play to him and the players, he has this annoying knack of making you play as a team and making players that would, to be honest, struggle to get in the first team elsewhere amongst the more exotic players on offer.
    But thats Utds way and it always bloody works!

Where are you now, all you Utd supporters calling for exotic transfers?

Fergie knows best, sob to the rest of us

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

All the people saying Carrick didn't over react to the arm in the face is surreal. You all need to watch some other sports for an extended period.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Pro. F wrote: »
    All the people saying Carrick didn't over react to the arm in the face is surreal. You all need to watch some other sports for an extended period.
    He made more of it than he should have imo but to say he was looking to get Sammon sent off is a bit harsh,he was "buying" his free as they say.

You are a great payer but arrogance like this let's you down tbh.

He rubbed his face, he certainly didn't ''grossly exxagerate'' it as was suggested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

Well well well, the old codger has done it again - dragged a poor looking (on paper) Utd team level on points with early run away big spenders Chelsea Man City.
    Hats off to Fergie, you better hope that medical advances can keep him going for another 20 years or so!
    Its unbeliveable how he does it and with the injurys you have as well.
    Fair play to him and the players, he has this annoying knack of making you play as a team and making players that would, to be honest, struggle to get in the first team elsewhere amongst the more exotic players on offer.
    But thats Utds way and it always bloody works!

I still haven't seen a decline in requests for a decent CM or two.

Yes, Fergie has done great with what he has... but "what he has" could be (and should be) a lot better.

Don't for one second think we're joint top of the league because we're the joint top best team. We're joint top of the league, despite having a weaker team. It's the far superior manager that has United flying high this season. As was said somewhere above.... sorcery seems to be the only explanation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Le King wrote: »
    Weren't there rumours that Ozil might be available?

Now that would be something to genuinely salivate over. Love watching him play. I'd be shocked to see Real let him go tbh.

cambo2008 wrote: »
    He made more of it than he should have imo but to say he was looking to get Sammon sent off is a bit harsh,he was "buying" his free as they say.

I agree. He just made more of it than it really was. I doubt Tommy was saying Carrick was looking to get Salmon sent off. But pretending to be hurt always leaves that chance.

He rubbed his face, he certainly didn't ''grossly exxagerate'' it as was suggested.

I didn't mean it to sound arrogant. It was only meant as a jokey way of saying I disagree strongly. I doubt Carrick's reaction would be seen in any other sports.

How much he over reacted could be debated for a long time, but he was definitely pretending to be hurt. He got a hand/arm in his face and he went away pretending it was worse than it was.

you saying that we have a midfield good enough to compete against the best teams?

and you saying that fergie doesnt make mistakes?

failing to win 4 games against benfica and basle, should answer both questions from my side.

we still need to sign at least one central player. gill knows it, fergie knows it, the fans know it. the money is there and fergie made the decision not to spend it.

book stops with him IMO and as a result, we are playing thursday night football for the spring.

but sure, lets ignore october, november and most of december, 2 5-0 wins and suddenly everything is great again. yes things are better, ive noticed we are playing better since villa away (though they are horrific bad), but City still are the favourites and we play them in 2 weeks time in the cup. that game could go either way and we could, i stress could, lose that game also.

we are in a good position in the league, but FFS i wish people would get a bit of perspective and reality, we still need a huge improvement and we are relying on the brilliance of Nani and Rooney to get us by in the bigger games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Do you realise we are out of the champions league? Or has that fact slipped your mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

The players don't get half the credit they deserve. It is not just purely down to SAF as to why they are doing so well. While he plays a big part, he doesn't somehow mystically jump inside them and play the matches for themon the pitch.

The strength and depth of our squad is what's getting us through. It's probably one of the strongest squads SAF has ever had.

Contrary to what some delusional people believe, a fully fit City squad isn't miles better than ours when fully fit by any stretch. They are much stronger in the CM department and we have a better set of defenders and more natural wingers than City. But then again, they usually play with three CM and attack through the middle while we play with two CM and generally attack from out wide, so City having more strength and depth in CM, while it is an advantage, isn't the huge advantage that a lot will make it out to be.

Don't get me wrong, we could still improve there as it's usually vital to have a strong midfield when playing against quality opposition.

I didn't mean it to sound arrogant. It was only meant as a jokey way of saying I disagree strongly. I doubt Carrick's reaction would be seen in any other sports.

