Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Digital problem

• 27-11-2005 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Earlier today there was a loud bang from my sky digibox and a message came up on the screen saying no satellite signal was being received has anyone ever had this problem or know why it might happen? have to wait until wednesday for an engineer to come look at it so we've no tv channels at all until then which is crap. beginning to wish we didnt get sky in the first place :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

emee wrote:
    Earlier today there was a loud bang from my sky digibox and a message came up on the screen saying no satellite signal was being received has anyone ever had this problem or know why it might happen? have to wait until wednesday for an engineer to come look at it so we've no tv channels at all until then which is crap. beginning to wish we didnt get sky in the first place :mad:

Sounds like power supply is blown

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

emee wrote:
    no terrestrial reception?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Tony wrote:
    Sounds like power supply is blown

Hardly if he's getting "no satellite signal is being received", the box is still powered.

Tuner? I've never heard of a bang coming from the box, it has to be it.

DMC wrote:
    Hardly if he's getting "no satellite signal is being received", the box is still powered.
    The LNB supply could be blown and the box could still be powered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭NollaigDE1

DMC wrote:

Tuner? I've never heard of a bang coming from the box, it has to be it.

Actually I'd agree that it more than likely is a part of the power supply, one of the caps has blown, it would still be powered as a sat box will have a power supply giving out a number of different voltages to supply different parts of the system
    + 5
    +12
    +18 etc,

The main cause is heat, I always fit a fan in mine,

if you open the box you can usually see whats causing the problem , usually a capacitor will be burn't out and will need replacing.

**** obviously I don't advise anyone not electrically minded to open a sat box,

good pic of a faulty capacitor, note the bulge on top, this should be flat.
    Bad.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yup, I also agree that part of the PS has blown. If it's a Sky installer (as opposed to an independent one) that's coming to fix it, they'll usually just replace the box.

Is the box under 12 months?

On an aside, my old trusty Panasonic (DSB40 I think) is acting up. It's having issues with what seem to primarily be more obscure channels, like ChartShow TV, Rapture, etc. Breakup occurs, and even worse if the images is mostly white! Sat signals are perfect, so it's either my box playing up, or an issue with the LNB (though I doubt it). So, anyone got any good links to Panny repair kits, as in the past, Panasonic parts were usually hard to come by, or restrictively expensive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

byte wrote:
    So, anyone got any good links to Panny repair kits, as in the past, Panasonic parts were usually hard to come by, or restrictively expensive.

Digi Repairs in Enniskillen 00442866327293 sorted my DSB40 , replacement tuner about €50 incl delivery, from stock IIRC, and very easy to talk to tech guy there (Martin ??)

Great post Nollaig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

NollaigDE1 wrote:
    Actually I'd agree that it more than likely is a part of the power supply, one of the caps has blown, it would still be powered as a sat box will have a power supply giving out a number of different voltages to supply different parts of the system

Ah yes, capacitors can go bang in the night, indeed, good post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭emee

ya i'd say your probably right about the capacitor blowing we've only had it a few weeks tho so its a bit **** that summit like that would happen so soon... they had to use the cable from the terrestrial aerial as the new sky cable so we don't have any connection to the terrestrial aerial now. the people on the customer care line are so unhelpful too had to stay on hold for around half an hour even tho they said they'd get to me in less than 15 minutes and by that stage i wasnt gonna hang up and try again. i won't be recommending them to anyone anyways

• Advertisement

emee wrote:
    ya i'd say your probably right about the capacitor blowing we've only had it a few weeks tho so its a bit **** that summit like that would happen so soon... they had to use the cable from the terrestrial aerial as the new sky cable so we don't have any connection to the terrestrial aerial now. the people on the customer care line are so unhelpful too had to stay on hold for around half an hour even tho they said they'd get to me in less than 15 minutes and by that stage i wasnt gonna hang up and try again. i won't be recommending them to anyone anyways

pull out the aeial in and rf out and connect them together to get back your terrestrial. If your tv has a scart socket this should have been used.

Advertisement