Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SEAI or Home Renovation Grant - Builder not recommending

Options
  • 23-10-2014 2:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello

Have received a quote just the other day from a building contractor for renovation work on my house.

Includes

- insulation (external walls)
    - new boiler (combi boiler with booster pump) -- which I'm not 100% sure of (will review the Combi boiler threads here)
    - new rads for kitchen/bathroom
    - plumbing
    - tiling
    - extension - includes RSJ Post & beam to engineers approval
    - kitchen
    - bathroom
    - windows etc

He is keen for me to let him know asap so as to start the job and I feel slightly under pressure at the mo - though it's not intentional on his part as he needs to know for other jobs lined up.
    It will be a big job and will mean me leaving my house for approx 6-7weeks..and ermm don't start me on re getting packed up ...yikes!
    Just a lot on at the mo and would like to check more re what heating system to use etc. BTW house is small.

Anyway I did pose the question re SEAI grant and he said it may mean paying more as it would entail more heating requirements etc.

I need to confirm is he SEAI registered plus the plumber that will be used etc. Looks like he is under the Home Energy Scheme as stated on his invoice but I will confirm as not listed on the SEAI site for registered contractors - but then again it will probably be the plumber for this particular grant or maybe builder too.

Plus he can start in under 2 weeks. Reviewing the Boards.ie website and all the great threads here time could be limited to apply if he wants to start in over a weeks time. Though I know what I should be asking myself..do I want the construction to start in such a short time.

Cost is above the limit of the Home Renovation Incentive scheme.

Home Renovation Incentive Scheme -The scheme allows home owners claim a credit on the tax liability of up to 13.5% of the cost of the project up to a limit of €30,000.

Not sure what my question is (first time asking one on Boards :) )

Do builders in general try not to recommend the SEAI grant or Home Renovation Grant.

Plus has anyone applied for either grants recently and timeframe involved.

Building contractor wants to know the next few days the latest (i.e tomorrow).

Ideal Home Show is on at the w'end and I'm planning on going to get further info on the schemes and ideas

Cheers

Boards.ie Newbie -- be kind :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Are you willing to loose €3,500 VAT repayment + SEAI GRANT for insulation (which is large) and boiler grant.
    From builder who is pushing you, and is not on the SEAI regestered at the moment !

Ding Ding Ding Ding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

If you feel like he is pushing/pressuring you into making a decision my advice would be to tell him to forget about it.
    Sounds like he has you on the back foot before he even starts the job

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cuppatime

Thank you scudo2 , I wrote my query late last night hence very long as was thrashing it out in my head.

Your answer is my question...Am I willing to loose the VAT repayment and SEAI Grant?

Yes I should be hearing the ding ding ding dings...they are indeed getting a bit louder now.

Going to talk to the Builder today

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

cuppatime wrote: »
    Hello

Cost is above the limit of the Home Renovation Incentive scheme.

Home Renovation Incentive Scheme -The scheme allows home owners claim a credit on the tax liability of up to 13.5% of the cost of the project up to a limit of €30,000

you can still claim the tax credit up to the 30,000 limit even if the project costs more than the 30,000 max. so thats another 4,000 that you are doing yourself out of.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Also having to meet the grant requirements, should give you a better quality build and heating installation.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement

Cheers Wilser..yes I think you maybe right.

Though he does seem very decent and fair plus showed me some of his work in my neighborhood and the workmanship is great.

Yes I better get off my back foot prompto and not got bamboozled re getting started asap..ready for Xmas etc.

The work is needed and I definitely need insulation..but can hold off for a bit and wear an extra jumper and get the hot water bottle out :)

Will see what he says later, thank you again.

You need to have confidence in anyone working for you. You've uneasy feelings at this stage, so hold fire. Have you had other quotes? If not, get another 2 at least. It's not just about the actual quote, you will in effect be interviewing a prospective employee and YOU have the final say. Don't rush into anything.

Cheers Maryanne84, yes did receive another quote though was a while back the Builder now is more economical.. yes I should get another one or 2 to be sure.

Been off the list for a day or two is not unusual, it's happened to me. Been off the list long term is a different matter.

REASONS:
    No valid tax clearance cert.
    No valid insurance.
    No VAT regesteration
    Previous workmanship not up to standard ( you get penalty points ) enough and your gone.
    Voluntary leaving scheme.

My case:
    My insurance broker forgot to send in the cert. it was sorted next day.

Same can happen with a tax clearance cert. (5 days max.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If he's not wanting you to apply for grants then he's not registered and possibly not paying vat.
    If your looking for a recommendation there is someone all my family use in Dublin that I can send you details on if you want.

• Advertisement

If he's not wanting you to apply for grants then he's not registered and possibly not paying vat.
    If your looking for a recommendation there is someone all my family use in Dublin that I can send you details on if you want.

NOT ALL PEOPLE LIVE IN DUBLIN !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

cuppatime wrote: »
    Includes

- insulation (external walls)
    - new boiler (combi boiler with booster pump) -- which I'm not 100% sure of (will review the Combi boiler threads here)
    - new rads for kitchen/bathroom
    - plumbing
    - tiling
    - extension - includes RSJ Post & beam to engineers approval
    - kitchen
    - bathroom
    - windows etc

OP, this is a fair bit of work and it seems to me from your posts that you are about to embark on a major project with very little preparation (I hope I'm wrong:)).
    Have you anybody (other than an anonymous internet forum) advising you?

For instance, you mention insulation. What type and what will this do to dew point of the walls? Have you also considered improvements to air tightness or maybe you think insulation is the problem but in fact lack of airtightness (draughts) is the real culprit and upgrading the insulation won't help. What about ventilation? etc etc

If these questions haven't been mentioned or explained in detail to you then I suggest you take your time (and maybe educate yourself a bit more) and wait until you are 100% happy with what you undertake.
    My best piece of advice is not to listen to salemen too much (builders are salesmen too!) and seek out someone who can advise you on all aspects of the project.
    Good luck.

Thank you MicktheMan, very much appreciate your comment..and yes you have hit the nail on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You are spending a lot of money here. Take a step back & do this at your own pace even if it means starting after Christmas.
    There are plenty of builders out there. Don't let him push you. Take your time. Research everything that needs researching. Get a few different quotes. Then ask for references.
    Good luck.

Ps. If the builder invoices you for everything you can get a grant for, heating & insulation you can get a separate invoice for the rest. Or a separate invoice for work up to €30000. You can then claim the vat off this amount.

Advertisement