Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I install Windows on a Linux PC?

Options
  • 29-05-2011 1:36pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I have Ubuntu Linux installed on my computer, however, I can't install Microsoft Office or even most other software. I installed it months ago, I was happy as it is way faster, but now I really want to move back to Windows!:rolleyes:
    I have the "Windows Vista Operating System 'Already Installed on your computer'" cd, I put it in and boot with it in it and no joy!

It just goes normally turn on into logon screen, if I setup boot by cdrom, it goes black with Boot by CD rom: (BLANK) :(.

What can I do to go back to Windows!

Thanks in advance lads!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

how did you think you'd be able install Microsoft office ??
    your on linux ??

you should have openoffice or libreoffice installed by default ? what software cant you install ? are you trying to install windows .exe files ?? this wont work, its linux not windows, the majority of software you need is in the software centre, find & click install ....

have you tried F12 to pick boot cd/dvd option at the start of boot process ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

iPwnage wrote: »
    how did you think you'd be able install Microsoft office ??
    your on linux ??

you should have openoffice or libreoffice installed by default ? what software cant you install ? are you trying to install windows .exe files ?? this wont work, its linux not windows, the majority of software you need is in the software centre, find & click install ....

have you tried F12 to pick boot cd/dvd option at the start of boot process ?

I never thought Microsoft Office would work with Windows. My printer also doesn't work with Linux. I knew this before I installed it. I know you can't install .exe binary files in Linux. What I have done is and hasn't worked:
    Put my operating system cd into the cdrom drive of the CPU,
    Turned it off,
    Booted it as in F12: 1. CD,2. Random,3. Harddrive and 4. other.
    I also swapped Random to 1 and cd to 2, and I have tried the default boot settings.

Is there anything else I can do?

I use openoffice instead of microsoft office but I can't install Eset or the printer,
    I installed linux because the computer got very slow with software, so I plan is to put extra ram on it.

Thanks for your help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭BOZG

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    I never thought Microsoft Office would work with Windows. My printer also doesn't work with Linux. I knew this before I installed it. I know you can't install .exe binary files in Linux. What I have done is and hasn't worked:
    Turned it off,
    I also swapped Random to 1 and cd to 2, and I have tried the default boot settings.

I use openoffice instead of microsoft office but I can't install Eset or the printer,
    I installed linux because the computer got very slow with software, so I plan is to put extra ram on it.

Thanks for your help!

It's a shame that you want to get of Linux but hopefully you'll come back! Have you tried asking around for help installing the printer? Unfortunately, they don't always work out of the box but for the vast majority, there's some way of installing them.

In relation to eset, Linux isn't impervious to viruses but it is by default far more secure against them. Have you tried an alternative anti-virus programme? Not being able to use eset shouldn't be a reason to stop using Linux.

But if we can't convince you, it is possible to install Windows from a USB key, if there's an option to boot from USB in your boot menu. There's two guides here and here.

BOZG wrote: »
    It's a shame that you want to get of Linux but hopefully you'll come back! Have you tried asking around for help installing the printer? Unfortunately, they don't always work out of the box but for the vast majority, there's some way of installing them.

In relation to eset, Linux isn't impervious to viruses but it is by default far more secure against them. Have you tried an alternative anti-virus programme? Not being able to use eset shouldn't be a reason to stop using Linux.

But if we can't convince you, it is possible to install Windows from a USB key, if there's an option to boot from USB in your boot menu. There's two guides here and here.

Hmm.. I actually love the new ubuntu a lot better then Vista so I think you have me nearly convinced!
    I notice a lot there's terminal used to install things, I would much prefer to use the normal windows way or the ubuntu software centre.

Anyways, eset and the printer are really my main concern. The printer is a Samsung SCX series and as far as I can find there isn't an easy way to install it on ubuntu :(.

Any suggestions much appreciated? Thanks lads for yer help!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

What is "eset"? Do you mean the ESET anti-virus software? If so, and you are trying to install the Linux version (not the Windows version!), what's happening? Any error messages? Have you asked ESET?

About the printer: I can see various Samsung SCX printers in the list of drivers on my system. What happens when you plug it in and turn it on? Tell us what is happening, not what's not happening, if you want the best advice. ;)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement

bnt wrote: »
    What is "eset"? Do you mean the ESET anti-virus software? If so, and you are trying to install the Linux version (not the Windows version!), what's happening? Any error messages? Have you asked ESET?

About the printer: I can see various Samsung SCX printers in the list of drivers on my system. What happens when you plug it in and turn it on? Tell us what is happening, not what's not happening, if you want the best advice. ;)

Yes, ESET is an antispyware/antivirus program. Its just that I use eset on every other computer that I know it works and its safe. I've tried AVG and Norton with windows and their not great (I won't go into it).

