Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coal / solid state fuel bargains

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭icjzfmq7ewon1t

As said already the carbon tax is been introduced at ten euro per tonne. It comes in on May 1st 2013 and will add 12.5 cents to a bale of briquettes and 40 cent to a 40 kg bag of coal. It will be raised to twenty euro per tonne on May 1st 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

A coal merchant from Crumlin on the radio (J Duffy show) said earlier that the budget would €2.50 to a bag of coal, and 50c to a bale of briquettes. He was quizzed on his figures but was adamant he was right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

jay0109 wrote: »
    A coal merchant from Crumlin on the radio (J Duffy show) said earlier that the budget would €2.50 to a bag of coal, and 50c to a bale of briquettes. He was quizzed on his figures but was adamant he was right

Well he either got his maths wrong or he is using this budget to his advantage.

I wouldn't claim to be great at maths but the tax is ten euro per tonne which is 1000kg. A bag of coal is 40 kg so theres 25 in a tonne. Ten euro split 25 ways is 40 cent. Thats my take on it but I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Well he either got his maths wrong or he is using this budget to his advantage.

I wouldn't claim to be great at maths but the tax is ten euro per tonne which is 1000kg. A bag of coal is 40 kg so theres 25 in a tonne. Ten euro split 25 ways is 40 cent. Thats my take on it but I'm open to correction.

No guys.

Weston Flat Gurney it's €10.00 per tonne of CARBON, not €10.00 per tonne of coal according to that guy on the Duffy show today.

and the increase comes in on 1st May 2013

From Citizens Information

"Carbon tax

The carbon tax will be extended to solid fuels on a phased basis. A rate of €10 per tonne will be applied with effect from 1 May 2013 and a rate of €20 per tonne from 1 May 2014"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭vickers209

As said above its 10 euro per tonne of carbon which equates to €30 per tonne of smokey coal which will be a €60 increase per tonne in 2014. I work in coal industry but not sure amount of carbon emitted from smokeless fuels and Eco friendly fuels at the minute. Id image that there be little or no carbon from ecologs and the like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Exactly so €30.00/25 = €1.20 per 40 kg bag

Rising to

€2.40 per bag in May 2014

Taking that a bag of premium smoky coal is €17.00 NOW figures going forward will be

May 2013 - €18.20

May 2014 - €19.40

As we all know this Carbon "Stealth" Tax will never come off the price, it might never be increased but you can be damn sure it will NEVER be DECREASED :mad::mad::mad::mad:

vicwatson wrote: »

tippwarrior it's €10.00 per tonne of CARBON, not €10.00 per tonne of coal according to that guy on the Duffy show today.

Thanks I wasn't aware its per tonne of carbon. Sorry if I misled anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

vickers209 wrote: »
    As said above its 10 euro per tonne of carbon which equates to €30 per tonne of smokey coal which will be a €60 increase per tonne in 2014. I work in coal industry but not sure amount of carbon emitted from smokeless fuels and Eco friendly fuels at the minute. Id image that there be little or no carbon from ecologs and the like

Thanks having a homer DOH moment here. Didn't realise it was going up in 2014 too.

I assume they'll be using the SEI figures:
    Peat briquettes 1.8336 tonne CO2 / tonne: 23c / bale 2013 - 46c / bale 2014
    Coal 2.634 tonne CO2 / tonne: €1.05 per bag 2013 - €2.10 2014

http://cmt.epa.ie/Global/CMT/emission_factor_sources.pdf

Ironically as smokeless fuels are higher carbon content this will favour the smokey bituminous ones in terms of perceived price, obviously in reality higher cabon = higher heat output.

At a guess close to €1.30 a bag 2013 and €2.60 a bag 2014 for the high carbon stove ovids / anthracite and €1.21 / €2.42 per bag for the open fire type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Carley353 wrote: »
    Grange Builders Providers & EEC Hardware in Santry are now displaying a price of €3.95 for a bale of briquettes, presumably as a result of the carbon tax increase on fuel :(

Carbon tax not in until next May.

