Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Athlone West

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Yeah, sure destination branding is a joke, look at the Gold Coast, Wild Atlantic Way, Garden Route, Great Western Greenway, Ring of Kerry, Wine Route, Wicklow Way… they never caught on.

It's the Left Bank except it is the right bank.

“When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’
    ’The question is,’ said Alice, ‘whether you can make words mean so many different things.’
    ’The question is,’ said Humpty Dumpty, ‘which is to be master — that’s all.”Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The left bank of any river is on the left hand side as you travel downriver. (with the flow)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

John_Rambo wrote: »
    The left bank of any river is on the left hand side as you travel downriver. (with the flow)

Well that'd make it on the right hand side surely as the river flows south. Not that I've any objection to the name, I always thought it was called that beause it's on the left bank as you approach it coming over the bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Mearings wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it was named the Left Bank by one of the many people who can't tell their left from their right :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Yeah, I get this. I guess it's one of Athlone's quirky idiosyncrasies.

“When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’
    ’The question is,’ said Alice, ‘whether you can make words mean so many different things.’
    ’The question is,’ said Humpty Dumpty, ‘which is to be master — that’s all.”Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass

Not sure I get the relevance of the Lewis Carroll quote. In bold?
    Rereading the attachment on post #44, would it not be wonderful if No 1 Battery were tidied up & an archaeological dig to take place? This could be done in conjunction with the restoration of the canal which appears to have started.

This however makes sense. A proper decent proposal and a good idea. You should get to it and see if you can head up a team to carry out the work. I volunteered on a similar project in Dublin. Very rewarding and good social fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

ok

I herby volunteer...................next !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Lt J.R. Bell

Long Gone wrote: »
    Lack of parking is a big part of the problem - They need to open out somewhere so that people can park and start developing the area properly - And no more of that pathetic "Left Bank" b***oxiligy.

Even the residents and their guests at the flats on Pearse Street, who despite actually having parking passes, get clamped by the Independent Groups, around the small car parks around the flats.

The Left Bank might be nonsense (I don't really think so, there is charm to the area around the castle), but at least there is some colour and life in what is a horrible looking area. Sad, West Side use to be were all the action happened. Most of the South Roscommon Brigade would cycle in to Athlone to shop there back in the day.

Sure, Irishtown has turned into a ghost area too

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    garda station, post office, tax office, barracks, church, castle on the west bank

whats on the other side?

The commercial side of the town, and bar the Town Centre and Golden Island, nothing. (Well, it's a lot for the size of the town)

The best pubs and restaurants start from the Bridge area to down as far as the Shamrock Lodge. Oh, and you forgot the Dean Crowe Hall (hey, the All Ireland Drama Festival goes there, that's culture right? As is the Castle and Art Gallery)

Would like to see something go into the building that was once the Palace. What though?

Shopping centres, banks, flat land, car parks and an oddity of a rugby team that claims to be in connaught.

Bucks are fierce weird. The only exception within a five mile radius of the bridge. Most on Ros side claim address as westmeath. Even brideswell it seems. But I digress

Buccaneers were originally Ballinasloe/Athlone. Played games in Ballinasloe when the good teams came over, Moher Park was smaller.

Most on Roscommon side.....? Who is calling Brideswell part of Westmeath? Blown ins? Monksland and onwards is clearly in Roscommon and always have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

Buccaneers were originally Ballinasloe/Athlone. Played games in Ballinasloe when the good teams came over, Moher Park was smaller.

Most on Roscommon side.....? Who is calling Brideswell part of Westmeath? Blown ins? Monksland and onwards is clearly in Roscommon and always have been.
    Athlone RFC played in Connacht long before they merged with Ballinasloe and before they became Buccaneers. They always played in connacht.

There was a time however I believe that there was a club based in Athlone who played in Leinster but that was before WWII.

athlonelad wrote: »
    Athlone RFC played in Connacht long before they merged with Ballinasloe and before they became Buccaneers. They always played in connacht.

There was a time however I believe that there was a club based in Athlone who played in Leinster but that was before WWII.

Why do they play in Connacht? I know the school teams (rugby) as far as Ferbane do as well.

In soccer, the Marist College play in the Connacht League, while their footballers play in Leinster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Why do they play in Connacht?

Why on earth not ? We're sat right straddling the border of Connaught and Leinster and there is no reason why playing in an obvious choice over playing in the other. I've always thought that the real "heart" of Athlone is on the Connuaght side (The Far Side), although I've real affection for the Leinster side as well.

Long Gone wrote: »
    Why on earth not ? We're sat right straddling the border of Connaught and Leinster and there is no reason why playing in an obvious choice over playing in the other. I've always thought that the real "heart" of Athlone is on the Connuaght side (The Far Side), although I've real affection for the Leinster side as well.

Hey, I have no objection, my allegiance is the Roscommon Side of town (God's Country)

Yes, in the past, or even before mid 1990, the West Side was the heart of the town. DH Burkes, Fish fond and fancy drinking cooler at BOI Pearse St, all the main butchers, Pockets!,

Still, I would like to know why it is the case? Was it more for the development of Rugby in the Connacht Region? Why do the Marist play Connacht Soccer when it's a Westmeath School for other sports?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Hey, I have no objection, my allegiance is the Roscommon Side of town (God's Country)

Yes, in the past, or even before mid 1990, the West Side was the heart of the town. DH Burkes, Fish fond and fancy drinking cooler at BOI Pearse St, all the main butchers, Pockets!,

Still, I would like to know why it is the case? Was it more for the development of Rugby in the Connacht Region? Why do the Marist play Connacht Soccer when it's a Westmeath School for other sports?

Jaysus, they bring back memories. Connaught used to be quite a busy little street. The only reason the mother would head across town was to Lennons Fruit and Veg or the old Dunnes when it was the only decent supermarket in town.

Advertisement