Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CNC machinate average wage.

Options
  • 07-02-2015 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any idea of what a CNC lathe setter would be making in today's industry money wise?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I know an experienced toolmaker. He spends much of his time on a CNC.
    Last year he told me that he earned less than €16/hr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

2011 wrote: »
    I know an experienced toolmaker. He spends much of his time on a CNC.
    Last year he told me that he earned less than €16/hr.

Ya sounds right. Very poorly payed. Any idea what level you need to get to get a higher wage.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Ya sounds right. Very poorly payed. Any idea what level you need to get to get a higher wage.

That is the higher wage in his case. He has been working at nothing else since he qualified in the early 90's and is now a supervisor.

That is the higher wage in his case. He has been working at nothing else since he qualified in the early 90's and is now a supervisor.

Poor wage for qualified man. I was on 16/17e an hour as an unqualified general operator. In CNC line of work at the moment, not sure if I'll move on.

Poor wage for qualified man.

Yes, shocking IMHO.

Apparently wages are driven down because much of this work is being done in China for far less.

• Advertisement

Yes, shocking IMHO.

Apparently wages are driven down because much of this work is being done in China for far less.

I'm doing mechical engineering in collage by evening class and I'm constantly being told that it's the growth industry and there is a skills shortage, hence the start up of percision engineering day time courses. Hopefully wages will improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

IMO there's a serious gap in the industry for design-for-manufacturing engineers / technicians. Very, very few machine shops provide design rules for their equipment or verification of their tolerance capability, which is pretty much essential for real precision work. The result is that designers end up throwing the design over the wall to the shop, without really knowing how difficult and expensive it might be to make.

Anyone who can bridge that gap will be on a lot more than €16/hr.

Absolutely.

However the person bridging that gap will not be working as a toolmaker or CNC lathe setter (which is what the OP asked about) because that is not what they do.

IMO there's a serious gap in the industry for design-for-manufacturing engineers / technicians. Very, very few machine shops provide design rules for their equipment or verification of their tolerance capability, which is pretty much essential for real precision work. The result is that designers end up throwing the design over the wall to the shop, without really knowing how difficult and expensive it might be to make.

Are you basically talking about accurate quoting of jobs?
    I noticed recently where I am that a job was abandoned after 3 days, couldn't get it working. Broke some tools in process before the plug was pulled. Shift leader said it would'nt work but production manager insisted we try.

Absolutely.

However the person bridging that gap will not be working as a toolmaker or CNC lathe setter (which is what the OP asked about) because that is not what they do.

I think it's relevant in the context of someone entering the manufacturing industry, looking at pay levels and with an interest in mech eng. IMO wage levels will decrease further (or stay stagnant) for toolmakers as the work can be outsourced, but a DFM function is much more valuable.

In short, upskill as much as you can to differentiate yourself.

• Advertisement

Are you basically talking about accurate quoting of jobs?
    I noticed recently where I am that a job was abandoned after 3 days, couldn't get it working. Broke some tools in process before the plug was pulled. Shift leader said it would'nt work but production manager insisted we try.

Pretty much - can you do the job, how much and when can you deliver.

Say I'm the customer for that abandoned job. My delivery slot won't now be met, which forces me to get a new supplier and maybe miss my deadline. I'm unlikely to use the original supplier again, because you've just demonstrated that you don't know your own capabilities. Had you declined the job upfront, or said that you needed to test it, I'd have a lot more confidence in using you for other jobs.

Advertisement