Ba****ds. Was gonna buy another 20 bales this weekend.

Next best that I know of are the AppleGreen stations - 10 for €35

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

2.99 for BNM this Saturday only , Ganlys in Athlone Longford and Mountbellew check the Christmas Promotions flyer on www.ganlys.ie for confirmation - I have no connection with Ganlys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

dfbemt wrote: »
    Carbon tax not in until next May.

Ba****ds. Was gonna buy another 20 bales this weekend.

Next best that I know of are the AppleGreen stations - 10 for €35

i know i keep going on about this place and no i have no connection with it but ABS Building Supplies have BNM briquettes 3 for €10 not bad at all so it would be 9 for €30

• Registered Users Posts: 6 seanritchie73

In firehouse tallaght kiltiper road in the fuel yard polish coal €14 a bag all year round I find it great quility coal...3 bails briquettes €10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

Limerick, 13.90/40kg bag of polish coal delivered, 061 455 276

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Carley353

i know i keep going on about this place and no i have no connection with it but ABS Building Supplies have BNM briquettes 3 for €10 not bad at all so it would be 9 for €30

Says 3 for €12 now on their website or €4.25 each. They all seem to have increased their prices straight after the budget. I didn't realise it wasn't supposed to take effect until May 2013 :mad:

• Advertisement

Says 3 for €12 now on their website or €4.25 each. They all seem to have increased their prices straight after the budget. I didn't realise it wasn't supposed to take effect until May 2013 :mad:

I bought some friday evening the sign outside the door says 3 for €10. Got myself 3 40kg black diamond fireflame coal 3 brickets and 3 bags logs for €60.00 fairly decent imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ABS Building Supplies

Our first post..... Here Goes

We've signed up, so any questions feel free to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Have you a place in Waterford?

no not in waterford im afraid, just Dublin

So is the 3 bales of briquettes for €10 still available or have you increased your prices in advance of the carbon tax?

• Advertisement

Yes they are 3 for €10.00 Sold out this morning more due monday

Okay thanks. How long will they be at this price as your website has 3 for €12 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭deckycoop

If any1 is near the border it still pays to cross it and get deals.. 78cent for kero a litre.. and 50kg bags off texan brand coal. Its great quality for 16 euro. I got 100euro of kero and 50euro of coal... the difference is crazy for what you get down south,.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

deckycoop wrote: »
    If any1 is near the border it still pays to cross it and get deals.. 78cent for kero a litre.. and 50kg bags off texan brand coal. Its great quality for 16 euro. I got 100euro of kero and 50euro of coal... the difference is crazy for what you get down south,.

Where,we have a long border:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭deckycoop

Sorry. Derrylin co fermanagh. Just after ballyconnell..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

yard beside the headline pub at leonards corner is selling 10 bales of briquettes for €30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

scudzilla wrote: »
    3.29 for briquettes, 12.49 for a 40kg Bord Na Mona Coal and 3.99 for 8KG of logs in Navan and Trim, ends tomorrow

coal.jpg

I bought 2 of these 40kg bags, finished them last week, not good at all, the coal pieces are pretty small, a lot of slack in bottom of bag and a lot of tennis balls sized peat bricks in there.

Gone back to the 14euro/40kg Polish stuff, a lot hotter and nice pieces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 notinmyname

Can't recall the name, but I heard a builder supplier in Tallaght is doing.

2 x 40kg coal bags
    2 x bags of turf
    2 x bags of logs
    2 x bales of briquettes (BNM)

€45

Sounded good to me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

deckycoop wrote: »
    Sorry. Derrylin co fermanagh. Just after ballyconnell..

where in derrylin, is it the garage at the end of derrylin, with the jetwash in it?

Okay thanks. How long will they be at this price as your website has 3 for €12 ?

