Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Open fire or stove...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Open a door and let the rest of the house heat if it gets uncomfortably hot? Or burn less fuel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

stooge wrote: »
    looks like that is DIY install? Not wanting to scaremonger here but with any solid fuel fire certain precautions need to be taken with regards Carbon Monoxide?surely certified install is the way to go?

I don't know. I just remember someone telling me about them a few years back and I thought about getting one. Still open fire with back boiler though as planning to sell and don't want to spend money on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

It has no benefit to the rest of the house at all and the room it is in can get unpleasantly hot rather quickly.

Did you find your open fire a benefit to the rest of the house?
    As mentioned, surely you can solve problem number one by applying problem number two? Or else burn less fuel perhaps? Sounds like you don't really understand how stoves or heating works.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Over the last three weeks in my house I have removed our old Stanley Super 80 solid Fuel range from the Kitchen which was converted into an Oil burner way back in the early 90's. It was an absolute pig of a thing, guzzled oil and never gave much heat to the heating system, really really inefficient.

I also had a back boiler in the living room fireplace, the back boiler sucked the heat from the fire resulting in no proper heat to the room and only a tiny contribution to the overall central heating system. As part of my project I disconnected and the back boiler from the system and drilled it and for the first time ever the open fire in the living room actually provides nice heat as the back-boiler was sucking heat always. I will remove the back boiler entirely and fit a small stove in the living room next year as an open fire is a disaster with ashes and dust and quite often on a windy night the smoke would get blown back down the chimney and stink the whole place, a stove by its more sealed nature helps solve that problem also.

So I replaced the Stanley Super 80 with a Henley Blasket 21kw stove which will drive the central heating and hot water. Simultaneously I fitted fitted a high efficiency Firebird Heatpack 26kw outside boiler as I am still retaining the oil fired option but I expect the new stove to provide the lions share of the heat now instead of the oil. I also pumped the cavity walls during the summer so I'm expecting this winter to have a much warmer house for far less money which will repay the large capital outlay for the stove, oil boiler and installation costs.

The whole thing is a big undertaking but I am glad I've done it because the Firebird boiler provided the first true proper heat this house ever had as the old Stanley Range was beyond useless in that it was underpowered for the size of house also.

I went for a proper registered plumber and I must say it is the way to go, very professional and exact to his standards and absolutely no short-cuts taken and everything done to code and perfection. Yes it will cost me more but I have always believed if something is worth doing it is worth doing right.

There is also alot of cowboy chancer bob the builder types out there now doing stoves as they are selling very well and the Stove industry is undergoing something of a boom and there is also alot of no name unbranded chinese junk stoves on the market. A neighbour of mine called to see my stove install the other day as a new stove he fitted two years ago saw the entire grate melt and its now pretty much useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Effects wrote: »
    Did you find your open fire a benefit to the rest of the house?
    As mentioned, surely you can solve problem number one by applying problem number two? Or else burn less fuel perhaps? Sounds like you don't really understand how stoves or heating works.

Obviously I have opened the door to try benefit the rest of the house, I am not entirely stupid. Yes I also burn less fuel now to prevent the build up of too much heat. And no, my open fire did not benefit the rest of the house either. I have a grasp on how heating and fire works, no need for sarky comments. I just rather the open Fire. OP asked people's opinions and that was my two cents. The heat for some reason does not circulate around the house so once we move from the kitchen the stove may as well not be lit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Try a fan, even a tiny one.

Advertisement