How much he over reacted could be debated for a long time, but he was definitely pretending to be hurt. He got a hand/arm in his face and he went away pretending it was worse than it was.

Do you watch much Rugby? Where faking an injury to get subbed is all but accepted in some circles? (Not all! Before rugby fans destroy me...)

Or basketball, where players dive to the ground if someone's thigh rubs against their arse?

Or field hockey, where you almost aim to have something hit you so you get a penalty, and you make sure the referee knows about it by either screaming in fake-agony or falling over?

I'm sorry, but that's a fairly rubbish point about it not being seen in other sports. Those 3 I mentioned, along with football, are 4 sports probably all in the top 10 most played/watched sports in the world... and they're all guilty of having over-reactions in an attempt to gain an advantage.

Carrick got hit in the face... he made sure people knew he got hit in the face. If he wasn't hit in the face in the first place, he wouldn't have been able to do that. When he pulls a Rivaldo and people defend him, I'll accept the point... but until then, I can't let the "you won't see that accepted in any other sport" argument slide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

carlcon wrote: »
    Do you watch much Rugby? Where faking an injury to get subbed is all but accepted in some circles? (Not all! Before rugby fans destroy me...)

lolwat?

cambo2008 wrote: »

I agree. He just made more of it than it really was. I doubt Tommy was saying Carrick was looking to get Salmon sent off. But pretending to be hurt always leaves that chance.

My bad, appeared to be arrogant, I'm very tired this morning :pac:

I agree he made more of it than what it was, but not grossly exxagerated as was suggests previously, he definitely wasn't trying to get him sent off imo, didn't even appeal I don't think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

I think you're getting mixed up with some teams sending on a doctor, then cutting a player just so they can use a blood sub.

Samich wrote: »
    I think you're getting mixed up with some teams sending on a doctor, then cutting a player just so they can use a blood sub.

Nope. That only happened once to my knowledge, so it'd be pretty weak of me to use that one high profile incident. I'm talking much lower level stuff, like Irish college teams and a bit of Rugby League (which is why I made the point of saying "not all rugby"). But we're getting off-topic now, the point was that "you don't see it in other sports", when you clearly do, was not right. There are plenty of sports where exaggeration is used as a tool to gain an advantage. If you want to exclude rugby, go ahead... I'll find 5 more.

Anyways you can't compare soccer with rugby.

No one is saying Sammon deserved the red. Don't know what people are on about. It was the refs fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Samich wrote: »

nah i've seen cases where a team's prop has been sin-binned, the replacement prop has been brought on so that contested scrums can take place, but then the prop goes down "injured" so that now with no other scrummaging options in the front row, the scrums will be uncontested. So he's not wrong in saying that there may be occasions when players feign / exaggerate injuries to gain an unfair advantage for their team.

I'm not for a minute saying this is the same as the problem of people exaggerating contact in football, but players in all sports do things to gain an unfair advantage at some time or other. While football has really developed a major problem with diving, I don't think carrick was too bad yesterday. He probably realised he wasn't going to get the ball and just wanted to make sure the ref saw the foul and got the free (which was warranted to be fair). You can't blame him for the ref making the completely wrong call subsequently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

what the feck are you smoking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Ah here is this still being discussed?

Carrick was mildly slapped, tapped, pushed, mawled call it what you want he didn't cheat by instantly rubbing his face. he didnt roll around, play act, intentionally fool the ref or go down on his hunkers as if he has in great pain.

Nothing incident/reaction that was refereed badly.

Trilla wrote: »

Carrick was mildly slapped, tapped, pushed, mawled call it what you want he didn't cheat by instantly rubbing his face. he didnt roll around, play act, intentionally fool the ref or go down on his hunkers as if he has in great pain.

finally a post with common sense.

when people think they know **** and tell ya to watch other sports cause they think they know it all, that **** sickens my hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

There going nuts over on the liverpool thread, the poor divil's always build up their hopes only to be dashed by their mediocrity year in year out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

royaler83 wrote: »
    There going nuts over on the liverpool thread, the poor divil's always build up their hopes only to be dashed by their mediocrity year in year out :D

Meh.. they'll have "the banter" again next time united lose or get knocked out of a competition. Couldn't care less about them until they play/challenge United in something.

