Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky By Broadband

• 28-11-2005 12:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭

seriously people, this sounds good and its from BSKYB, none of that crap free thing
    You do have to be a sports or movies subscriber though
    Sky by broadband

Sky by broadband is a new service exclusive to Sky digital customers.

It allows you to enjoy hundreds of films on your PC, including a mix of Hollywood blockbusters and classic movie titles available on Sky Movies. In addition, there are over 1000 sporting highlights to choose from, covering many of the major sporting events on Sky Sports. And with Sky by broadband you can choose what to watch and when to watch it.

If you're a Sky digital TV customer with Sky Movies 1 & 2 you can enjoy Sky Movies on Sky by broadband at no extra cost, and if you subscribe to Sky Sports 1 & 2 you can catch Sky Sports on Sky by broadband at no extra cost.

To start enjoying these great new services you'll need to download Sky by broadband to your PC. You'll also need to have a PC with Windows XP, and we recommend a broadband connection of at least 1MB. Check that your PC meets the minimum requirements, then sign up and follow the on screen instructions.

Try out this demo and see how it works.

The service is expected to launch fully in the next couple of weeks.

http://www.sky.com/skybybroadband/

funny enough i did hear a romour a while back that some day soon sky will allow you to select which movie youd like on demand and it would be sent via satellite to a hidden VOD section of a new sky plus.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Very Good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

a crap just found out the ***** in sky have limited this to UK isps, but hopfully it will be available to us irish soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

If you have access to Magnet BB, they have signed a deal with Sky for tv over BB. Sky by Wire.
    http://www.magnet.ie/news/24-10-05.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Video quality on 1mbit BB is poor. Worse than VHS. I'll stick to Satellite thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Broadband here wont sustain that just yet, and I prefer direct satellite myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

OK, I just went to that site and you don't have to watch it via streaming. It also downloads to your computer where you can watch the filem / sports clip for up to 30 days.

Cool if you're away from the TV set and want to pass a few mins / hours.
    Pity it doesn't look like it's for Ireland yet. I've signed up anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

why are Sky blocking it from Irish ip's? i pay the same as a UK customer

doesnt this service allow you to download match highlights etc. etc.

well id be interested in it, because im on 6mb bb
    the idea of downloading a film or match, i missed sounds really good.

now let the piracy start, when you think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Mossy Monk wrote:
    why are Sky blocking it from Irish ip's? i pay the same as a UK customer

doesnt this service allow you to download match highlights etc. etc.

Dunno, When I signed up, I was only asked for my name, email, postcode and house number. Never asked me for my Sky specific details like card number.

After, it said someone would get back to me soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

IrishTLR wrote:
    Dunno, When I signed up, I was only asked for my name, email, postcode and house number. Never asked me for my Sky specific details like card number.

After, it said someone would get back to me soon.
    exact same for me

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Magnet are the only ones doing this kind of service here (Smart have tested it)

You get your ADSL set top thingy for the home but it also has a SCART or CO AX connector as well as the computery things.

The TV is sent along with ( not WITHIN) the ADSL signal , the set top has its own remote. When you change channels on the set top thingy the channel sent down the wire changes from the exchange out to you .

Owing to myriad difficulties caused almost entirely by Eircom it would appear that SKY will not buy an Irish ISP at this point because of these difficulties . Eircom themselves could offer this kind of service and may indeed be trying it out already in conditions of considerable secrecy.

The same issues (local Loop Unbundling or LLU) have largely been resolved in the UK which explains why SKY weighed in and bought an LLU ISP .

maybe its showing up a different screen, as per ip location, because i was expecting account numbers and viewing card number to be at hand

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Magnet are the only ones doing this kind of service here (Smart have tested it)

You get your ADSL set top thingy for the home but it also has a SCART or CO AX connector as well as the computery things.

The TV is sent along with ( not WITHIN) the ADSL signal , the set top has its own remote. When you change channels on the set top thingy the channel sent down the wire changes from the exchange out to you .

Owing to myriad difficulties caused almost entirely by Eircom it would appear that SKY will not buy an Irish ISP at this point because of these difficulties . Eircom themselves could offer this kind of service and may indeed be trying it out already in conditions of considerable secrecy.

The same issues (local Loop Unbundling or LLU) have largely been resolved in the UK which explains why SKY weighed in and bought an LLU ISP .

but what sky say they are offering now, is to your pc, i know metro are to bring out a simular system as you outlined above, but they are wireless so more options are available to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sparky_S wrote:
    but what sky say they are offering now, is to your pc, i know metro are to bring out a simular system as you outlined above, but they are wireless so more options are available to them.

OK so. I dont want to get too technical about Telco stuff but agree with other posters that 1Mbit TV streams are sh1te, 2Mbits is the min and 4 Mbits is desirable.

If you want to offer this in the IP / DSL stream you really should peer directly with the ISPs and pay for the routers :D

Advertisement