Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Save Theme Options in Wordpress

Options
  • 24-11-2013 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I'm thinking of changing the theme of my site. I use wordpress and want to test the layout of my new theme before I buy it and replace the other one.

I've made substantial changes to the old theme in customisation, CSS editing, changing HTML and Javascript code etc. How can I download my whole theme and settings along with a backup of my blog posts so that I can refresh this back if I don't like the new theme?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

You can use the BackupWordpress plugin. Just note: it will be default start scheduled backups after install, you may wish to configure it after making the initial site backup

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

Cool. Thanks Nick.

So, if I use this, it'll restore my previous theme with all the changes I've made? I mean, after I change to the new theme if I want to revert?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Personally, I'd also make a full backup of the site and database but maybe I'm just paranoid about that type of thing.

In fact thinking about, it I wouldn't even touch the live site. I'd be testing on a copy of the existing site.

Cool. Thanks Nick.

So, if I use this, it'll restore my previous theme with all the changes I've made? I mean, after I change to the new theme if I want to revert?

This will do a full site backup including the db. That's what I thought you wanted. Do a full site backup, download xampp and make your changes on the local Xampp server as Graham suggests. Much handier and less of an issue if things don't quite go to plan.. :)
    When your finished your theme work and it tests fine locally upload the theme folder onto the live site and activate it/re-do the widget positions etc.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I've made substantial changes to the old theme in customisation, CSS editing, changing HTML and Javascript code etc. How can I download my whole theme and settings along with a backup of my blog posts so that I can refresh this back if I don't like the new theme?
    You can save the content via Tools/Export.

If your theme has a settings export option then use that too.

The new theme (likely) will be in a different directory so will not overwrite the files of your current directory when you upload the files. You might be able to use the Appearance/Themes/Live Preview to make a good few theme changes before making the new theme live.

Of course, as said earlier, it is best to do some testing on a test site.

Aside: if you are making code or css changes to downloaded theme, it is best to create a child theme so that updates to the downloaded theme do not overwrite your changes.

• Advertisement

daymobrew wrote: »
    You can save the content via Tools/Export.

If your theme has a settings export option then use that too.

The new theme (likely) will be in a different directory so will not overwrite the files of your current directory when you upload the files. You might be able to use the Appearance/Themes/Live Preview to make a good few theme changes before making the new theme live.

Of course, as said earlier, it is best to do some testing on a test site.

Aside: if you are making code or css changes to downloaded theme, it is best to create a child theme so that updates to the downloaded theme do not overwrite your changes.
    I don't think Wordpress's export function saves the file system. Just produces an xml file containing all your content and settings. Not sure it includes extension data even. A full backup and develop locally is the way to go :) . There may also be issues with Widget placements changing if a new theme is being constructed

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    I don't think Wordpress's export function saves the file system. Just produces an xml file containing all your content and settings. Not sure it includes extension data even. A full backup and develop locally is the way to go :) . There may also be issues with Widget placements changing if a new theme is being constructed
    You are right that Tools/Export only says content - my first sentence says this.
    Yes, a full backup is a good idea.

The widgets should be in the "Inactive Widgets" area (bottom of Appearance/Widgets page) and ready to be dragged into the new widget areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tonyfburke

you should be able to back up the site through your hosting options just in case of disaster. It can happen, I have lost some sites by changing css by testing, but been able to go through FTP or hosting backups to fix it. exporting xml files and backups through plugins will not necessarily mean you can reload previous sites as they were, as themes update, you can loose any custom changes. the wordpress forum is full of warnings about using child themes.
    Personally, I load many themes for testing and so far nothing goes wrong with existing theme. It is always there to reload if I dont like the new one. Any meta data you have loaded in your existing theme will not carry over though, so if you have webmaster verifications in your existing theme, you will need to load them up again into new theme.

tonyfburke wrote: »
    the wordpress forum is full of warnings about using child themes.
    I've never heard this. I always use child themes.
    Do you have any thread links for this? I would like to know the possible issues with child themes.
    (I do know that some themes are not child theme friendly but that is because they are not well written e.g. they use get_template_directory instead of get_spreadsheet_directory)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tonyfburke

sorry daymobrew,
    I should have explained a bit more. It relates to the sentence before "as themes update, you can loose any custom changes. the wordpress forum is full of warnings about using child themes". I meant the forums are full of warnings about 'must' using child themes, so if you choose to update the theme, you do not loose any custom changes. Apologies for any confusion. Using child themes is the recommended option by the wordpress people.

Interestingly, on the wordpress forum, you will not receive any help from users unless you are using a child theme, and link your site so the experts can assess and post a thread to help. So it looks like you are on the right track . Apparently 85% of wordpress users modify the themes, and only 35% use child themes.

Personally, in my opinion, In 14 wordpress sites that I am involved in, I never use child themes. I find it too restrictive. Most wordpress themes, 2011,2012 and 2013 are decent on publication. Add in the styles plugin and you have lots of control over the range of font and colour availability without having to change any code on the site. For me, learning to change a bit of code here and there is half the fun. And of course I do prefer manually adding meta data to the header and footer file. Bear in mind, the only reason to use a child theme is protect your changes from theme updates. if you do not plan to update the theme, you do not necessarily have to use a child theme. there are also nice plugins to add css code, if you are just planing small updates. As a matter of interest, which theme do you use daymobrew? And v.e.r.b.a.l., are you sorted out yet?

• Advertisement

tonyfburke wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, which theme do you use daymobrew?
    When starting a site from scratch (i.e. not using a bought theme) I use WooThemes Canvas, but most of the time I start with a theme from the likes of ThemeForest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

sorry to be a bit late to this but you could always just copy the wp-content folder to your computer that would contain all the images themes that you uploaded to the site using wordpress

as for text using a database backup wp-db-backup

or just go to the mysql interface on your hosting and export the tables in sql

Advertisement