I will find out the model of the printer and come back to ye. The cd that came with it is a .exe installation cd and its not plug and play!

Thanks for yer help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    Yes, ESET is an antispyware/antivirus program. Its just that I use eset on every other computer that I know it works and its safe. I've tried AVG and Norton with windows and their not great (I won't go into it).

I will find out the model of the printer and come back to ye. The cd that came with it is a .exe installation cd and its not plug and play!

Thanks for yer help!
    My impression is that you're trying to use linux with windows habits (cd with .exe, antivirus, ms office). Forget about windows - we can help you get your printer up and running (what model?), there is no need for antivirus and libreoffice is as good as ms office (actually is better)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

its called MTB$ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

It's all very well saying "you don't need an antivirus program", but maybe the OP does.
    It's very possible to receive an infected file, work on it, save it and pass it on as infected to a windows user who rightly blames you when their OS launches the virus.
    The normal windows antivirus programs are trying to protect the system and memory from viral attacks, so they're not as simply tuned to detecting viruses in files as they might be.

Use your package manager to search for Anti Virus - It's not a good idea to go looking online for Eset because you've heard of it and used it in a different situation. It won't fit here.

Clam AV is very helpful at making sure files are clean before being passed on.
    The infection database is regularly updated, and it's quick.
    The nautilus clamscan extension also adds right click "Check this file/directory for viruses" functionality to a gnome desktop.

As for libreoffice, it's a good substitute for MS Office, but discussion as to whether it's better or not is irrelevant in the real world.
    It either delivers and opens files as they are expected to look or it doesn't.

The fact that MS Office 2007 won't open Office 2003 files without changes, let alone Word files from Office 97 or Word 6.0 is one thing.
    The fact that the same version of Word on one machine won't open and look the same on another machine is daft.
    It's down to printer based margins and font substitutions, and it keeps people on the upgrade path.
    Most people won't look at that and just see a document that was 10 pages in Word being 12 pages in Libreoffice and decide that Libre/Open Office is 'broken'.

Are you running a recent version of Ubuntu?
    As suggested, post up your exact printer model, and in the meantime, take a look
    at the database on openprinting.org to get an idea of how it might be supported.

You can always use a terminal to do things even when there is a GUI way to do it,
    so don't be discouraged or feel out of your depth by people suggesting opening a terminal.

When you're looking for help somewhere like this, it's nearly always easier for the person helping you to put a few commands together and say "paste this into a terminal" rather than say click on the fifth menu item after the green screen near the picture of he octopus... etc... etc...

Good luck!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I've not used it but corssover might be one option €'s a no gurantee it will do what you want with your version of offie

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?sort[app_name]=ASC;curPos=50

To install windows you need to free up some space on the drive, then install windows and then repair grub because windows doesn't share

synopsis - check for a more datailed guide online because any mistake will render your system unbootable till you fix the problem or give up and start all over

to free up space use a live CD to shrink your partition, I was going to say not to move it but since you'll have to reinstall grub anyway ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 schubi

...depending on a recovery partition on your hard disk which you may have wiped clean back in the day when you installed Linux. I think it is a borderline crime that manufacturers who sell Windows with their hardware don't include a full OS CD/DVD. But that's a different story ;o)

I agree with the other posters here, it'll probably be easier for you to get your Linux sorted out rather than trying to put Vista back onto a machine that (from the sound of it) couldn't stomach it in the first place.

Feel free to PM me if you need 1:1 help.

If Windows is your path to happiness and you don't get anywhere with your OEM recovery CD, I recommend eBay, where you can fetch a Win XP OEM CD with licence key for under 40 EUR.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

schubi wrote: »
    If Windows is your path to happiness and you don't get anywhere with your OEM recovery CD, I recommend ...
    You can't recomend that. :mad:

OEM License is non-transferrable, the only legal way is to buy and use it with the motherboard it was originally supplied with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

ReactOS? Granted, it's barely functional and has been in Alpha status for over a decade. Might be one for those that can wait:p

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spannerotoole

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned wine.
    It works for MSOffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭KAGY

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned wine.
    It works for MSOffice.

Or Virtual Box. It allows you to run an operating system inside another one, on a "virtual" machine. the OP may have difficulties installing it with his CD though, but it's worth a try. I use it when there is a windows program that i need that doesn't run with WINE.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭sbkenn

Mr. G wrote: »
    Turned it off,

Thanks for your help!
    What printer do you have ? Have you thought about using virtualbox ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

This thread is nearly 4 years old.
    Probably sorted at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭sbkenn

Damn, I am always doing that. Maybe I prefer to live in the past ... when enda kenny was still working at what he was good at (assuming that he WAS a good teacher), and before RPT and I.W.

Advertisement