Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorway chase leaves innocent third party dead following collision

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

We are all victims of the choices we make, sadly sometimes others are to.

Rip

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Gordon Minard

Frightening

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

The experts in the Indo comments section having their say I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Gordon Minard

Travellers in the car that Gardaí were trying to apprehend . . . :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Gone in the blink of an eye - remember one morning on the N11 at 7am, heavyish traffic at c.90kph when an R11 van shot past everyone on the hard shoulder. Reported him but we all know the story there :mad:
    The best everyone can hope for is to make it back home alive every time we step outside the door.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭lighterman

Travellers in the car that Gardaí were trying to apprehend . . . :-(

i presume you have a link to this info

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭sjb25

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/fatal-crash-car-was-chased-after-crime-spree-30691770.html

'€100 Polo' -
    It is understood that the car was bought in Co Meath this week for as little at €100 and that the five occupants are from Dublin and Meath. It is understood at least three of the suspects are related to each other.

The 1996 Volkswagen was bought in Meath before the gang went on a nationwide crime spree

Regarding Vehicle Gallery discussion - no amount of high-speed Audis etc would have made a different outcome to this tragedy. A Hyundai on the tail of a junker is worth 5 hi-speed pursuit vehicles 20km away, it's down to each Garda driver BEING PROPERLY TRAINED in police driving and ending the pursuit ASAP. Not 'tailing' a reckless driver while waiting for a Super to make the call :mad:

Capri wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/fatal-crash-car-was-chased-after-crime-spree-30691770.html

'€100 Polo' -.

Regarding Vehicle Gallery discussion - no amount of high-speed Audis etc would have made a different outcome to this tragedy. A Hyundai on the tail of a junker is worth 5 hi-speed pursuit vehicles 20km away, it's down to each Garda driver BEING PROPERLY TRAINED in police driving and ending the pursuit ASAP. Not 'tailing' a reckless driver while waiting for a Super to make the call :mad:

So, you are saying that the Gardaí involved weren't trained? You obviously wowork for GSOC and have completed your investigation then.

And you are also fully aware of the full content of the driver training packages. Good on you.

So, you are saying that the Gardaí involved weren't trained? You obviously wowork for GSOC and have completed your investigation then.

And you are also fully aware of the full content of the driver training packages. Good on you.

Capri it's only Garda members that can say they are not trained. if a member of the public say it they seem to hita raw nerve. Hilarious.

There was only a thread awhile ago about The majority of them being on CPD 1 and they needing CPD 2.

I thought it was only fair to say they weren't trained going on law of averages.

• Advertisement

lighterman wrote: »
    Capri it's only Garda members that can say they are not trained. if a member of the public say it they seem to hita raw nerve. Hilarious.

There was only a thread awhile ago about The majority of them being on CPD 1 and they needing CPD 2.

I thought it was only fair to say they weren't trained going on law of averages.

No, there is a difference between highlighting that there are so many on CBD1 compared to CBD2.

What Capri had implied in their post is that that the Gardaí involved were untrained for the situation. They could have all been instructor level drivers but we don't know yet. That will come out in the GSOC report.

No, there is a difference between highlighting that there are so many on CBD1 compared to CBD2.

What Capri had implied in their post is that that the Gardaí involved were untrained for the situation. They could have all been instructor level drivers but we don't know yet. That will come out in the GSOC report.

I'm not saying they were or they weren't but again the law of averages say they weren't trained. I'm sure the odds would be fairly high that the first 3 drivers that came upon the car were trained.

But at the end of the day it's only opinion being stated here not fact. So there is no point in getting worked up about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

lighterman wrote: »

If you see the photo in the press there was traffic corp and RSU on the chase. They are all CPD 2/3

Rip to the women who died

Hope the members are recovering well and public too

POGAN wrote: »
    If you see the photo in the press there was traffic corp and RSU on the chase. They are all CPD 2/3

Rip to the women who died

Hope the members are recovering well and public too

I also see fire and ambulance service at the scene in these photos. I'm thinking they weren't on the chase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

A 1 litre Polo? you'd think they could get that off the road to prevent harm to innocent members of the public, especially when it was full? is that right, it was full?

Originally Posted by Capri
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-30691770.html

'€100 Polo' -.

Regarding Vehicle Gallery discussion - no amount of high-speed Audis etc would have made a different outcome to this tragedy. A Hyundai on the tail of a junker is worth 5 hi-speed pursuit vehicles 20km away, it's down to each Garda driver BEING PROPERLY TRAINED in police driving and ending the pursuit ASAP. Not 'tailing' a reckless driver while waiting for a Super to make the call

foreign wrote: »

I've highlighted what I DID say in my original post - I did not IMPLY that the Gardai in this particular chase were trained or untrained, I was merely stating my opinion that ALL Garda drivers should be FULLY trained as nobody knows the time nor the day when they're going to come face to face with a dangerous situation and there's no good saying 'Wait for the RSU / CPD2 driver' etc. You can't press 'Pause' on real life, or do a Star Trek 'beam me there' at motorway speeds - action needs to be taken as soon as safely possible, not a high speed convoy waiting for them to run out of fuel (they'd only filled up anyway, giving them a range of c.300miles at Polo consumption )

AND I know that if the little scumbags had been killed instead, or a new patrol car damaged, then there'd be hell to pay in terms of GSOC / Media attention - 'between a Rock and a hard place' comes to mind :mad:

International ways of handling chases - https://www.google.ie/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=&oq=police+chase+videos&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADRA_enIE451IE451&q=police+chase+videos+youtube&gs_l=hp..2.0l5.0.0.0.721531...........0.NKVUvFaUujA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

In this instance, Id tolerate them being rammed off the road, maybe the Gardai should have a few pursuit cars at specific choke points/areas (older cars) with bull bars, doesnt have to be new, and ram these fcukers off the road.
    They seem more than willing to cut up decent people for slight infractions of the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

So they were on bail at the time. What even happened to the tighter bail laws that we had a referendum on in the late 90's ? Hope the judge who released these guys gets his own taste of karma..

Capri wrote: »

Every county has different ways of dealing with chases. Even in the UK and US (As we are most familiar due to TV) different forces/departments have different policies. Some had PIT, TPAC or simple follow procedures. And again, for watching TV and YouTube clips, it is difficult to even carry out those manoeuvres due to the driving of the car being pursued and the traffic conditions.

The police on the ground and the ones in the control room are the ones who have to make the decisions whether to continue the pursuit or to authorise PIT and TPAC or to call off the pursuit.

Advertisement