Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

wyeth/phizer newbridge Maternity benefit

Options
  • 01-03-2011 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

hi there
    im hoping that someone here will be able to help my friend.
    she had a baby last november and works in wyeth/phizer in newbridge.
    she doent have a employee handbook at home and wants to chek over there maternity plocy, she is reluctant to ring hr or work colleagues as she is thinking of not going back and is wondering will she have to pay the money they paid her while on maternity leave back?
    thanks all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

pologirl wrote: »
    hi there
    she doent have a employee handbook at home and wants to chek over there maternity plocy, she is reluctant to ring hr or work colleagues as she is thinking of not going back and is wondering will she have to pay the money they paid her while on maternity leave back?
    thanks all!

That wont be in an employee handbook. Best thing to do is to contact her HR department.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

pologirl wrote: »
    hi there
    thanks all!

No, she will not have to pay it back, she was entitled to maternity pay.
    She will however have to give her notice in to HR or her supervisor.

*Sends CV to Wyeth...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 35 pologirl

hi
    are yiu sure she wint have to pay it back if she decides to leave?
    some employers she has heard make you pay back the portion thay they pay (not social welfare part|) if you dont return to work or leave within 6 months of returning. thats what shes worried about!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

She needs to talk to her hr department or get a copy of the company handbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Skadi

If she isn't going back she will have to hand in her notice before maternity leave ends as you still have to give them the same amount of notice as if you were in the office working.

I have heard that companies can ask for the money they paid you back. It depends on the company and normally as they often don't have set rules it can depend on HR. So contacting HR is the best thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭seandeas

Company paid Maternity Pay is a benefit not a right and certainly not a legal right, as employers are not obliged to pay it.

I would imagine the employer in this case has a fairly clear cut Mat. Leave policy. Fairly standard is that a person must come back to work for at least a year otherwise they have to pay the mat. pay back (not the State portion obviously).

Advertisement