• Advertisement

'Pool are really just an average team.

Or basketball, where players dive to the ground if someone's thigh rubs against their arse?

Or field hockey, where you almost aim to have something hit you so you get a penalty, and you make sure the referee knows about it by either screaming in fake-agony or falling over?

I'm sorry, but that's a fairly rubbish point about it not being seen in other sports. Those 3 I mentioned, along with football, are 4 sports probably all in the top 10 most played/watched sports in the world... and they're all guilty of having over-reactions in an attempt to gain an advantage.

Carrick got hit in the face... he made sure people knew he got hit in the face. If he wasn't hit in the face in the first place, he wouldn't have been able to do that. When he pulls a Rivaldo and people defend him, I'll accept the point... but until then, I can't let the "you won't see that accepted in any other sport" argument slide.

In rugby yes you do have shenanigans like props going off with fake injuries and people going down with cramp to get the team a rest. But the faking of injuries is nowhere near as bad as football. It's not even close. In football it is many times in every single game and it slows up the game. I pray for football to become sensible like rugby.
    Basketball I haven't watched in years, but unless it's changed since I watched it I would say again it is not even close to football for faking injuries.
    Field hockey I haven't a clue about.

Carrick didn't get hit in the face.

So only doing a Rivaldo is bad then? That's how low your standards are? No wonder you don't see there is a problem in football.

when people think they know **** and tell ya to watch other sports cause they think they know it all, that **** sickens my hole.

Hoover that sand out of your vagina, I said already it was just a jokey way of saying I strongly disagree.

Hoover that sand out of your vagina, I said already it was just a jokey way of saying I strongly disagree.

Ah thanks and happy Christmas to you too!!!

Trilla wrote: »

He intentionally held his face and acted hurt to fool the ref. Just because he didn't roll around crying on the ground like a toddler doesn't mean his reaction was normal. He was trying to con the ref that the contact was more than it was.

It was a nothing incident because things like that happen dozens of times every game. But the sending off and Carrick's comment afterwards was worth commenting on by Tommy. If people had just agreed that Carrick over reacted then the discussion never would have happened. But in football you have people fooling themselves that reactions like Carrick's are normal.

In rugby yes you do have shenanigans like props going off with fake injuries and people going down with cramp to get the team a rest. But the faking of injuries is nowhere near as bad as football. It's not even close. In football it is many times in every single game and it slows up the game. I pray for football to become sensible like rugby.
    Basketball I haven't watched in years, but unless it's changed since I watched it I would say again it is not even close to football for faking injuries.

Carrick didn't get hit in the face.

So only doing a Rivaldo is bad then? That's how low your standards are? No wonder you don't see there is a problem in football.

Basketball may not be as bad for play acting, but the amount of handballs is ridiculous.

Wait hold on... what's your point then? First it was "I doubt Carrick's reaction would be seen in most sports"... and now it's "it happens, but not as often"? Which is it? To me, it just looks like the usual easy dig at a footballer to add to the drama, and then backtracking to try hold some ground.

Carrick was not "faking an injury". He was reacting to being hit in the face. Have you ever been hit unexpectedly, and grabbed yourself as if you were hit by Mike Tyson, even though it didn't hurt you? If not, you're quite unique, because it's a very natural human response.

If it turns out that he was screaming in agony and shouting "he tried to kill me" at the ref, then fair enough let's ban him for as long as possible... but he clearly didn't do that.

Just because I'm saying you're wrong about it not happening in other sports, that in no way suggests that I'm claiming it's not a problem in football. It IS a problem in football... someone holding their face after being hit isn't the problem though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

My god, the trolling going on here is ridiculous and ye are worse for feeding them!

If you want to talk about diving, you'll find a liverpool thread on here too ;)

Its a good result and its great to be level with level city but it still doesn't soften the blow of being out of the champions league. I would love to see Di Rossi from Roma come over in Jan but I don't think Fergie will sign anyone

My god, the trolling going on here is ridiculous and ye are worse for feeding them!

This part^^

followed by the part below is ironic.
    If you want to talk about diving, you'll find a liverpool thread on here too ;)

Also, neither of them are trolls imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

When you can't have a go at Carrick for playing crap, call him a cheat. ;)

Disclaimer: The above is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

followed by the part below is ironic.

Exactly.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement