Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any recommendations to find out more about Engineering?

Options
  • 03-02-2015 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

As someone who's stuck between Physics and Engineering as a possible choice to study in the future, I have to say I'm attracted by the fact that jobs are clear in Engineering in contrast to Theoretical Physics. I really find Theoretical Physics interesting but I know it's not easy to get jobs in. I don't know if Engineering particularly interests me, I really didn't like Junior Certificate Technology (the teacher was boring). Are there any books or blogs anyone here would recommend giving a read to get a decent idea of what Engineering entails at the undergraduate level?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

You're kind of asking how long is a piece of string here as engineering can be

-civil or structural which would be involved in the built environment (buildings, bridges etc)
    -software or computer (which would be programming and so on)
    -electrical or electronic
    -mechanical, aeronautical and biomedical (massive variation in what these guys can do)

Each of the above points are all engineers but they wouldn't be able to do what the others can do.

This thread might give you an idea of what a few people who post on here do each day
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91724022

On the differences of Civil v Aero
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057084029

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

As said above, "engineering" refers to a massive field.

Perhaps narrowing down on what interests you might help. Or what aspects of theoretical physics do you enjoy as some of those may be relevant in different engineering disciplines. The people here should be able to point you towards aspects of engineering which may appeal to you.

If you have any specific questions regarding electronics, what you'd end up studying or different fields this could lead you towards drop me a PM.

Advertisement