To the New Year at least.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Grange Builders Providers & EEC Hardware in Santry are now displaying a price of €3.95 for a bale of briquettes, presumably as a result of the carbon tax increase on fuel :(

Funny then that we bought 40 bales of BnM for 3 euro each this morning.;)

People queing up to buy them.:D

got your leaflet in the door today, how long does the offers last?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

paddy147 wrote: »
    Funny then that we bought 40 bales of BnM for 3 euro each this morning.;)

People queing up to buy them.:D

Cheers Paddy.

Leave some for the rest of us.....

dfbemt wrote: »
    Cheers Paddy.

Leave some for the rest of us.....

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

Paddy loves flashing pics of his briquettes :D

casio4 wrote: »
    Paddy loves flashing pics of his briquettes :D

Dont forget the tree trunks and wood too.:P;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

ok give us your address and the minute I see snow I'm coming to your house;):D

casio4 wrote: »
    ok give us your address and the minute I see snow I'm coming to your house;):D

As my dad used to say to me....

"better to be looking at it,than looking for it"

Wize words from a wize man.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

scudzilla wrote: »
    I bought 2 of these 40kg bags, finished them last week, not good at all, the coal pieces are pretty small, a lot of slack in bottom of bag and a lot of tennis balls sized peat bricks in there.

Gone back to the 14euro/40kg Polish stuff, a lot hotter and nice pieces

Theres a petrol station out the kentstown road at the johnstown turnoff does/did a 40kg bag of coal for 11;50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

I went down to Grange today and the briquettes are still €3 a bale, got another boot load to top up the stash.

A couple of pics just for Paddy147 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 41 CottonMouth

I haven't found anything better than €19 or 3 for €55 for 40kg bags of Arigna Ecobrite or Cosyglo.
    It's from Tom Phibbs Fuels with free delivery in Wicklow and Dublin.

Seems to be 15 - 16 a bag over the West of Ireland, anyone find a similar deal on east coast and willing to share before I order this.

I haven't found anything better than €19 or 3 for €55 for 40kg bags of Arigna Ecobrite or Cosyglo.

Seems to be 15 - 16 a bag over the West of Ireland, anyone find a similar deal on east coast and willing to share before I order this.

19 euro for a 40 kilo bag of Black Diamond CosyGlo Gems coal in Eddies fuel supplies in Dublin 13 (hole in the wall road).

Great het of it and good for use in a stove.:)

paddy147 wrote: »
    19 euro for a 40 kilo bag of Black Diamond CosyGlo Gems coal in Eddies fuel supplies in Dublin 13 (hole in the wall road).

Great het of it and good for use in a stove.:)

So €19 a bag & free delivery is the best deal going in Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eboarde

I ordered from Tom Phibbs above a week ago and no response, I also left a message on his mobile to no avail!

Has anyone got in touch with him?

eboarde wrote: »
    I ordered from Tom Phibbs above a week ago and no response, I also left a message on his mobile to no avail!

No, I changed to Malones Coal in Coolmine instead for Phurnacite & Supertherm delivered @ €19 instead. I don't want a week long delay...

• Advertisement

So €19 a bag & free delivery is the best deal going in Dublin area.

Well its the cheapest I can find the 40kg CosyGlo Gems on the Northside so far.

Woodies are doing 20kg bags of CosyGlo Gems for 10 euro,and if you are an OAP you would get 10% off on a Thursday.

But Im not an OAP.....yet.:D

We bought a load more BnM briquettes off of Grange (2 euro 99 cents a bale) this morning and 2 x 40kg bags of the CosyGlo gems from Eddies on the way home too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

anything happening lately, running low on everything except briquettes!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

eboarde wrote: »

Got response and delivery

All good

Could also try liquidationfuels.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

Black Diamond easyflame smokless nuggets 40 kg bag for 13.80 (local petrolstation) , would that be ok price to pay after new carbon tax thing added?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Seamus1964 wrote: »
    Black Diamond easyflame smokless nuggets 40 kg bag for 13.80 (local petrolstation) , would that be ok price to pay after new carbon tax thing added?

seems really cheap, your sure its a 40kg bag?

• Advertisement
Advertisement