Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What grade of ply ??

Options
  • 03-10-2014 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

Joists are current going on roof and I plan on installing the attic floor before the rafters are put up.

It's been suggested to use 18mm WBP as it'll be left uncovered and open to the elements for a few weeks.
    Is this the only option ?? How would shuttering ply or OSB3 hold up.

Is there a safe non toxic sealer I could use that won't off gas after the house is made airtight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

Wbp or Osb3 will hold up. There are two sheets around at the moment being called wbp. One is hardwood veneers through and through the other has two hardwood veneers and softwood in the middle. Be careful of the one containing softwood, I've been given it to use on a few sites recently and I notice it begins to delaminate when it's exposed to the elements. I'm currently working on a large project and 15mm t and g osb3 was specified. it has been exposed since February has held up perfectly apart form a bit of minor discolouring which was bound to happen with the sun we had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

What's the finish on the osb like I plan on using this as the attic floor. I was told it can flake and splinter.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

No osb3 wont flake and splinter. Flooring grade osb has a smooth hard finish. I've used it a lot it's perfect for an attic floor. I you go to a supplier they'll show you a sheet and the minute you run your hand across it you'll know.

Any idea of costs for wbp or osb

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

hexosan wrote: »
    Joists are current going on roof and I plan on installing the attic floor before the rafters are put up.

It's been suggested to use 18mm WBP as it'll be left uncovered and open to the elements for a few weeks.

Is there a safe non toxic sealer I could use that won't off gas after the house is made airtight.
    Re off-gassing etc If you can, spend a few extra quid on the low formaldehyde osb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

As a big user of OSB3 and ply, I would say this - there's ply and there's ply......there is a large amount of poor quality 'wpb' that is nothing of the sort on the market in the EU as a whole, imported in bulk from some far away places.

For a genuine quality hardwood ply, Latvia it The place to get it.

I wouldn't let cheap Far Eastern or Chinese or Brazilian ply inside the door.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I got a price on osb3 from smart ply which claim they don't use formaldehyde @ €17.60 a sheet.
    Building merchants said the same thing about ply and recommended osb in its place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I got a price on osb3 from smart ply which claim they don't use formaldehyde @ €17.60 a sheet.
    Building merchants said the same thing about ply and recommended osb in its place.

True, none of the mainstream OSB manufacturers I know of use any formaldehyde anyway.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

@galwaytt is this a good price at €17.65 incl vat per sheet or can it be sourced cheaper.

So I decided to go with osb3 in the end. Mainly because the quality of the ply couldn't be guaranteed by any of the building providers unless I went with marine and then I was into mega bucks.

It's been down a few days and took some heavy rain. A few bits have flaked off the top surface but the roofer said this is normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

So I decided to go with osb3 in the end. Mainly because the quality of the ply couldn't be guaranteed by any of the building providers unless I went with marine and then I was into mega bucks.

It's been down a few days and took some heavy rain. A few bits have flaked off the top surface but the roofer said this is normal.

I thought from an earlier post that OSB wouldn't flake? Isn't this supposed to be your finished attic floor?

I thought from an earlier post that OSB wouldn't flake? Isn't this supposed to be your finished attic floor?

I originally thought so but once you see the finish on the boards there's no way you couldn't expect some flaking.

I'm happy enough with it as its only going to be for storage and its better than hop-scotching across joists.
    I think cork2 was referring to a different grade than the one I got which was just 18mm osb3 from smart ply. It was the only type the building providers had and I couldn't afford (time wise) to wait for anything else.

Advertisement