Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installation issues.

Options
  • 18-02-2015 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

Hi Im hoping some one can help me as im havig trouble installing Ubuntu on a PC I really wasnt using so I figured seen as its just sitting there id put Ubuntu on it and use it.

This is the PC;

Dell Dimension 4550. Its running XP, I have updated the BIOS to the latest version for that machine (A08) I uppgraded it with a gig Ram.

Im trying to boot from a USB stick which was created by Pendrive Linux installer. The issue im having is that when i try to launch the installer form the Ubuntu installtion menu it gets stuck on a blue screen and wont do nothing. Its driving me nuts as i really want to use Linux on that machine.

I would love any help or suggestions as im interested in getting to know Linux and if I get it going and I like it ill put it on the rest of the machines in the house.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Try creating the usb with another writer, such as UnetBootin
    Also when you downloaded the image file did you compare the checksum (MD5 or SHA1) listed on the download page to verify the image is not corrupted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

excollier wrote: »
    Try creating the usb with another writer, such as UnetBootin
    Also when you downloaded the image file did you compare the checksum (MD5 or SHA1) listed on the download page to verify the image is not corrupted?

No i didnt check to see if it was corrupt Ill do that so. I was presuming all was good as it was dowloaded directly from the Ubuntu page. Ill also try the other writer. Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

The best bootable USB creator out there at the moment is Rufus, maintained by a guy from Donegal I believe. Try burning the ISO to a USB using Rufus.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

The best bootable USB creator is dd.

syklops wrote: »
    The best bootable USB creator is dd.

From Linux, yes it is. I assume the OP is using Windows XP.

• Advertisement

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    The best bootable USB creator out there at the moment is Rufus, maintained by a guy from Donegal I believe. Try burning the ISO to a USB using Rufus.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

I tried Rufus and now im in the middle of installing Ubuntu. :) I had to set the nomodeset option to off in order to get passed the installation hang. And your correct i was installing from XP. Hopefully it will install with no issues and ill be using Ubuntu from now on with that PC.

obezyana wrote: »
    I tried Rufus and now im in the middle of installing Ubuntu. :) I had to set the nomodeset option to off in order to get passed the installation hang. And your correct i was installing from XP. Hopefully it will install with no issues and ill be using Ubuntu from now on with that PC.

Great :) If you find the regular Ubuntu a bit sluggish, there's some variants with different desktop environments that might run a bit better on old hardware, such as Xubuntu or Lubuntu. Good luck with your new old PC :cool:

Great :) If you find the regular Ubuntu a bit sluggish, there's some variants with different desktop environments that might run a bit better on old hardware, such as Xubuntu or Lubuntu. Good luck with your new old PC :cool:

Thank you, Ill spend some time getting to know it, I have used it before but only for a short time so I figured why not install it on the old machine and give it a go, if I like it ill be putting it on the other PC for everyone else to get used to :D

Just an update on this, I had to use Lunbuntu instead as PropJoe10 suggested as the PC was sluggish, Im running Lubuntu now with no issues.

Just an update on this, I had to use Lunbuntu instead as PropJoe10 suggested as the PC was sluggish, Im running Lubuntu now with no issues.

Great. Lubuntu is a great distro for lower powered machines. Runs nicely on 1GB RAM, which I've found that the regular Ubuntu does not. Glad to hear you're getting on well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Nice op, good job for sticking with it :)

Stuxnet wrote: »
    Nice op, good job for sticking with it :)

Cheers thanks so far so good :)
    Great. Lubuntu is a great distro for lower powered machines. Runs nicely on 1GB RAM, which I've found that the regular Ubuntu does not. Glad to hear you're getting on well!

Yeah there is no issue so far with Lubuntu, I was thinking of upgrading the graphics card to see if that helps with Ubuntu being sluggish, ie; slow closing of folders, slow minimising of dialog boxes etc... It is the original graphics card which id say isn't up to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I'd try to find out what's the bottleneck (CPU/memory/graphics or slow HDD) first. There are a few commands that might help, like "top" or "free -h". From your rdescription it's low memory or/and slow disk (swap file in use?).

Cheers thanks so far so good :)

Yeah there is no issue so far with Lubuntu, I was thinking of upgrading the graphics card to see if that helps with Ubuntu being sluggish, ie; slow closing of folders, slow minimising of dialog boxes etc... It is the original graphics card which id say isn't up to much.

The regular Ubuntu Unity desktop is quite heavy on fancy graphical effects these days, so an upgrade of card might help a bit, but I'd say 1GB RAM for the regular Ubuntu is a bit on the low side too. For a machine of that age, I would stick with either the LXDE or XFCE desktop environments. Check out Xubuntu, which is Ubuntu with the XFCE desktop. Really like that environment, its a bit more fancy than the Lubuntu desktop but still very light on RAM.

PrzemoF wrote: »
    I'd try to find out what's the bottleneck (CPU/memory/graphics or slow HDD) first. There are a few commands that might help, like "top" or "free -h". From your rdescription it's low memory or/and slow disk (swap file in use?).

Yeah good point maybe i should look into a bit more first :D. For the moment im happy with Lubuntu, in the next few weeks ill get to know it more and look deeper into figuring out the best option.

Advertisement