Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky's install policy

• 27-11-2005 1:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭

I'm going to be putting in order with sky for sky+ multiroom. I know from other threads that sky won't offer the €37.50 non phone connection deal to people looking for multiroom. Here's my situation, I have a a phone socket in my hall and I will want sky in my living room (just across from the hall) and the second box in an upstairs bedroom. Will sky run the the neccessary phone extension cabless from the hall to the living room and upstairs, or do I have to buy extension cable and have it all setup before sky come. If they do the work, does anyone have any experience as to the quality of the work done.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

I'm going to be putting in order with sky for sky+ multiroom. I know from other threads that sky won't offer the €37.50 non phone connection deal to people looking for multiroom. Here's my situation, I have a a phone socket in my hall and I will want sky in my living room (just across from the hall) and the second box in an upstairs bedroom. Will sky run the the neccessary phone extension cabless from the hall to the living room and upstairs, or do I have to buy extension cable and have it all setup before sky come. If they do the work, does anyone have any experience as to the quality of the work done.

Sky did it for me 3 years ago and several of my friends since and the quality of the phone line installation has always been dire. In one case the guys just left it trailing up a friends stairs. didnt even tack it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The phone connection is to detect fraud on the multiroom pack. If you want multi boxes and no phone line you pay full price sub for each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

watty wrote:
    The phone connection is to detect fraud on the multiroom pack. If you want multi boxes and no phone line you pay full price sub for each.

Yeah I knew that, im just looking for a bit of info on what sky usually do when it comes to connecting the boxes around the house to the phone socket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Yeah I knew that, im just looking for a bit of info on what sky usually do when it comes to connecting the boxes around the house to the phone socket.

They usually tack it as quickly as possible and you may also be asked to pay extra by the installer.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Your best bet would be to just do the cabling yourself. At least that way, the wires will be where you want them to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

hmm...i'm also getting multiroom and am a bit concerned with cabling etc. how does the satellite cable get split between the two boxes?

byte

speedfreak wrote:
    hmm...i'm also getting multiroom and am a bit concerned with cabling etc. how does the satellite cable get split between the two boxes?
    The LNB (the thing on the end of the dish arm that the coaxial cable goes into) will be replaced with a 4-output LNB. then each box will be wired directly to the satellite dish.

If you've Sky+, it needs 2 cables wired from it to the dish.

HTH

yeah helps a bit but if the dish is on one side of the house and box two is on the other side how does the coaxial get to the 2nd box? i have this vision of coaxial being thread around the front of the house or something...

byte

Well, I guess you will know better than I, as you know your house!

If that's the only route to the room, then that's the route that will probably have to be taken - maybe across the soffit, and down the side/back of a gutter downpipe?

Unless you've a bungalow, and attic access is easy. Then maybe cable could be put through the attic, and down a conduit (if it fits), or down the inside wall or something.

Though, if it's Sky themselves that's coming out, they won't go near your attic as they're not insured to do so AFAIK.

cheers byte, it is a Sky install thats why i'm so concerned! think i'll cancel the multi..

• Advertisement
    byte

Ah, you're too easily deterred! :)

Maybe you could try running the cable yourself, in a way that suits you? Or maybe you can get them to use white cable if it makes the run more camouflaged?

nah i've enuff to be doin! we really dont need it anyhow. was just gonna use it as a fta box after 12 mths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

With multi room do the two boxes need to be permanetly fixed to a phone line. As it is my line is split 3 ways (4 if you include BB) and now two sky boxes would mean a 5 way split, not to mention all the extra cables running around the wall.

Advertisement